Connecting to wifi on Gen 5 Ht2000w modem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GailWasiskiMile
Sophomore

Connecting to wifi on Gen 5 Ht2000w modem

Just had the new Gen 5 router installed yesterday.  The technician chose to just connect my other wifi router to the new modem.  I was trying to access the wifi on the gen5 router from my ipad, but it will not let me connect.  It says not available.  Should i just forget trying to connect? Or is there something else i should try.  Just wanted to see if it was faster.  I have my wifi router and an extender to which i am connected right now.  Yes the speeds are faster, but being a geek i wanted to see if the new gen5 was faster!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

GailWasiskiMile,

If you look at the back of the HT2000W, you will see a sticker that lists the name of both Wifi networks on your modem, as well as the passwords for each network.  Have you tried using that information to connect?

It's also possible that the technician disabled the HT2000W wifi since you had a system available...  Having two wireless devices present with in the same area can cause signal conflicts.  If the radios are disabled, you can re-enable them by following the following instructions.

1: Go to http://systemcontrolcenter.com OR http://192.168.0.1
2: Click on Wifi Settings
wifi1.jpg
3: You will need to enter the password, by default it is    admin
4: Click on each wifi setting and make sure the SSID Enable is checked to enable the radio, then click save settings.
wifi2.png

Thanks,
C0RR0SIVE

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

GailWasiskiMile,

If you look at the back of the HT2000W, you will see a sticker that lists the name of both Wifi networks on your modem, as well as the passwords for each network.  Have you tried using that information to connect?

It's also possible that the technician disabled the HT2000W wifi since you had a system available...  Having two wireless devices present with in the same area can cause signal conflicts.  If the radios are disabled, you can re-enable them by following the following instructions.

1: Go to http://systemcontrolcenter.com OR http://192.168.0.1
2: Click on Wifi Settings
wifi1.jpg
3: You will need to enter the password, by default it is    admin
4: Click on each wifi setting and make sure the SSID Enable is checked to enable the radio, then click save settings.
wifi2.png

Thanks,
C0RR0SIVE

I had written the password down incorrectly!  My eyes were not working this morning.  I am connected!

Congrats on being able to get connected!  Please remember my earlier statement though in regards to having multiple wifi routers in use in the same area.  It is best practice to disable one or the other, or at a minimum, change the channel they operate on so they don't conflict as much.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@C0RR0SIVE

If connecting to the 2.4Ghz radio (like most people should), should I disable the 5Ghz radio since I am not going to use it or just leave it alone?  Would it be better for security to disable it or does it matter?    

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

The 5Ghz radio has no impact on the 2.4Ghz band, and doesn't increase security by disabling it to be honest.  I would leave it on personally, as I instruct guests that come to my house to use the 5Ghz band if their device supports it, as it keeps them off the 2.4Ghz band that I frequently use.

@GabeU wrote:

@C0RR0SIVE

If connecting to the 2.4Ghz radio (like most people should), should I disable the 5Ghz radio since I am not going to use it or just leave it alone?  Would it be better for security to disable it or does it matter?    

Wait.  Hold everything 😮  Why should we be using 2.4GHz on our computers and tablets vs 5GHz?  I have my devices set up on my dual band AC1200 NetGear router like this...computer, smartphones and tablet (anything that uses video) on 5GHz.  Printer and 3 Amazon Echo Dots on 2.4GHz.  I don't know what band the TP-Link smart plugs are on.  Most likely 2.4 

I know 2.4GHz band is longer reaching but it's also transmits at a slower speed, is a more congested band and can cause dropped connections.  My computer is less than a foot from my wifi router and I have an extender to boost both band signals to the other end of the house.  5GHz band is faster (altho shorter reaching without an extender) hence the reason for video playing devices to be on 5GHz band.  This band also uploads and downloads files faster.  Most other household devices use 2.4 so you're more likely to run into a congested signal...OR have I been wrong all these years 😮

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Nope, you're right, but, 5Ghz drops of very fast going through walls in most cases.

