Chronic Speed Problems

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sr11
Freshman

Chronic Speed Problems

I am on the 50GB Gen 5 plan, purchased about 3-4 months ago. Since we got it, it's been super slow. Called the Customer Support a few times but they didn't seem to understand what I was saying. So I'll try here. 

Basically, any time between 6AM and 2AM, the internet is near-unusable. It gets worse as the day goes along. From 6AM to NOON, the internet is okay, can't watch any videos (even on 144p settings) but you can browse. From NOON to about 10:30PM it is almost unusuable even to browse. Webpages take 30 seconds to load, sometimes they fail to load at all. Video is completely out of the question during these times. It won't even buffer if you keep it paused. 

I called our Satellite installer and he did a test and said the satellite was positioned fine. No major obstacles in the way. There is another house nearby who has the 20GB plan and their internet is nowhere near as slow as ours so I don't think it's an issue with the area. I've done a few speed tests, but get pretty widely diverging results. The latest series:

1/8/2018

11:19 AM

SpeedTest 1.png

1/8/2018

11:31 AM

SpeedTest 2.pngThis is why it's so annoying. Sometimes the speed tests will say 3.7 Mbps, but there is simply no way I'm even going that fast. That was part of the problem when I was on the phone with the Customer Support, is he kept asking for test results and saying it was fine, but it's not fine. I don't think I explained myself very clearly to him. I can get a test that says 17Mbps and then retest five minutes later and get one that says 35Kbps. I've started downloading videos using a software so I can actually watch stuff (set it to download and wait till tomorrow to watch) but even then there is this huge variance. If I start downloading the video one minute, it will be downloading at like 200 Kbps. The next video, started less than a minute afterward? 11 Kbps. The only time I get relatively consistent speeds is during the super late hours, after 2AM and before 6AM. It's gotten to the point where I would actually be satisfied with 3 Mbps, as long as it was consistent. But it's not consistent at all. 

Now one thing I've noticed is for some reason the Customer Support people think that this is a recent problem. They keep asking if it is cloudy today, or was it raining recently... I want to emphasize. This has been happening since we got the satellite installed. The problem has existed for about 4 months. So far we have not experienced fast internet at all. 

Anyway, I don't know if there is a solution or if I'm just out of luck, but when I called the people who installed the Satellite he mentioned that a few of his customers have had this issue, and he heard it's a problem with the way the satellite controls the traffic, and he said he sent an email to HughesNet asking them to fix my problem. Never heard back from him, and the problem never got fixed. So maybe there is some kind of issue with the system putting me behind all the other traffic, or throttling me by mistake? The one time we exceeded our data limit, there was almost no real change in speed after we were throttled. There was a slight change, but effectively the internet was just as unusable after throttling as it was before. 

Thanks if you've taken the time to read this, would appreciate any help. 

5 REPLIES 5
sr11
Freshman

SpeedTest3.pngMy results from Today, will update tommorow with more results. Really hoping there is a way to fix this!

Hmmm no replies. Oh well, I guess I'll just keep doing speed-tests and hope it magically gets fixed. https://testmy.net/quickstats/HughesNetCustomer
bare65
Advanced Tutor

@sr11

Your initial post may of got buried as there has been an increase in customer inquiries these past few weeks with similar speed issues and there is only a handful of moderators (actual Hughesnet corporate level employees) that can assist you and review your actual account.

They are here during normal business hours, Monday through Friday..

I'll tag @Liz in with this reply so that she might see it when she signs on tomorrow...but like I mentioned, there is a higher number of inquiries this week, so it may take a few extra days for you to get a reply back. Liz is extremely good at what she does though, so please be patient and I have no doubts she will help you out just as fast as she can.

Good morning sr11,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. Thank you for sharing this information, this helps. Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page, I will PM you to further address your concerns.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz

Hi sr11,

Thank you for your patience. Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!