Connection drops intermittently

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dtominski
Freshman

Connection drops intermittently

I switched from dial up to Hughesnet Gen 4, with an HT 1100 router, many years ago. Over that time, only very heavy storm/cloud cover would interfere with the satellite signal. However, for the last several months, I have been getting an unusual amount of time outs when I try to load my usual internet sites. I assumed that my Cisco Router was failing so I replaced it with an AUSU AC 1900 wireless router. I still am getting timeout errors, even on days like today when it is not overcast (50% Cumulus, 50% Blue sky). I am using Windows 10 and Google Chrome. Both http sites and https sites are effected. When I click on a site, it ends up with various time out errs. This is an intermittent problem...sometimes the sites load, sometimes they don't. This problem is effecting my wife's computer on our same home network also. I called HughsNet technical help and they did all their remote tests and found nothing wrong. No big wonder...the problem is afterall, "INTERMITANT". It is notable that the MODEM sits in a well ventalated area with free space all around, and TECH Help had me reset it to no avail...it still keeps happening.  My and my wife's computer are connected to  the router via wire, but I also tried pluging my computer directly into the router...still intermittent fails to load.  It is noteable that if I wait awhile and try again, the site may load. I susect a possible slight dish alingnment problem with last Winters snow and ice, but I am just guessing. What to do?

24 REPLIES 24
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

When this happens, are you able to visit http://192.168.0.1 in your browser and see the Hughesnet Modem website?  If you can see if, what color is the System Status icon at the top?

I got  through to it once.     Other times when the problem begins (unable to load websites), I cannot get through to any HughsNet sites.

The one time I got through and did the connectivity test, packet loss was 100%.  However, being an intermittent problem, when I went there today the test indicated that my packet loss was 0%.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

dtomonski, have you tried using another known good cable to connect to the Hughes modem? Sounds like it could be a cable problem. If that's not the problem then a moderator will probably have to help.

@BirdDog wrote:

dtomonski, have you tried using another known good cable to connect to the Hughes modem? Sounds like it could be a cable problem. If that's not the problem then a moderator will probably have to help.

I have tried connecting my desktop directly to the modem...problem still persisted and did so also on my wife's computer (different cable and port on the router), indicating that the problem does not stem from a bad cable from my computer to the modem.  Yesterday I replaced the cable from the modem to the router and this A.M. I still have failures due to time-outs, so it is not likely the modem to the router cable.  That only leaves the cable from the dish to the HughsNet modem...which is HughsNet property and what I suspected all along (faulty connection up on the roof at the dish).  Now, how do I get them to fix it without charging me for it?

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Appears @Liz or @Amanda will have to take a look at your system.

Hello dtominski,

Thank you for your post. I've located your account and ran some diagnostics which showed that your HughesNet system appears to be working fine. However, that does not explain the situation you are experiencing, so lets do some digging...

I know that you mentioned this occurs on both http and https sites, but could you provide examples of some of those sites that give you trouble? Does this happen at a particular time of day? 

-Amanda

The problem manifests itself on all the internet sites I try to access.  Sometimes after two or three repeated tries that end in error messages.  Time of day does not seem to matter.  Here are examples of the sites...notice that a couple of them are HughsNet sites: 

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/sat
https://thefiringline.com/forums/index.php
http://www.tvguide.com/listings/
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money
https://community.hughesnet.com/
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?

Note: This is an intermittent problem...I had no problem in the last hour, but it is happening every day now.

I clicked on my gmail.com site a few minuets ago, got this: " There is no Internet connection Try: Checking the network cables, modem, and router Reconnecting to Wi-Fi Running Windows Network Diagnostics DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET " Now that I think about it, most of those failures and error messages DO come mostly in the A.M.

Addendum: experienced that same problem (error, cannot connect), this P.M., after 6:00, so the problem is not exclusively an A.M. phenomenon.

dtominski, your issue sounds almost identical to what I am experiencing, I have been arguing with Hughes net for over a month, I have spent at least 20 hours on the phone with them troubleshhoting the issue, I experience the same time out issue with just about all the websites, my speed is very very slow also, even with facebook the page timesout and also the messaging keeps saying disconnected, trying to reconnect but it never does, I have to totally quit out of my browser, re-initiate the browser then go back to facebook, it seems to work for a couple of minutes then the same errors occur, I can disconnect from hughesnet and tether off my cellphone and it works perfectly, plus it is much faster. Hughesnet has went so far as to send me a new modem but it did not change anything, I am at the point of getting rid of hughesnet and returning to AT&T, when I signed up for the Hughesnet service it sounded really good but has turned out to be a nightmare

