Connectivity issues (HT1100)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jasmer
Freshman

Connectivity issues (HT1100)

I'm hoping somebody can help me out here. I spent forever on the phone with customer service going in circles beacuse we couldn't properly troubleshoot. First off to kind of explain this, when Hughesnet came out to install I asked the guy to just knock our old DirecTV satellite off the top of the house and replace the dish and cable with Hughesnet stuff instead of drilling another hole in the wall. So the modem sits right next to the TV, along with our wireless router. Everything worked flawlessly since we installed in like November last year.

Starting just a couple days ago we've had very poor connectivity and the internet is down more often than it's up. I called customer service about it and the lady on the phone spent a lot of time troubleshooting with me. However I had nowhere to physically set up the PC near the modem for a direct connection. The CS rep didn't seem to understand this and kept asking me to connect to the modem despite repeatedly telling her it's physically impossible. 

Today I went to Walmart and picked up a cheap card table and set up the PC next to the modem and connected directly. Internet seemed to work fine and I was about to post asking for replacement modem suggestions, but it's doing its disconnection thing again. When I go to the modem homepage (192.168.0.1) the status is usually yellow with some error codes. It just kind of cycles between these errors:21.1.4.jpg

23.1.1.jpg21.1.5.jpg30.1.1.jpg12.7.1.jpg

hourly history.jpgdiagnostic codes.jpg

When it's working, connectivity test says packet loss is 0%. When it's not working, packet loss is obviously 100%. 

I can't call CS back because I do not understand them, like, at all. It's nothing personal, I'm terrible with accents, it is what it is. I can't stay connected long enough to chat. To reiterate, I am now able to connect my PC directly to the modem and the problem persists.

The sky is clear, light clouds at most. Weather has been blue skies and sunny since before the problem began. Clear view all around the dish. It worked better in the middle of winter snowstorms than it's working now, and this is definitely a new problem. I don't think the dish is out of alignment, the snow has melted and fallen off the roof and been gone for a good month now, and this problem only started a few days ago. Nothing else is around to bump or interfere with the dish.

As I type this State Code is back to 21.1.5 - Connecting to gateway. I had to try to submit this like 4 times because the window to access the internet is literally only a few seconds at a time then it's down for several minutes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Just a thought, but is the cable connection snug at the back of the modem?  

Yes, I've checked all the connections, made sure the cables and cords were snug. I've rebooted the terminal from the router page, and I've unplugged it for 30 seconds as well. What's the possibility that it's just a bad cable?

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I, personally, don't really know.  I do know that once in a whjile those cables can work their way loose, as they are normally only finger tight.  It was just an idea.  

It's most likely something a rep will have to run diagnostics on to see what it could be doing.  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Hrm...  Might be a gateway issue, but could also be modem or radio issue.

Is your modem connected to a power strip, an UPS, or directly to a wall outlet?  If it's connected either to a power strip or UPS, try plugging it directly into a wall outlet and let us know if anything changes.

The moderators here will probably have to look at your case notes and diagnostics to get a good idea of what to do.

It was plugged into a power strip. I plugged it directly into the wall and the problem has not been resolved. In fact it seems to have worsened throughout the day. I've had to copy/paste this post to notepad because I can't even access this site long enough to post before my connection drops again. It's getting where I often can't even access the modem homepage.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Right now there is some incliment weather at your gateway (Rapid City, SD) which could cause these issues, but I have a feeling it's equipment related.

@Amandaor @Liz will need to look at your system diagnostics to determine the best course of action.

Rapid City is almost 900 miles away from me. Why would weather there ruin my service here?

Honestly this is really starting to irritate me. I can't talk to customer service because I can't understand anything they say, and I can't stay online long enough to even submit a forum post without camping my modem homescreen for an hour just in case the **bleep** thing has green lights for a scant few seconds AND I manage to get lucky enough to submit a post that doesn't just time out. Since hotmail and gmail take even longer to load than this page it's starting to look like I'm not going to be able to get any kind of actual support for this.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Because that is where the location of your gateway is.  The signal you send out, and recieve has to go somewhere, does it not?  No Satellite ISP can throw gateways just anywhere, they are strategically located, and any one gateway can service several regions of the country.  For instance, I am in Kentucky, but depending on what service I use, I could end up going through Billings Montana, or San Diego.

That aside, this forum isn't monitored 24/7, like I said, Amanda or Liz will take a look at this topic and perform diagnostics to see what's happening.

Amanda

Hi Jasmer,

Sorry to hear you've been having so much trouble lately, we'll definitely be able to assist you. After running diagnostics on your account I discovered that your dish is out of alignment. We'll need to send a technician to get you back up and running, which would be at no cost to you. Could you please let me know your availability so that I can set up the visit? 

Thank you,

Amanda

Wow that simple huh? So there'll be no charges or costs associated with the tech coming out? I'm sorry if I seem paranoid, I had a pretty terrible experience with DirecTV lol.

Really any time monday-thursday will work. Thank you so much!

Hi Jasmer

Yes, absolutely free! 🙂 The best I could get is Monday, as the local techs were booked up already & don't seem to be open on the weekends. The time frame is in the afternoon, so around 1pm-5pm.

Thank you

Amanda

Sounds great, thank you so much!