cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Christmas and New Year break is either here or starting in the next couple of days.....

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Christmas and New Year break is either here or starting in the next couple of days.....

I see Spartacus there.  I'm recording the series as we speak from Cinemax, though, like usual, I always end up missing the first season before noticing that it's playing. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Re: Christmas and New Year break is either here or starting in the next couple of days.....

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

GabeU

I'm with you, there.  I probably never end up watching even 25% of what I record on the DVR.  I end up going through every week or so and just deleting things I know that I will never get to, then I fill it right back up again. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

You could just end up like me... Setup a server with PLEX and several TB worth of storage... Get a few local friends to do the same, and all of you record all you can when you can...  Then share the data with one another Smiley Very Happy
GabeU

Aren't you limited by the ISP's data with PLEX, or is it something where you can record from anything, like a DirecTV DVR, as well? 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

PLEX is nothing more than a Media Server that grabs metadata from the likes of TheTVDB, and IMDB, and gives you an interface to access all the content...  There are plugins that let you use Youtube and such inside PLEX, and it also has its own DVR functionality, but the DVR portion is a paid feature right now.  I have PLEX on my server with several TB worth of video and music on it... I told PLEX where Movies are, TV shows, and the Music is... It mostly did all the other work, grabbing posters, episode information, so on.  I then on any computer in the house visit either the Web URL it gives me, or I use a PLEX App (Apps tend to be paid for as well...) and watch all my content via that...

It's very useful if you have several people in a single home and they all might wanna watch something... Single location, Netflix like interface, and you can customize a lot of it.

The only limit in regards to ISP... Never try to download 600 movies, and a few thousand tv episodes worth of information from TheTVDB and IMDB...  Might not seem like a lot of text, but those pictures add up fast, as well as all the metadata.
GabeU

Ah.  I see now.  I thought it was an actual program for downloading and/or saving the movies and TV shows and such and gave the ability to play it back.  Sort of like NightShift being used for Netflix.   

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I stirred once. I got up and grabbed another cold one.