cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connectivity Problems with iMac

Connectivity Problems with iMac

For a couple days I was unable to get an internet connection.  I called Hughesnet customer service twice.  Just wanted to say, the first call was very frustrating.  I think the woman on the other end of the line was trying her best and I think the phone connection was a little spotty and she may not have been able to understand me very well at times.  Early on in the conversation, I tried to make it clear that I was aware that I had used up my anytime allowance, and that I was VERY aware of all the ways that my allowance can be drained.  I even made it clear that I do not connect devices with wifi because it was just impossible to control the usage through devices.  We were on the phone for half an hour and most of that time, she spent going over all the ways that data can be used, and tried to sell me a plan that would cost $50 more and only add 5 more any time gigs.  I'm not angry at the Tech support person.  But I just explain this part of my story to let Hughesnet know that I have dealt with the frustrations of limited data for a long time.  You may have some customers who use so little data each month that it's a shock when they run out of their 15 gigs.  But I would hope that your tech support can discern which customer understands how to manage their limited data and which one is just learning.  Because it is so frustrating trying to get help for a no connection situation and have to sit through a lesson on all the ways I can drain my data.  I also don't appreciate the $50 upgrade offer.  I spend a premium for the 15 gigs of anytime data as it is. 

The second call was much more productive.  Though your tech people don't seem as experienced with Macs as they are with PCs.  After a bit of troubleshooting, we switched cables to a laptop and then it was clear that it wasn't a hughesnet problem at all.  It was a problem with my Mac.  I called Apple tech support right away.  And they figured it out within just a few minutes.  It turned out to be a common software problem.  I had to reboot the computer and re-install the software.  Which was a pain in itself because my anytime data is drained, so I had to let it slowly update until the bonus bytes kicked in in the middle of the night.  

Apple sent me a link:  https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht205956 I think this would be useful information for your tech support people.  Apple said this is a really common problem, so you might want to let your tech support people know.  It could save a lot of time when doing tech support for people with Apple computers.  
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Connectivity Problems with iMac

Hi Karen,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience, I'm sorry to hear of your frustrating call. This is great feedback, though, I will send your post to our call center managers so that they can help coach our phone agents to improve. Let me also send you some free tokens to show our appreciation.

I'm glad you were able to discern the cause of your connectivity concern, I'll bookmark that link and also send that to our call center managers so this can be shared knowledge and avoid similar situations with other Mac users. Again, thank you for sharing the solution you found that is exactly why the community exists. Smiley Happy

Thank you,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Thank you for the tokens, Liz!  I hope the information is helpful to your tech people, and helps save them some time.  As frustrating as it can be on my end, I know it's frustrating on the help side too.  I know they're doing their best.  I know it isn't easy trying to troubleshoot someone's problem remotely.   

A little bit after you responded, I got an email thanking me for my order.  I'm assuming that's for the free tokens.  The email doesn't give any information other than than something was ordered and an order number.  

You're welcome, Karen!  Yes, that order confirmation email was for the complimentary tokens I sent.

I do hope our reps find it useful, thank you again for providing us with this valuable bit of info.

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Associate Professor

When it comes to Apple based products... It can be difficult to troubleshoot unless the person on the other end has experience with an Apple based product, even if they have a guide in front of them to help troubleshoot.  This is why Hughesnet doesn't officially support any version of Linux, too many different versions, and too many custom software packages are wrote for *nix that could cause headaches, and very few people use it.

But, I am glad you was able to get the issue sorted with Apple directly.  This sort of problem also happens a bit with windows (bad drivers for network adapters and so on).