cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Completely and utterly disgusted with my service!!!!

Completely and utterly disgusted with my service!!!!

My data reloaded on the 12th of October, and is already depleted. There are 3 of us in my household, and it's appalling that we've used up all of our data in 5 days. VERY unhappy with this service, and find it a BIG waste of money!!! If I could go back, I definitely would not have chosen Hughes, and I certainly won't recommend it to anyone. By the time my daughters watch a few videos on YouTube, our data is gone. Something is definitely wrong, as I don't even use up that much data when I use my 4G from from my cell phone provider.
7 REPLIES 7
Junior

Re: Completely and utterly disgusted with my service!!!!

I would like to begin by telling you that I have in the past felt exactly like you. I have 14 grandchildren and any one or two of them can burn up 2G data in a day. I will say that if you chose satellite internet over land based internet you made a mistake. If, like almost all of us you chose satellite because there were no other options available in your area then learning how to use, manage and live with it is up to you. Being angry at yourself won't do any good either. Welcome to the wonderful world of satellite internet. 

If you are using Macs and / or iPhones you will need to carefully manage what you allow to be backed up and what you allow to be shared and synch'd via iCloud - these will work in the background and have eaten up lots of our data without our knowledge. We've turned off backups completely and have limited sharing / synch'ing to only calendars and messaging - no photos (data hog) or emails.  The other thing to watch for is updates ... you can't schedule software or app updates on macs to be during bonus byte times (0200-0800) like you can with Windows so you have to get up and start them during the night or early morning to take advantage of your bonus byte times. Hope that helps!

We use standard definition, not HD, and our wifi is password protected. I try to use my 4G as much as possible, so as not to add to the depletion of our data on Hughes. The only time I really connect to the WiFi on my phone is when I'm not getting 4G and I need to check my emails for work. My oldest daughter needs WiFi for school assignments, as everything is done on an iPad, and my youngest uses her Samsung tablet to watch YouTube.

what package do you have? (How Many GB's)
With Satellite Internet Download and Upload Count Against Your Monthly Allotment.

You can Download the Status Meter to Check your data remaining HERE

You can Also view the status of the modem, view diagnostics, view remaining data allowance and see other information at 192.168.0.1 when connected to Hughsnet services.

Facebook and Youtube can and does use a massive amount of data. 
look at a data calculator and see how much data you're using, you may have to upgrade your package. http://www.att.com/att/datacalculator/

Also install ad-block on as many machines as you can as the ads in the background are constantly downloading videos, gifs, and pictures to serve you ads which uses a lot of data also.
Junior

iPhone and iPad both have settings to push and fetch data to apps in the background. These leaks can severely affect your allowance without you being aware.

im right there with you, 7 days and im out of service and paying more for this service than I did for AT&T which was unlimited

Alum

Hi mdp22574,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear you're frustrated, but hopefully we can help address your concerns about data usage. 

Keep in mind there are countless factors that can use your data:

- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook

or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to low/SD: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, to help you monitor your data usage: supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you,

Chris