Community Notifications: Part Deux

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Community Notifications: Part Deux

• Community notifications are showing up in Webmail.
  • Webmail is set up to forward emails to an external account. 
  • Webmail is not forwarding emails to the external account. 
  • Grumble. 
20 REPLIES 20
Liz

Hi maratsade,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. This sounds like Gabe's predicament as well. Is the external account also an MSN address?

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

maratsade

No, it's icloud. 

@Liz wrote:

Hi maratsade,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. This sounds like Gabe's predicament as well. Is the external account also an MSN address?

-Liz

Thanks, maratsade. I'll escalate this and post back once I have any news.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

maratsade

Update: now notifications have stopped entirely -- they're not even going to Webmail. 

Good morning, 

Thanks for this update, maratsade. Let me get in touch with the usual suspects.

-Liz

@maratsade wrote:

Update: now notifications have stopped entirely -- they're not even going to Webmail. 

Hope you dont mind, Im going to piggyback on @maratsade  here

@Liz They are stopped for me also. and I am not forwarding anywhere.

That's fine, kitnbob. When did this start happening for you. Are notifications still enabled in your Notification settings? To check your settings, click your profile icon and select Settings to get to this settings page:

-Liz

@Liz wrote:

That's fine, kitnbob. When did this start happening for you. Are notifications still enabled in your Notification settings? To check your settings, click your profile icon and select Settings to get to this settings

I was first alerted to the email problem when I read Gabe's thread.

I started receiving notification emails during your trooubleshooting on 12/08-12/09 then it quit again (grin) but MSN block has been removed. (grin)

Presently there are no emails to my Windows live client or the Zimbra client

The settings are enabled for the default emmediately.

OK folks, thanks for the info. I've already reached out to the same support people who helped resolve this last couple of times. I'll keep you posted on their progress or if we have additional questions.

-Liz

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

Welcome to my world.  😛

Hi maratsade,

Thank you for your patience, I have news regarding the forwards not making it to your external account (iCloud).

Our e-mail admins can see that iCloud is rejecting this content, however they can't see any reason for this. They suggest reaching out to Apple for the reason why they're rejecting these e-mails. Everything seems to indicate the block is on the recipient's (iCloud) end and this would be controlled on their side. 

Please let me know what you find out so I can update our e-mail admins as well.

Thanks,

Liz

maratsade

@Liz , I'll try.  Is there a reason why the notifications aren't making it to HN Webmail, though? 

EDIT: I'd like to wait for this issue (community notifications not going to HN Webmail) to be resolved before tackling the second part of the issue (forwards from HN Webmail to iCloud), as right now there is nothing to forward from HN Webmail (since notifications aren't making it there) so I can't really test the issue.  

maratsade

Test emails sent to HN Webmail forwarded to the iCloud account without a problem.  I think the issue now is to get community notifications to once more go to HN Webmail. I rechecked my settings under Subscriptions & Notifications -- Notification Settings, and they are set to send community notifications to HN Webmail immediately.  That's not happening.... 

Got it, just pending some things on the backend here to confirm whether you were placed back on the bouncelist.

-Liz

maratsade

@Liz wrote:

whether you were placed back on the bouncelist.

-Liz

But I've been SO good! 😉 

Howdy y'all! Long time no chat.

So while Liz is out I am checking in with the various teams working on this behind the scenes. Yesterday we were able to get some logs pulled related to this issue that will help identify the root cause and hopefully an easy fix. We have to coordinate across time zones and holiday schedules, but it is acknowledged as a problem and is actively being investigated.

Thanks

Amanda

maratsade

Thanks, Amanda.   The only issue I'm experiencing right now is community notifications are not being sent to HughesNet Webmail.   Forwarding from Webmail to my external account works just fine. 

Gotcha, that is the exact issue we're looking at. We've got some logged examples of these emails being rejected on one part of the pipeline, so at this point it is a matter of getting the rejecter and rejectee together on a call to bounce some emails back and forth and see where they are getting tripped up.

I'm optimistic on a solution, but I can't guarantee it by the end of the year. Many companies right now put holds on their change windows to prevent bad rollouts/fixes from causing problems and not having enough people in the office to support rollbacks or troubleshooting. Luckily we're almost past that hold time. 

-Amanda

maratsade

No worries. Also, emails sent to my Webmail account show up just fine and forward just fine. It's just the notifications that are stuck. 

Just adding here that after much troubleshooting via PMs, this has been resolved by our e-mail folks and is working normally now. Don't hesitate to start another thread if anything changes.

Thanks,

Liz