Hughesnet Community

Connection dropouts? Problem on the HughesNet side?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matthew Maples

Connection dropouts? Problem on the HughesNet side?

The past couple of days I have been having momentary connection drops, only for a few seconds so the modem logs don't register it, but my router logs do, such as the most recent:

[Internet disconnected] Friday, Oct 16,2015 18:55:28

Only thing which has changed since this started is that I dropped HughesNet Voice service.
89 REPLIES 89
Matthew Maples

I will also say my latency is also much higher at random times,  going from about 700ms to up to 2100ms.
Matthew Maples

It happens mostly from about dawn till 11AM, then from about 6 to 8PM.
Chris11
Alum

Hi Mathew,

Does this happen when directly connected to the HughesNet modem?

- Chris
Matthew Maples

It does, but as far as I can tell it doesn't happen at all from about 11AM to about 6PM.
Matthew Maples

Alright, it's happening during the day now, and it's definitely a HughesNet system problem. Lost connection for about 2 minutes. Modem log says error code 13.1.1 (LAN cable is not attached), but the cable is the same one which was used when I had HughesNet Voice, just now attached to my router instead of the ATA. Below are two tests I ran during that time, the top one is the HughesNet connectivity test, while the bottom is my wireless card's network ping utility.

Terminal - Gateway Connectivity Test
Wed Oct 21 20:11:33 2015
Packet Loss: 100.00%
Average Delay: 0.00 ms
Minimum Delay: 0.00 ms
Maximum Delay: 0.00 ms
IP Gateway: BIL38HNSIGW64B002Adv

Pinging 8.8.8.8 (with 32 bytes of data):
Destination host unreachable.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
    Packets: Sent = 10, Received = 6, Lost = 4 (40% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms
Matthew Maples

My modem log is showing many 13.1.1 errors. I must repeat the LAN cable between the modem and router has not been changed, only switched from the ATA to the router directly. Please respond with any information you may have. It's impossible to play any online games, and even instant messengers disconnect.
Chris11
Alum

Hi Mathew,

Sorry for the delay. 13.1.1 state codes point to a problem with the either the Ethernet cord itself connected to the HughesNet Modem or the device your Ethernet cord is plugged into on the other end. If you have dropped our VoIP service then the ATA box should be taken out of the loop of your network connection. If you have already done this then maybe I'm confused on the explanation you provided. Normally if you replace your Ethernet cord and you still experience this, there may be an issue with the computer you are using. Last resort would be replacing your modem. We hope to hear back from you soon.

Thank you,
Chris
Matthew Maples

The LAN cord is the same one which I unplugged from the ATA (I removed the ATA when I canceled HughesNet Voice) and is going to the router's WAN port. My DirecTV receiver, which is connected to the router's 2.4ghz 802.11n band of my router (my computer is 5ghz 802.11ac) also has disconnection issues, so it's not my computer. I have switched to a new LAN cable, and cleared my state code monitor, and will see if that solves the 13.1.1 issue. The latency issue is still present, pings average around 1900ms vs 700ms before I canceled HughesNet Voice.

Pinging 8.8.8.8 (with 32 bytes of data):
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=943ms TTL=53
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=1299ms TTL=53
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=1037ms TTL=53
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=784ms TTL=53
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=1084ms TTL=53
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=1594ms TTL=53
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=617ms TTL=53
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=580ms TTL=53
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=577ms TTL=53
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=589ms TTL=53
Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
    Packets: Sent = 10, Received = 10, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 577ms, Maximum = 1594ms, Average = 910ms

Matthew Maples

Haven't gotten any 13.1.1 errors yet, but my latency is still over twice normal.
Matthew Maples

Still showing the elevated latency and the packet loss is still present. No more 13.1.1 errors so that problem is solved, but this one isn't. Speeds are still about 10/2 mbps.

Matthew Maples

Still experiencing packet loss according to the connectivity test.
Chris11
Alum

Hi Mathew,

I'm sorry for the delay. Can you post your serial number?

Thanks,
Chris
Matthew Maples

B3 0010167419 AA is the serial number of my modem. Or did you mean my SAN?
Chris11
Alum

Hi Mathew, 

Your serial is fine, thanks. After running some diagnostics on your site and doing a bit more investigating. I would say your experiencing this due to weather. Your diagnostics show a marginal alignment message however your signal strength and all other diagnostics are normal. The target value for all other users in your area has dropped as well which typically means something more on the lines of a mass weather event coupled with cloud interference in the area are the cause. What I would suggest is calling into our support center and having an agent live troubleshoot with you. But I'm sure once all has cleared up you should be back to normal.

- Chris  
Matthew Maples

It's been pretty clear. Last week when this started until Saturday there was barely a cloud in the sky. There's still a large variance in pings, from 600s to 1000s even though it's clear now. Satellite strength this whole time has been 100 or above, so maybe the satellite is getting overloaded. I'll report back if I have any more issues, but I still find it funny my pings were fine until the second I canceled HughesNet Voice.
Chris11
Alum

Hi Mathew,

It may be a coincidence, but if this continues I would suggest first calling in. If nothing changes, post here and we'll see if dispatching a technician is the best option.

- Chris
Matthew Maples

I might have to call tomorrow, I'm still getting a very large ping variance at times, and it's the maximum times which approach or exceed 2 seconds which cause the problems. There's no clouds in the sky and there's no rain within 200 miles. There's no wind and the signal strength doesn't vary, so that eliminates trees. My dish is clear of any animal activity.

Matthew Maples

But it doesn't seem to happen as often during the day, mostly after 5PM, I don't get it...
Chris11
Alum

Hi Mathew,

After 5pm we usually say this is due to peak hours when most people are home and using their internet service. 

- Chris
Matthew Maples

I know, usually it causes my speeds to decrease but I am still getting 2MB/s, this is purely a latency issue.