Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting a router to Ht2000w modem

Highlighted
New Poster

Connecting a router to Ht2000w modem

Hi,

I am trying to connect a Netgear modem to the Ht2000w modem. The router is in another house and is connected through fiber optic lines. I’ve tried using the setup wizard through the router and no luck. Are there settings on the modem that need to be changed to allow a router to connect through a LAN port?
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Connecting a router to Ht2000w modem

@Zack 

Not normally, no.  Normally one just connects the 3rd party router to one of the LAN ports on the back of the HughesNet modem.  

Have you used this fiber optic line before and know that it works?  Might you be able to bring the router to where the HughesNet modem is and make sure that it connects and can set up via regular LAN cable? 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
New Poster

Thanks Gabe,
Yes the lines worked with the prior ISP, exede. That setup had a modem without a built in router is the only difference.
I’ll try connecting the router via LAN cable to test it.
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Have you tried bridging mode?

Highlighted
New Poster

I brought to router over and connected it via LAN line and it connected fine. I brought it back over and it would not connect.
I also tried the original setup where the modem went to the router WAN port and the fiber optic box connected to the router LAN. No luck there either.

Any thoughts?
Highlighted
New Poster

Can you explain bridging mode?
Highlighted

@BirdDog wrote:

Have you tried bridging mode?

Unfortunately, the HT2000W doesn't have a bridge mode.  Smiley Sad

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

@Zack wrote:
I brought to router over and connected it via LAN line and it connected fine. I brought it back over and it would not connect.
I also tried the original setup where the modem went to the router WAN port and the fiber optic box connected to the router LAN. No luck there either.

Any thoughts?

I'm not sure if there is some type of setting that needs to be changed in order to make it work with the fiber vs standard LAN cable.  Those more knowledgeable than I about the HT2000W, including the reps, may have some ideas.

Though you may have already tried this, is there a LAN connectible device that you can use to make absolutely sure that the fiber line is still in working order, as in one end connected to a LAN port in the HT2000W and the other end, in the other house, connected to a device.  I mean other than the Netgear router, of course.  Just a laptop, or even desktop, or something similar.  

Highlighted
New Poster

I tried connecting through a LAN line in the other house and no luck.

How do I find out if the fiber optic cables or converter boxes are not compatible with the modem? How do I contact the reps?
Highlighted

n/a