Hughesnet Community

Computer slowing down after installing Zone Alarm antivirus

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sarahchaney1985

Computer slowing down after installing Zone Alarm antivirus

I've been with hughesnet about a week now and everything has been running fine until I installed my Alarm Zone antivirus , and it seems like since then my browser and every website I go to has gotten slow and when I get to youtube it just keeps saying waiting for youtube and won't load the page , and I have it in the approval settings in the antivirus and it still won't go to the page and I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem I wanted to see if anyone here in the community could help me instead of having to contact customer service especially if there is an easy fix and wanted to say thanks in advance for any suggestions .
13 REPLIES 13
Chris11
Alum

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! Are you sure that you have uninstalled the previous Anti-Virus that you were using? Having two active AV programs can cause what your experiencing.  Hope this helps

Thank you,
Chris
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

There are a large number of things that can affect speeds. The first order of business I think is to put some numbers on defining "slow".

To that end I suggest that you go to www.testmy.net and register so as to create an account.

Following that, while logged in run a series of three to five manual  speed tests of 12MB in size. Space those tests at least 5 minutes apart. Try to run three series of those tests in a 24 hour period, early, mid-day and evening so that a performance curve can be determined. Post a link here in the community to those saved tests so that the forum mods can escalate your issue directly to engineering if warranted.

Please run those tests with your computer directly connected to the Hughes modem as there are a number of internal router settings that can have an effect on speeds. The fewer number of variable the better while doing initial troubleshooting.

I am hesitant to advise you to run tests at this point with your A/V disabled as a unprotected computer can be compromised in a very short period of time. It may come to that but I would suggest speed test first followed by the reconnection of your router. Most routers have hardware firewalls that will offer a level of protection if it is determined to QUICKLY run some speed tests down the road with ZA temporally turned off.

sarahchaney1985

Hi Chris and thank you , I had a trial of McAfee antivirus that came installed on my computer when I bought it , but the trial had ended so I uninstalled it last night but it was still doing it .
sarahchaney1985

Hi Gwalk900 and thank you , I'm trying to go to the webpage you have suggested  but it isn't wanting to go to it or load , is there any way I can restart my router to see if that might help ? Because I had a customer representative tell me that sometimes if it gets slow you can reset your router by unplugging the router from the ac adaptor and then unplugging the ac adaptor and plug it all back up , but I don't want to mess up anything so that's why I asking about that too .  
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

The last time I tried Zone Alarm when it installed it changed my DNS settings to redirect all web pages through their server and it drastically bogged down my speeds
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Check your network settings under IPv4 and IPv6 and set them to auto this will bypass their DNS page and you should see a big improvement in speed and page loading
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Hate, hate software that makes system changes without the customer knowing. Least they could do is have a pop-up telling them they are changing it.

Personally feel buying these things when there is excellent free alternatives is a waste of money anyway.
sarahchaney1985

wanted to say thank you to everyone for the advice , but I decided to uninstall it I guess it was just all the files it had to install slowed everything down , but now it's back to running as fast as it was since it was uninstalled  , but thanks again and I really appreciate . 🙂
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Sarah, 

I'm sure you are aware of this, but make sure you have installed an AV in place of it.  I'm assuming it's a Windows PC, and Windows comes with Defender, but it's not all that great.  
Chris11
Alum

Hi Sarah,

Glad we could help. If you need anything else please let us know.

Thanks,
Chris
sarahchaney1985

Thank you GabeU , yeah it runs windows , I still have my Defender on it for now , but planning on checking into another antivirus , but right now I have only been going to sites that I know are trusted sites and only click links that I know is from a trusted source and thank you so much for your help it was really appreciated . 🙂
sarahchaney1985

Thank you Chris , y'all and everyone here in the community section customer service over the phone  have been completely helpful with any problem I may have had and I really appreciate it . 🙂
Chris11
Alum

You're welcome 🙂