Hughesnet Community

Christmas and New Year break is either here or starting in the next couple of days.....

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Christmas and New Year break is either here or starting in the next couple of days.....

Things will most likely slow down for many of us regardless the time with the kiddies home. They love downloading, streaming, you name it.
73 REPLIES 73
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Portal is built on pretty much the same engine as HL2, physics system is the same as well if I am not mistaken.  Strangely, you will notice HL references in Portal, and if I am not mistaken, Portal references in HL...
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

OK, really retro, Afraid of the Dark anyone?

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Got a set of Klipch 5.1 speakers for Bertha. In HL you can hear them breathing before you can see them.
I think I can break glass with those babies 🙂
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I don't know if this is a negative or positive, but I've never even heard of it, nor the TV show.  LOL. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Should give Sanitarium a try, talk about a freaky game! Tapping out for the night. About time for Stargate Atlantis on Comet TV. I'm such an old fart geek nerd.
GabeU

I see Spartacus there.  I'm recording the series as we speak from Cinemax, though, like usual, I always end up missing the first season before noticing that it's playing. 
GabeU

I'm with you, there.  I probably never end up watching even 25% of what I record on the DVR.  I end up going through every week or so and just deleting things I know that I will never get to, then I fill it right back up again. 
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

You could just end up like me... Setup a server with PLEX and several TB worth of storage... Get a few local friends to do the same, and all of you record all you can when you can...  Then share the data with one another 😄
GabeU

Aren't you limited by the ISP's data with PLEX, or is it something where you can record from anything, like a DirecTV DVR, as well? 
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

PLEX is nothing more than a Media Server that grabs metadata from the likes of TheTVDB, and IMDB, and gives you an interface to access all the content...  There are plugins that let you use Youtube and such inside PLEX, and it also has its own DVR functionality, but the DVR portion is a paid feature right now.  I have PLEX on my server with several TB worth of video and music on it... I told PLEX where Movies are, TV shows, and the Music is... It mostly did all the other work, grabbing posters, episode information, so on.  I then on any computer in the house visit either the Web URL it gives me, or I use a PLEX App (Apps tend to be paid for as well...) and watch all my content via that...

It's very useful if you have several people in a single home and they all might wanna watch something... Single location, Netflix like interface, and you can customize a lot of it.

The only limit in regards to ISP... Never try to download 600 movies, and a few thousand tv episodes worth of information from TheTVDB and IMDB...  Might not seem like a lot of text, but those pictures add up fast, as well as all the metadata.
GabeU

Ah.  I see now.  I thought it was an actual program for downloading and/or saving the movies and TV shows and such and gave the ability to play it back.  Sort of like NightShift being used for Netflix.   
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I stirred once. I got up and grabbed another cold one.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yea, just chilling enjoying the 55 degree weather, everyone is welcome to their white Christmas. Supposed to be mid 60's tomorrow. Props to another "cold one" though. 🙂

Oh, wife got me a sweet Stihl pole saw for Christmas. Grrrrrr......man toy!
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Mine is actually running very good today considering the holiday and cloud cover so thick you could cut it with a knife.