Hughesnet Community

Christmas and New Year break is either here or starting in the next couple of days.....

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Christmas and New Year break is either here or starting in the next couple of days.....

Things will most likely slow down for many of us regardless the time with the kiddies home. They love downloading, streaming, you name it.
73 REPLIES 73
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Good warning.  LOL. 
Amanda

And us Mods will be out Friday & Monday. We'll make an official post to remind everyone soon. My advice? Download things now, store your saved up movies and hibernate for the weekend like some kind of Data Bear. 

Amanda
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
maratsade

Amanda and all the mods: have a great holiday!
maratsade

I see you have your priorities straight, Corrosive. 🙂
Amanda

Thank you! I will be hibernating on the couch as my gift to myself.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

You guys already got a huge early Christmas gift.  🙂
Amanda

????????

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

That does look sweet. No stoning, just personally like being able to choose, setup and control my own router. Also see where an all-in-one solution would benefit many less tech savvy customers.
GabeU

All in one computers certainly became popular with the folks who want plug and play and nothing more than the basics.  I'm sure something like this would be popular with a lot of people. 
GabeU

Much money for the manufacturers, too, especially when someone decides they want to play computer games or do something else that requires a bit more than their computer offers.   A video card upgrade?  NOT!  LOL. 
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Hey now, some of those AIO's, especially from the likes of MSI and ASUS, actually let you use a normal desktop GPU upto like 120w TDP or so...  But those ones tend to be the ones, ya know, not found in the likes of Walmart, Office Depot, or BestBuy.
GabeU

But those ones tend to be the ones, ya know, not found in the likes of Walmart, Office Depot, or BestBuy.
Exactly.  And that's the problem when it comes to most of those who are looking for an AIO.  People looking for something that simple, for the most part, aren't going to look at places like newegg or even Amazon.  Plus, most who purchase an AIO have absolutely no clue what a separate GPU is, nor why they may need it, or a better one, in the future.  Not all, but the vast majority.   
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Heh, my first desktop was an HP Pavilion back in 2001, had an 800Mhz P3 with 32MB of ram...  Didn't know what a GPU was or anything... Eventually Warcraft III came out, and I needed to upgrade as it wouldn't play.  Much research later (I was a wee lil lad at the time), I bought a GeForce2 MMX 64MB graphics card, and 2 sticks of 256MB PC133 SDRAM.  First ever upgrade.  Felt like going from a bicycle to a jetliner.  Now in days... Well, most anything you buy in the store will suffice.
GabeU

The Geforce 2 MX was the very first video card I ever purchased.  My Dell wouldn't run System Shock 2, so I talked to a guy who came into my work and he told me what I needed.  Installed it and was blown away.   

It was also the first time that I installed anything in a computer myself.  I had upgraded a previous computer from 8MB to 16MB of EDO ram, but the shop from which I had purchased the computer installed it, not me.  It was my introduction, if you will, to the inner workings of a computer.  Four years later I built my first desktop.     

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Blah, blah, blah. : )

I built all my desktops until I stopped about 14 years ago and went to laptops. Outgrew needing all the horsepower for the latest games plus started doing other things with spare time. Although my latest laptop is pretty beefy in the spec department: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232447

First desktop I built was an 8088 back in '87 when I got back from Germany. Computer Shopper magazine was my bible. Thick as a big city phone book.