Hughesnet Community

Considering Hughes Net as an ISP?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdhobbs

Considering Hughes Net as an ISP?

Aside from the incredible pervasive ignorance of their general staff, it is now apparent HughesNet does not even communicate well between departments!! In attempting to cancel the most lamentable excuse for a “service” in my lifetime, the incessant arguments and endless excuses has finally come to an end!  Amanda, one of the elite staffers I am told, offered me the option of cancelling my atrocious service, waiving any fees or return of equipment. After 2 hours and 43 minutes of attempting to communicate with a string of employees having the cumulative IQ of a line of fence posts, I think I’m finally done with this miserable assemblage of incompetents, save the pending regulatory agency complaints in process. 

If considering this company as an ISP, go for intensive therapy first. HughesNet insists you work for them more than they work for you! Their expensive service, when functional, is marginal at best and when you call to attempt to address a service issue, too bad. They have NO solutions, other than testing! Testing done on your time and at the expense of your meager data allowance. They then send you to this “place”, envisioned to be in the bowels of some medieval dungeon, where interminable trolls lurk in the shadows, telling you how insanely happy they are with their service and if you were just smarter, had an IT degree or used to drive spaceships, you’d really like HughesNet! What a stellar group of egotistical, technical “wizards" are herein encountered. 

BUYER BEWARE!!!!!
 These are dishonest, unethical and deceitful people, employed by a devious and dishonorable company. Pradman Kaul could learn much from an honest businessman. My attempt at doing business with HughesNet has given me a much greater appreciation for companies who actually CARE about customer satisfaction and are staffed with individuals having a command of the English language. HughesNet is only about customer volume. How deep can they put their hands into your pocket?  
110 REPLIES 110
mdhobbs

lol.....Keep away and spare yourself the humiliation! 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Michael's experience with Hughes I'm afraid is a comedy of errors.

His case is one of the few that .... "fell through the cracks" and that was due to a number of things.

Expectations and ... procedures.

Expectations were that his system was going to work ... and that is not too much to ask for.

The question then becomes: "Is this a Hughes problem or is this something on the subscribers end ... or a combination?.

That brings us to procedures.

The normal procedure is to call tier 1 support. That has got to be a tough job. In most cases it is outsourced. To me that means a language problem right from the start. I'm a twice retired Old Duffer machinist. Decades of exposure to high frequency noise has killed my ability to hear well. Talking to someone on the phone is a burden. Toss in a strong accent and it now is "difficult". I know my way around computers very well but I can only imagine the frustration a novice user would have  .. poor hearing, accented support of a unfamiliar subject, dropped calls, unreturned calls and last but not least ... The Sacred Script.

I can understand the frustration .... to a point.

Once here in the Community a user needs to understand that "Corporate" level support supersedes tier 1, tier 2, tier 3, Advanced ......

In reference to the above I give you Michael's "Who are we to Believe" topic:

https://community.hughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/who-are-we-to-believe

It was at this point a matter of "Let the insults and name calling begin".

We were not able to establish that three kings beat a pair. (Corporate vs Tier 1)

We were not able to keep the "conversation" flowing in order ... Top to Bottom .. so that many things were overlooked or misunderstood.

(IE: toggling turbopage)

That still leaves us at  what is the Root Of The Problem?

> run a series of speed tests under controlled conditions <

This was a lot harder than it should have been ... to many responses posted in the middle of a topic rather than at the end ... 1,2,3 4 ...

The purpose of course is to determine is the issue is periodic (overloaded beam) or systemic (could be related to poor install (static buildup due to poor grounding?) among many other things.

Collection of baseline data in usable form is key.

In this case we could NOT get Michael to conform to 3 "sets" of 3 to 5 tests in 24 hours over a two or three day period. It just went test after test after test .. in many cases in a size that engineering couldn't use. Wasted time, wasted dated and more frustration.

At times, phone support scares me. In this case someone felt that the issue was user related (OS or Network) hand referred him to HTS.

Not my first choice .. and then to remove Activity Monitor from the OS???????

Oh My!

I still think that because of diminishing data MD's slow speeds of an already "fragile" SP3 system had some basis of activity on his computer.

From a Hughes standpoint if the issue is rooted on the users end .. its on the user .. but we never really got good baseline info.

Engineering, once involved, is not likely to call a subscriber directly. They will make "tweaks" and perhaps make notes or update a Mod if that was the method of escalation but thinks are going to have to be eliminated one by one before they tinker with a users outroute and individual service server.

It is not a fast process and there is not a lot of "feedback". BirdDog had a speed issue a couple of years ago and it took about 6 weeks to get resolved from beginning to end and he knows the "drill" as well as anyone.

It is the nature of a satellite connection to be more fragile that a ground based system .. there are more "moving parts" and the FIX is not as simple as flipping a switch.

The root issue for Michael MAY have been a totally saturated beam to which there is no fix under the current picture.

The fix obviously is to wait out the introduction of Gen5 and that will also take its own timeframe.

This whole thing could have went better than it did but frustration is what it is .. but so are repeated caustic remarks and outright name calling.

Time for this thread to R.I.P,

mdhobbs

Life happens while we’re making others plans. Yes, there were many errors and insults associated with this entire fiasco and I own my rude remarks. It was not all bad and I actually enjoyed much of the sarcastic banter. 

I was sent to this site by the folks at Home Tech, with the understanding that “experts” would be taking my case from that point forward. That did not happen. I received the canned initial response from the employees and afterward it was pretty much the non-employees who were doing all the talking and making recommendations, when not being rude or condescending and highly critical of my limited experience with computers. No, we did not get off to a good start and I remain highly resentful of the actual employees doing little to nothing throughout the period from July to January. But, that is old history and immaterial now. 

Having no bearing at this juncture, but had I known the Hughes system was so severely laden with major service problems and hosted so many grossly unhappy customers, I would never have signed up. I have no wish to know the inner workings of computers, no desire to be a tech and care less about how satellites function. I am and wish to remain, plug-n-play. 

So, thats that. It is what it is. If planning to continue your issue resolution efforts, consider being a bit more tolerant of other folks while understanding everyone does not enjoy your level of technological expertise. Mark Twain said it best I think, “We’re all ignorant just ignorant of different things”. You gain nothing being callous and rude to others as you attempt to dazzle them with knowledge and they are already peeved and frustrated or would not be here to begin with. 

Best wishes for a peaceful, safe and prosperous 2017 and beyond. 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

More laughable nonsense.  It's become blatantly obvious that all you can do, or I should say try to do, is make yourself look superior.  It would be nothing but comical, if it weren't somewhat sad and pathetic.

Making a fool of myself?  Wow, if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black.  That's the only thing you've done since your first post.

mdhobbs

Say bozo....why do you insist on doing this to yourself? Doze back off...we’ll wake you if needed. 
Amanda

Goodbye mdhobbs, we hope you have a better experience with your next ISP.