cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complete outage vs slowdown

Highlighted
New Poster

Complete outage vs slowdown

We usually run out of our 20GB allotment about one week into the cycle.  For the rest of the month we just deal with the slower speed.   HOWEVER, last weekend, after a lightning strike within 1000 ft or our house, our connectivity went out *completely*.  I spent about 45 minutes on line with tech support and they eventually ended up sending out a new modem when they could not connect to troubleshoot the connection.  I installed the replacement Wednesday evening and thought everything was working but the same problem still persists.  The WiFi side of the modem is fine but I cannot get a status on the satellite connection.  A second call to tech support ended with the tech telling me there was no problem, we were just beyond our usage limit.  We've had HN for several  years and another satellite provider before that.  I *know* the differnece between a SLOW connection and NO connection.  

The cabling to the dish looks OK.   What is the best way to test/check the feedhorn and/or identify the problem in such a way that it can actually get teh attention of the Tier 1 service desk?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Complete outage vs slowdown

This may be a case for the HughesNet reps on this site to get involved and run diagnostics on your equipment. They're here usually during business hours M-F, and hopefully one of them will be able to reply to you before end of business today. 

Highlighted

Hi RHughes,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! Thanks for posting, I pulled up your account and sent a command to your modem so you may experience a temporary disconnect. Please let me know if you notice any improvement over the weekend.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

New Poster

Liz,

Thank you for the response.   I got home a while ago.  No change.  The status page (192.148.42.1) on the modem comes up but all the  WAN data is blank.

Highlighted

Good morning RHughes,

Thank you for this update. I see now that you have a site visit arranged for later this week, so please let us know how it goes after that.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted

Good morning RHughes,

Just following up on your site and I see the tech visit has been successfully completed. If you have any other concerns, feel free to drop by the community again.

Thanks,

Liz