cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community vs. Paid Support vs. Knowledge Base vs. Geographic Variations

Community vs. Paid Support vs. Knowledge Base vs. Geographic Variations

I've been lurking in these support forums for a few months. Today I decided to create an account after trying to get a simple answer using a "Simply dial 866-347-3292 for any HughesNet support question." approach.

Basically, I am experiencing like many here are apparently, a frustrating lack of correlation between
  1. actual use
  2. reported use using linked tools on http://my.hughesnet.com/ 
  3. reported use using linked tools on http://www.systemcontrolcenter.com/
  4. reported use using linked tools on https://admportal.myhughesnet.com/ViewUsage/ViewUsageServlet.servlet?siteID=[SANIDHERE]
  5. what is being communicated on support calls to HughesNet
  6. what is being communicated on support emails through a form (that doesn't support attachments)
  7. what the community is advising here (and by the way, sainthood for you folks!)
  8. what is actual possible to recreate or capture when presented with the triage diagram boilerplate of how to troubleshoot Step 1 through etc... etc...

Luckily, I've been reading for comprehension here. I know that customer support is following a triage diagram that likely resembles an upside down tree many years old.

i.e. you must be able to follow this magical catch-22 screenshot flow diagram to ride this ride

Yet, I find myself looking at this for the past several days... and by several I mean weeks of days.

This is just silly.

Why silly? 

Because even when you do call, the suggestions of what to look at and where to get information are invariably going to be... variable.

For example: I was told that to look up information on my modem that "you should be using another site since you are Gen4".

Okay.

I did that. What else was suggested?

"You should look at http://my.hughesnet.com/ to get the detailed reports."

Okay.

It's been like this for, now, over 30 days. Nada.

Then I said, well, I'm seeing huge spikes in traffic use on the "Download Status Meter" showing traffic use when... there is nothing on the network.

I am told "Oh you must have something using that data" and we're right back to the magical take screenshots catch-22 circular logic above.

Then I said, well, I actually read about this in all the forums before signing up because I figured a few complaints might be isolate issues but seeing a bunch of phantom usage complaints might be something I want to plan for when it invariably comes up for me as a new Gen4 customer.

I am told "Oh you should check http://www.systemcontrolcenter.com/ and that will tell you for sure."

Then I said, I have a router that actually reports all packets in and out of the LAN interface going to the modem itself. 

Then things get all "Please hold." 

So, you wait. I did just that today.

I am told "Please hold."

Lather, rinse, repeat... and now we're at the "Please disconnect your service for 6 hours while we monitor your connection" and "we are going to add tokens" (which never appear by the way) and you can call back with this case number (and by the way, that case number gets a deer in headlights effect almost without fail).

Now, perhaps I am a bit skeptical of this "triage process" but if I can humor it and those that are just trying to follow the script, do their jobs, etc... will all of these phantom download issues be aired out in a way that is a bit more transparent and inclusive of what is a very one sided trust that the end user cannot watch unless they place a bandwidth meter of their own inline on the LAN port to a modem?

Not everyone can do that and I sense that a lot of apathy sets in on this forum. 

I sense a deeper issue for recent Gen4 customers and where there is smoke...

Yours truly,
A Network Engineer in the sticks
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Community vs. Paid Support vs. Knowledge Base vs. Geographic Variations

Good morning Jay,

Welcome and thanks for finally posting! I know the info is not consistent, I know first hand that that is frustrating and for that I am sorry. You are in the best place, however, to get help. We'd like to take a closer look at your system, so if you could please post your modem's serial number located on the bottom/back, that would be appreciated.

When you still have data available you should see something on your Status Meter either in the installed program, your Dashboard in the Support Center, or in the System Control Center (SCC) at 192.168.0.1. Have you ever been able to see a normal meter or has this empty meter, even if you actually do have data, always been a concern?

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Thanks Liz. We're going to do the airgap of the LAN port the next time we see Status Meter change again and see if we can catch it. (if the pattern holds, tomorrow morning, or Saturday morning)

Happy New Year!

Still traveling for work... happy new year!

Thanks for the check in! Happy new year to you, too!

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Just a quick update

I got a courtesy call from HughesNet technical support at work a few days ago confirming HughesNet they found a problem like mine with other users that impacts the reporting and usage pages. They did not know if this was specific to Gen4 or the specific satellite modem but it was nice to know I'm not alone at least.

I've been given another token since there is no way to see my usage anywhere.

We're planning on a reset of usage stats on January 20th. Again, my router has per device and LAN port level bandwidth reporting so if there is anything beyond my LAN port I'll be able to bring back confirmation.

I've been traveling for work so if I need to do anything troubleshooting wise with HughesNet technical support it will be after the 20th.

Alrighty, see you then. Thanks for the check-in!

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Hi Liz,

I've gotten the account "Internet Usage" reset as of this morning on the main http://my.hughesnet.com/ screen.

Unfortunately, I still have the recurring issue of these past months with "NO DATA AVAILABLE" on the "Internet Usage" details page http://my.hughesnet.com/dashboard/cmcdashboard/view_dashboard.pyt?dashboardName=Usage#Internet Usage screen.

However, I've also just noted a large charge called "Reset Token Fees" against my credit card on file with billing:
Description Total Accounts Charged Amount
Service Fees
HughesNet Gen4 Connect PRO 1 $59.99
Reset Token Fees
Token - 2GB 1 $160.00
Rental Fees
HughesNet Equipment Lease 1 $9.99
Warranty Fees
Express Repair Basic ($7.95) 1 $7.95
Other Fees
Property Tax Surcharge 1 $0.75
Total Accounts Charged 1 $238.68
When I spoke with your technical support teams, my understanding (calls were recorded) was that these token resets were being done as part of troubleshooting.

Please advise. This seems contrary to everything I was told by the technical support teams on my calls regarding this issue.

Thanks,
Jay

I'm speaking to billing and they are stating that my account has been charged 10 (ten) times for 2GB tokens at $16.00 for a total of $160 in charges. How is that even possible?

Per June Rodriguez in Billing Department:

Dates appear (given to me out of order by June but in chronological order) as:

December 26 2015 (2 Tokens)
January 7 2016 (1 Token)
January 9 2016 (1 Token)
January 15 2016 (1 Token)
January 17 2015 (2 Tokens)
January 20 2015 (1 Token)

June indicated there were "Total 10 Tokens purchased" but only verbally indicated 6 records for a total of 8. 

I am genuinely confused as to what is happening.

Please advise.