cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Completely off topic question regarding a Tracfone and a computer. Nothing to do with Hughesnet.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Completely off topic question regarding a Tracfone and a computer. Nothing to do with Hughesnet.

I just found a website that mentions a few methods.  Using Bluetooth to transfer them between the phone and the computer.  Going online with the phone and sending them to my email (then going online with my computer and retrieving them).  Using my wifi (with Hughesnet modem and my router) to go online to send the pics to my email, and with this way I wouldn't have to use my minutes.  The trick with the latter is if I can connect the phone to Hughesnet using the router.  I know I will have to do something with the settings on the phone to do that. 

And again, if all else fails, there's always the card reader. 

Thanks for the help everybody. 

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted

Re: Completely off topic question regarding a Tracfone and a computer. Nothing to do with Hughesnet.

The Bluetooth version in the specs says "2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)", though this may just be fluff. 

I thought of getting a Bluetooth headset for my laptop, but they are a bit pricey.  I was also thinking of getting a Bluetooth adapter for my desktop (if I got a headset), and if, in fact, this transfer thing does actually work this way, then the adapter for my desktop might be a no brainer. 

Not that I'm going to buy one now, but would a USB adapter or an internal PCi card be better with regard to Bluetooth for my desktop? 

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

They make very tiny USB Bluetooth dongles, I would go with that. The 2.1 is old version but dongles are backward compatible.

http://www.amazon.com/Medialink-Bluetooth-Adapter-Energy-Technology/dp/B004LNXO28
Highlighted

I'd have to get a different one or get one from newegg.  That one isn't stocked by Amazon themselves.  I've had terrible luck when purchasing something from Amazon that came from a different vendor.  Terrible.  They've got other ones, though.  I always make sure to look at the reviews.  I've purchased most of my computer related items from newegg, but Amazon sells a lot of the same and both of their return/defective policies are great. 

But, with regard to the original question, I figured USB was better, I just figured I'd ask someone who would know.  Thanks for the info. 

Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

Hi Gabe,

I too have an LG though Tracfone.

While I have never used the Bluetooth I have sent pictures to myself from it via the multimedia function which is going to use tracfone minutes.

I never have had the phone itself try to use any connection source other than Tracfone minutes.

I do see where the Bluetooth is able to search for devices so I guess you could see if it discovers your computers Bluetooth. I always assumed that function was to pair with your car so as to allow hands free usage.

Have you looked at the monthly plan offerings from Tracfone ?

We too use our phones for emergency and occasional use. We were paying a small fortune to Verizon every month. Switched to a monthly "family plan".

$10.00 per month fro my service with 100 minutes added every month (the minutes roll over) and another $6.00 for the wife's phone with 80 minutes per month.

The whole bill for both phones including taxes is $17.51.

I now have accumulated 2450 minutes on mine, Wife's is just under that. Much cheaper than Verizon's $70+

I never bought the data cable so I can't say if a direct connect is doable.

I'm thinking the whole point of Tracfone is to run everything through the "meter"

Highlighted

I wasn't really sure if I could connect the phone to Hughesnet through the router and use that instead of the minutes.  I guess I'll know when I get it, but you are probably right. 

I have looked at their monthly plans, but I like sticking with buying the yearly card as it's plenty for me.  I'll get 1400 minutes for a year (with the 200 minute bonus coupon) for $99, so it's actually better than doing it monthly.  Plus, with doing it monthly, even though there's no contract, they have your credit card info to auto bill you, and I try to avoid that like the plague.  I pay everything manually, including my phone, DirecTV, Hughesnet...even my electric bill.  I don't like companies having control over my funds.  Not that they would do something on purpose, but I like eliminating any possible mistakes I can when it comes to my funds. 

Highlighted
Alum

I usually do the first method. Mainly through Google drive. The data storage they offer for free is the best.
Highlighted

That's an idea, too.  I think with the few photos or even small video clips I might be taking it would probably just be easiest to send them to my personal email.  It's got unlimited storage, and it would only be a quick transfer of the files to my computer before deleting them from the mail.   

I'm still going to see if I can use it with Hughesnet through my router, though I doubt it will be possible with something as non versatile as a tracfone.  I'll even give the Bluetooth thing a try.  I'm sure I'll be messing with it for a while.  LOL.   

Highlighted
Junior

Gabe, current BT is 4.0 (2.1 is old tech) but anyway NOT a viable option. Even using a Mac (BT 4.0) (2.1 not supported) it uses "Air Drop" but nothing similar, that I'm aware of anyway, in Windows and certainly not on the TP. Without corresponding OSes the devices w/not pair.

To attempt what you're trying to do using wifi (again, depending on OS compatibility) you MIGHT be able to SSH from one to the other.
Highlighted

Well, it worked.  I got the phone and it synced with my laptop's Bluetooth with no problem.  It took me a little bit to figure out how to transfer files using such, but it worked flawlessly once I figured it out.  It took about 30 seconds to transfer a 6MB file, which was a short video.  I'll tell you what, though, with having a 2MP camera, it takes dreadful pictures.  I have an old 1.2MP Cannon digital camera and those pictures look like Ultra Hi Def in comparison to the pics and vids taken with the phone.  Eh, what could I expect for $15?  It's still neat to be able to transfer the files so easily, though. 

One thing I just thought of...I was messing with the thing all day and never cleaned the lens.  It's probably smudged all over.  I'm hoping this is the reason for the not so great pictures.  Perhaps not.  We'll see.   

Oh, I was also able to connect to Hughesnet through my Netgear router.  I went online for about ten minutes and used none of my phone minutes.  Easier than I thought.