cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering Switching

Honorary Alumnus

Re: Considering Switching

I have the 50/50 Ultra plan and usually have above plan speeds.
If you wish to not have auto pay you will wish to request invoice billing that costs an additional $5 per month.

I live in No,Cal close to being off the grid and unfortunately nothing else is available ...
Junior

Don't switch - I did four months ago and have had nothing but problems since.  From what I have been told the Ultra Program 50/50 has been having a lot of trouble. Hughes as been a good company to work with, and has tried to come up with a solution, but what good is having all that data - if the speeds won't let you use it?  Also check out the company that is going to do the installing.  They are on a franchise type system and once they get you signed up they could care less.  They are a (distributor, installer, on site tech),etc. According to the one that did my install -- all the problems are my fault and he is not going to waste his time coming out to help with the physical (equipment) problems.  So I would advise you to stay where you are until you are 100% sure changing is the right thing.  Don't forget -- once you have been with Hughes a month, you are locked into a two year contract, unless you want to pay a penalty in the hundreds of dollars.

Oh I know this installer does a great job he was the one that done my exede and caught him doing my neighbors hughesnet and he gave me his number to call if I decide to switch. And thank you all for your honest opinions. I do know location matters some beams are overloaded and also install is a BIG thing and can cost you alot of headache.

Also I am an Elite member to Exede and fixing for the first time to ask for a reset (suppose to get 2 a year) I have never used one but this could be what helps me make this decision LOL. I am curious if they are going to give what was promised.

It is terrible when its like that I know when I signed up for Wildblue years back and you would get FAPed it wanted to pull my hair out since you might as well not had internet in fact when i first signed up for wildblue I had earthlink dial up as a back up LOL

If you neighbor switched to Gen4 give it a few months and see how the service is with them. Maybe go use their service to test it yourself. If speeds are what you want and expect then you know to switch.

Also you mention that your speeds are not extremely slow after you go over your usage limits. That is good to know (hope all Exede customers are like that). I am looking into switching to Exede from HughesNet. The only Gen4 plans available in my area are 5 GB, 10 GB, 15 GB, and 20 GB + smart browsing (20 GB is the only one with smart browsing) and I am not paying $120 for internet. All the plans are with 50 GB bonus bytes -- that does not sound like enough to me esp with only have 10 - 15 GB anytime!

Not all areas are the same with the available plans and promotions. Some areas do have free installs for Exede. My area is one that does not as well. And the equipment lease options are also holding me back. In the last 2 weeks I have got information from my local Exede installer. They mentioned Exede now has a lifetime lease option but the price seams pretty high. If you know you will be staying with them for 3 or more years then it would be worth it. (Month to month lease is $9.99 -- 24 month lease is $199 -- and lifetime is $299).

I just went and checked if there were any changes to Exede plans and promotions in my area. They changed the plans (which I do not know if I like) and still no free install!

It is now showing Liberty plans for my area! (It was always the classic plans). It my knowledge the Liberty plans do not have an unlimited usage period. I will never get through 2 weeks with only having a set amount of usage 24/7. If I am unable to get a plan with a unlimited usage period I do not think I will be switching to Exede!!

If you do not mind what area are you in.... Like mentioned before some areas are more crowded and speeds could be different. I am in Southern PA area which I'm sure is a high satellite area with the mountains and all in the area!

I am on a plan you can not get anymore. I think the only plan they have now that has an unlimited period is 10GB day with unlimited 2 to 5 am i believe and Ithink I just might do that and see after a month what neighbor has to say with some use. I gues if they shut down that plan I am not at a loss and just stay where I am LOL