"dtominski, your issue sounds almost identical to what I am experiencing, I have been arguing with Hughes net for over a month, I have spent at least 20 hours on the phone with them troubleshhoting the issue, I experience the same time out issue with just about all the websites, my speed is very very slow also, even with facebook the page timesout and also the messaging keeps saying disconnected, trying to reconnect but it never does, I have to totally quit out of my browser, re-initiate the browser then go back to facebook, it seems to work for a couple of minutes then the same errors occur, I can disconnect from hughesnet and tether off my cellphone and it works perfectly, plus it is much faster. Hughesnet has went so far as to send me a new modem but it did not change anything, I am at the point of getting rid of hughesnet and returning to AT&T, when I signed up for the Hughesnet service it sounded really good but has turned out to be a nightmare"

I am beginning to suspect (but it is only a guess), that just maybe,  HughsNet has oversold the Gen4 System and the traffic duing peak hours is causing time-outs.  I may be barking up the wrong tree, but it sounds plausable to me.  It would seem to explain what is happening to both you and me, and perhaps others.  

I did a search on the words: "time outs" and got quite an education.  One of the things I learned is that the coax connection to the dish needs be solid copper core, dielectric grease added and a weather proof connection made.  It seems that in some cases an installer may use a copper coated coax wire which in some cases rusts out, but the resultant faulty connection will still transmit and receive signals albeit intermittently and at a slow rate.  In the end, the poster stated the HughsNet charged him $125 to fix their equipment!

My two year commitment has been up for some time now and as I remember it, the dial-up Internet was not all that bad.

Hey dtominski,

I have fairly similar problems. Any chance you are located in or near Ohio. If so, I am suspecting a beam on the satellite that we are using.

By the way, from your browser, if you enter a web address of 192.168.0.1 it lets you access some info directly in your satellite modem inside your house. On the page that comes up, click on System Information near the top of the page and then scan down looking for the Satellite info. For example, my Beam ID is 23, my Outroute ID is 20, and my Gateway ID is 2. Does any of this match yours?

my Beam ID is 23, my Outroute ID is 16, and my Gateway ID is 2.

We have been experiencing the same things.In additon our phone has stopped working. We're a little over a year in our contract and it has been a nightmare day in and day out with Hughesnet. Recently they admitted to us that we havent been using gen4 equipment and thats our issue. The indoor equipment is gen4 but the equipment on the dish arm is gen3. Our modem was replaced 3 times and our ATA once. They talked us into upgrading to gen5. ive had it for two days now and phone still doesnt work. Speeds are much faster but it keeps dropping us every 30 seconds to every other minute. Long story short Hughesnet is the worst.

A Gen4 Modem will not work on a Gen3 system, at all.  If you have an HN9000, it supports some of the Gen4 plans, and speeds, but not all.  If you have an HT1100/2000 then you have a Gen4 system that is capable of supporting a Gen5 service plan in the future.

Amanda, I just replied to Dtominski's post, could you take a look at it, I have been experiencing the same issues for over a month now, ever since I opened my Hughesnet account, my daughter and myself have spent numerous hours on the phone with the phillipines as well as new york, they sent us a new modem, that did not help, everytime we call tech support they keep trying to say that there is no issue becaue they can see good speed at the modem but they cannot explain why when I run a speed test from my.hughesnet.com the top download speed was 1.2 mbps yet they were seeing 26mpbs at the modem, also I can drop my skynet internet connection and tether onto my cellphone and all the issues go away plus the speed test runs at 10mbps from hughesnet site as well as from testmy.net

@dtominski wrote:

I got  through to it once.     Other times when the problem begins (unable to load websites), I cannot get through to any HughsNet sites.

192.168.0.1 is not a "Hughesnet site" per se.  I didn't see a valid answer to C0rr0sive's question.  If you can't access whatever.com, then likely you cannot access any.hughesnet.net either, so don't bother trying. 

Any "sites" are on a whole different planet from you, almost literally.  Whereas 192.168.0.1 is in your own house.  That's why the question was asked.  You seem to have glossed right over it or answered it with a non-answer.

To answer corosive's question, the System Status Light is Green.  However, as I keep saying, the problem is "intermittent"...If I get throught (without a time-out), of course the System Status Light is Green...when it gets through, everything works just fine.