Circle of slowness

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Djhq
New Poster

Circle of slowness

I have the fastes speed I can buy and about every 5 minutes I get the circle interruptions for prime, fubo, Pluto and you tube.  I've called. Sometimes they say go on 5 g sometimes 2 g.  Tried contacting via chat but that would not work.  Wasting my money,

3 REPLIES 3
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

This is a tech and account support site. If you'd like to have your speed issues looked into, you will need to follow the instructions described here:  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/td-p/110034

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Djhq 

You may want to check your speed to see if it's adequate for streaming.  You can do so by running speed tests as outlined here.  Turning off, or snoozing, the Video Data Saver may help, though there are no guarantees.  You may also want to see if lowering the resolution of the stream, whether locally or at the source, makes any difference. 

With this said, streaming can be a bit erratic, especially as of late.  The much higher system load due to so many more people being home is causing more congestion than normal, and when the congestion is coupled with the high latency inherent to satellite internet, it can cause problems with streaming.  Additionally, there is a prioritization policy currently in place to help those working and/or schooling from home, and this policy can negatively affect other high bandwidth activities, like streaming (and file downloads). 

Regarding the 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi, the 2.4GHz band has better range, but it's more susceptible to interference and the speed can be less than the 5GHz band, which is less susceptible to interference, but has a shorter range.  In the end, which band you should use for a particular device is dependant on where the device is in relation to the modem.  It also depends on whether the device in question can use either band, as some can only connect via the 2.4GHz band. 

The HughesNet mobile app has a signal strength tester that can help you to know which band might be better in a particular location of your home.  I'm not familiar with the Apple version of the HughesNet Mobile app, but with the Android version the signal tester is the middle button that pops up when you tap on the orange plus sign on the lower right.  Make sure the mobile device you're using to test is connected to the band you're testing for (2.4GHz vs 5GHz).  i.e. if you wanted to check the signal strength in the area of your TV, make sure your mobile device is set to the same WiFi band the TV is using.  If it can use either band, it'd be a good idea to check both to see which would band would be better for the TV.  In the end, if the device in question can utilize the 5GHz band, and the signal for the 5GHz band in the area of that device is strong, it'd be best to use the 5GHz band for that device.  

You can get the HughesNet Mobile App at The App Store for Apple devices and Google Play for Android devices.

Edit:  Please ignore the redundancy concering the speed testing.  I was composing my reply when maratsade posted, so I didn't see that he already mentioned this.

Liz

Good morning Djhq, 

We're closing this thread since we never got a reply from you. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!