And that's where a wifi range extender comes in handy. 

I am 16 feet from the plug-in style extender and taking a reading of one of my Echo Dots when I took

these before and after readings.  The extender is 30 feet from the router.  This is a 2.4GHz.ext reading (I was testing

my Echo Dots) but the 5GHz.ext readings are still in the upper end of the green section.  My computer is right next

to my router so it's on the original 5GHz (vs the 5GHz.ext) band).  One of the Dots is closer to the router than the

other two so it's on the original 2.4GHz band whereas the other two Dots in the other end of the house are on

2.4GHz.ext.  My tablet is usally in the other end of the house as well so it's on 5GHz.ext.  We mostly use mobile

data for our phones.

Hummm, how do you embed photos here?

Without the extender

[URL=http://s1133.photobucket.com/user/monicakm1/media/Screenshot_20170219-020042_zpszyo7utuw.png.html][I...]

With the extender

[URL=http://s1133.photobucket.com/user/monicakm1/media/Screenshot_20170219-020144_zpsvmur5viy.png.html][I...]

And that's where a wifi range extender comes in handy. 

I am 16 feet from the plug-in style extender and taking a reading of one of my Echo Dots when I took

these before and after readings.  The extender is 30 feet from the router.  This is a 2.4GHz.ext reading (I was testing

my Echo Dots) but the 5GHz.ext readings are still in the upper end of the green section.  My computer is right next

to my router so it's on the original 5GHz (vs the 5GHz.ext) band).  One of the Dots is closer to the router than the

other two so it's on the original 2.4GHz band whereas the other two Dots in the other end of the house are on

2.4GHz.ext.  My tablet is usally in the other end of the house as well so it's on 5GHz.ext.  We mostly use mobile

data for our phones.

Without extender

before.pngafter.png

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@monicakm wrote:

@GabeU wrote:

@C0RR0SIVE

Wait.  Hold everything 😮  Why should we be using 2.4GHz on our computers and tablets vs 5GHz?  I have my devices set up on my dual band AC1200 NetGear router like this...computer, smartphones and tablet (anything that uses video) on 5GHz.  Printer and 3 Amazon Echo Dots on 2.4GHz.  I don't know what band the TP-Link smart plugs are on.  Most likely 2.4 

I know 2.4GHz band is longer reaching but it's also transmits at a slower speed, is a more congested band and can cause dropped connections.  My computer is less than a foot from my wifi router and I have an extender to boost both band signals to the other end of the house.  5GHz band is faster (altho shorter reaching without an extender) hence the reason for video playing devices to be on 5GHz band.  This band also uploads and downloads files faster.  Most other household devices use 2.4 so you're more likely to run into a congested signal...OR have I been wrong all these years 😮

After researching whether I should use 2.4Ghz vs 5Ghz, I came to the conclusion that 2.4Ghz was best for me, as it would be for most people on Hughesnet.      

First, the difference in available speed between the two is negligable when it comes to Hughesnet.  2.4Ghz will transmit at up to 450Mbps to 600Mbps.  HughesNet's speed tops out at just shy of 50Mbps with Gen5, and even if you use multiple devices, it splits that speed, so one would practically never see the advantage of the 5Ghz band when it comes to speed and HughesNet.      

Secondly, though the 2.4Ghz band is more congested, I am out in the boonies and my closest neighbor is 300 feet away (and they don't use Wi-Fi).  Congestion isn't a factor for me.  An apartment complex is a place where using the 5Ghz band would probably be beneficial.   

Thirdly, as mentioned, 2.4Ghz has better range and is more reliable overall when it comes to walls and such.    

Sounds good 🙂  My setup (router and extender) is working for me so unless something changes, I think I'll stay on a 5GHz band even if it's an overkill. 

BTW, my nearest neighbors are 300 yards away.  One to the north and one to the south 😉

What wi-fi extender are you using?

NETGEAR AC1200 WiFi Range Extender (EX6150-100NAS)