Connectivity Issues

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
David_78933
Sophomore

Connectivity Issues

In the past several weeks our connectivity to the internet has been declining. We have a Gen5 system, with an HT2000W modem that was installed in 2020. Periodically a message will pop up on one of our computer screens that says there is no internet connection, and some new web pages we try to open will be blank. When we reload those pages, they typically load normally. Also, updates fail to download properly. Weather has been clear and dry. This started as an infrequent issue, but is now occurring multiple (5-10) times each day on multiple devices. There are no issues indicated in Hughesnet diagnostics, and there are no abnormal state codes. We have Windows 10 PCs and Apple iPads, and the issues occur on all of them. I have rebooted the modem a few times, but without any noticeable improvement.
15 REPLIES 15
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"some new web pages we try to open will be blank"

I have this same issue, and it even happens with the SCC (loads up blank or incomplete).  Doing a hard refresh works most of the time.  I wonder if it's a wifi issue. I'm always on wifi, so I wonder if the same issue would happen were I to connect directly to the modem. Have you tried connecting directly and testing for a couple of days?

Thanks for your reply, maratsade.

We have a combination of WiFi and ethernet connected devices, and I haven't seen a big difference between them in this regard.

maratsade

Well, that answers my question. 🙂  I hope the mods here will have some advice about this. 

David_78933,

Thanks for reaching out! We can definitely get to the bottom of this. A quick question, would you have an estimate of when exactly this started occurring? Was it late April?

Thanks,

Remy

Hi, Remy.

It started in late March of early April, as best I recall.  But it's been a gradual process, so hard to define for certain.

David,

Thank you for the information! Upon looking into your account, I saw essentially the same things you listed above. No odd state codes or issues. I did however see a slight shift in your alignment in mid April which may be causing issues. To attempt to remedy this, I set up a dispatch for you at our earliest available time and date, Saturday, May 21st, 2022 between 2-5PM. The tech will adjust the dish and attempt to find any additional issues that may be causing these disconnects. I've made sure to waive the associated fees as courtesy. Please let me know how the visit goes! 

Thanks,

Remy

Thanks, Remy.  Hopefully the tech will be able to find something that fixes the problem.

There weren't any changes to the dish mount or alignment in April.  I did remount the dish in mid-December, in order to fit new & larger roof gutters in behind the support pole, but that was well before the issues started.

I will get back with you after the tech is here to provide feedback.

The Tech came last Saturday evening and adjusted the dish alignment slightly.  That increased my signal strength from 96 to 106, which improved system operating speed by a little bit, but did not resolve the connectivity issues.  Still having trouble connecting to random websites, getting Outlook to work properly, and downloading large update files without errors.

David,

Thank you for following up! I'm glad to hear the operational speed increased, but we definitely want to get to the bottom of the disconnect issues. Which websites do you seem to be having issues with? Does this occur every time you attempt to access these websites, or is it infrequent? In regards to Outlook, what seems to be the issue?

Thanks,

Remy

Hi, Remy.

There are no specific websites that are problematic.  Randomly during the day a web page will fail to open, and a msg will pop up that says there is no internet access or the website can't be found.  It just happened now, as I was trying to open this thread.  Typically, when I refresh the page it opens normally, but not always.  This issue happens less than 10% of the time.

Other times a page will open without the graphics - just text and text placeholders for the graphics.  Again, this happens maybe 10% of the time.

With Outlook, some emails we attempt to send do not go anywhere.  And some incoming emails don't come through to us.  That happens even with emails that are sent between my wife's Hughes email address and mine.  I have received notifications from several companies that I do business with that their emails did not go through to me.

All of these issues occur on multiple Apple IOS devices with the Safari browser and Apple mail, as well as on multiple Windows PCs running Win 10 with Firefox web browser and Outlook email.  The issues occur on ethernet connections as well as Wifi connections.

And again, this all started in late March or early April.

Tbodiford1022

Hi I've been having the same issue and when you call they always say the same thing "We don't see and issue on our end". 

maratsade

You should open your own ticket by going back to the Tech Support page and clicking the blue button labeled "Start a topic." Provide as much information and context to the problem as you can, so the reps on this site can look into it.  

@Tbodiford1022 wrote:

Hi I've been having the same issue and when you call they always say the same thing "We don't see and issue on our end". 

HughesNet has the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. If there were any other options for internet service where I lived, I would not be able to switch fast enough. I have started going back to college and I have some online classes so I need to upgrade my service plan. I have called at least seven times in the past 3 months and it's always the same thing.. I am put on hold for 30 minutes up to an hour just to be told someone will have to call me back within 24 to 48 hrs. NO ONE ever calls. Every month we run out of data and have to purchase extra tokens. I guess HughesNet makes more money when I have to purchase tokens throughout the month, but as a single mother trying to go back to school and work too it gets difficult. The last time I called tech support said I needed to either pay for yearly tech support or 69.99 for them to make sure my computers etc are running correctly and not using more data than they need. Tech support said upgrading my service would be like putting a band aid on the problem. I am truely amazed that a company as big as HughesNet would do so little to help and be so rude.

GabeU

@kwood81219 

If you need help please start a new topic and ask for it, but please have the courtesy for the original poster to leave this topic to his efforts in resolving the issue he's experiencing.

I have found that working with the HughesNet moderators in Community Support is much more likely to get real results than telephone calls to their call center. I tried calling them for the first few years, but that's always a very frustrating experience.

So I agree with Maratsade's comment.