Hughesnet Community

Constant Buffering, Sluggish Webpage Loading, Ongoing 6 Months+ (attn: @Remy)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bare65
Advanced Tutor

Constant Buffering, Sluggish Webpage Loading, Ongoing 6 Months+ (attn: @Remy)

@Remy  I'm not sure if you remember but a while back...at least 6 months ago, if not longer, I started a discussion with you regarding some connectivity issues I was experiencing at that time. During that discussion, you decided to dispatch a tech to my house, however, after a day or so of me plugging and unplugging my modem, my service seemed to improve, the speeds that is... and not wanting to waste anyone's time coming all the way out here for nothing (we live in the desert boonies)  I contacted you via that same discussion and cancelled that service call / technician appt. thinking that my service was back to normal.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the case, and if anything, the disruptions to our service is only getting worse...

Over the past 6 months or so my internet service has noticeably deteriorated to the point where I'm unable to watch any sort of streaming content (Netflix, Hulu, Peacock, YouTube and so on) without experiencing constant buffering every 10 seconds or so. Hulu & Peacock were always a little iffy at the best of times, but now even my Netflix won't stream without the continued buffering. This constant buffering, streaming issues, general sluggish webpage loading has been occurring on ALL devices I use (Smart TV, Chromecast, Tablet, Cellphone and even my desktop computer).

I've tried connecting my devices using both the 2.4 GHz & 5.0 GHz, and my desktop computer via ethernet cable.

Let me be clear, This is NOT just a WiFi issue,  

These same issues also occur on my desktop computer which is connected to the HT2000w moden via ethernet cable.

Right now I'm in FAP and so I understand my speeds are currently throttled, but even with throttled service, my service was never this slow or crappy. 

Right at this moment, the only thing I have connected to my modem is my desktop computer (which is connected to the my HT2000W via ethernet cable). Here is a screen shot of my connected devices..

screenshot-192.168.0.1-2023.01.12-17_45_51.png

I've disconnected everything else but I'm still unable to load even the simplest of webpages on my desktop computer without a distinct sluggishness/slowness. Trying to do anything more than that and the content just simply won't load or play. (for example, streaming video of any kind, short video from news websites, ect) I've even tried using different browsers on my computer. Chrome, Firefox, Edge...you name it...it doesn't make a bit of difference.

I took screen shots from this morning and again from this evening of my speeds via testmy.net...I can't even do the usual 25mb tests because it takes FOREVER.  screenshot-testmy.net-2023.01.12-17_48_33.png

Like I said, this started well over 6 months ago and is just getting worse and worse regardless of whether we are FAP or not. 

I would at least expect better, faster service when we DO have data, but unfortunately there is no improvement to our speeds or service in general even when our monthly data plan resets on the 20th of each month..

Are there any known issues going on that I'm not aware off? My HT2000W System Control Center is not displaying any errors or codes (besides the FAP 24.1.1 that I'm currently in) and I've unplugged the modem several times and done everything else I can think of doing on my end to improve my service without any success.

We live out here in the desert boonies (literally) and the satellite dish itself has no doubt taken a beaten over all of these years what with the wind and dust storms we get. Is it possible that my equipment and/or the dish needs to be replaced or relined? Is out equipment outdated or in need of a tune up? Could that affect the signal and/or speeds? I'm just trying to figure up what to do to get our service back to where it was...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance...

17 REPLIES 17
bare65
Advanced Tutor

@Remy    Here is my speed test from a few minutes ago...

screenshot-testmy.net-2023.01.13-08_28_45.png

I still have approx. 24G worth of bonus 2am-8am data, but was unable to perform even basic web surfing via my desktop computer when I tried between 3am and 4am this morning. I needed to pay some online bills and work on some other projects and couldn't even get the majority of the websites I tried to access/visit to even load (Verizon Wireless being just one of them). 

My speeds, although currently throttled due to FAP of my service plan data (15GB) should of resumed to norm once my bonus period started at 2am....they didn't. ☹️

Again...this has been pretty much our service for the past 6 or so months. 

I need to find a fix for this...Can you please help me with these ongoing issues.

🙂

bare65,

Thanks for reaching back out! We appreciate the detailed information, it helps us out to pinpoint issues. I'll go ahead and set up a new technician visit to your site, so we can hopefully get this issue resolved! Our local tech company will be reaching out to schedule a date and time to come assist with the ongoing problem!

Thanks,

Remy

bare65
Advanced Tutor

Thank you @Remy 

Last night I couldn't get any webpages to load on our computer (trying to work on yearly taxes 🙄) and hubby completely gave up trying to stream anything on the TV.

Usually he has more patience than me and will say "just give it a minute, it will start playing in a few" but the continuous buffering icon displayed on our TV (aka circle of doom) was too much, even for him. It took all he had to not throw the remote thru our 75" TV 😂🤣

bare65
Advanced Tutor

@Remy 

Were you able to set up a technician visit? No one has contacted me yet via phone or email with regards to scheduling a visit. Have you heard anything on your end? 

Just now got a call from the tech...scheduled appt. for tomorrow morning. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

bare65,

I pinged the tech company assigned to your case earlier today. I'd expect a call in the near future!

Thanks,

Remy

bare65
Advanced Tutor

@Remy 

The technician came out. Was here just over 4 hours 😲 He did a number of things including running new cable and moving the modem into my livingroom so I could connect the TV directly to the modem via ethernet. As it was previously, my desktop computer was connected via ethernet to the modem which was in my master bedroom. He thought that may make a difference as far as being able to stream content on our TV....and my desktop computer is now using the 2.4GHz frequency (can't get it to connect on the 5GHz). He also switched out the modem several times as the lights (2nd, 3rd and 4th from the bottom) were intermittently flashing (which is what they were doing on my old modem). Those lights are still flickering / flashing (not sure if that's the correct terminology) and he's not sure why it's doing that.

He called into Hughesnet and they verified the 'flickering' but had no explanation for it either. With that being said he then switched me over to a new beam which did improve the signal strength. I'm now in the 99 range...before was anywhere from 65-80 on the old beam. 

I'm no longer in FAP (my monthly data reset this morning) but compared to last month when our data reset but we still were constantly buffering, my tv TODAY is streaming content much better and even though the lights are still flickering away, it has yet to buffer (I'm currently streaming Pluto TV)

My computer seems to be running just fine via wifi and the 2.4GHz frequency so I'll just leave it as it is. 

I appreciate that you helped me with this. I'll let you know if we have any additional issues, but for the time being, things seems to have greatly improved.

Many thanks again....

bare65
Advanced Tutor

Quick update, it's been about 4 weeks or so since the technician came out and drank two pot of coffee...err, I mean fixed our internet issues 😂 and I am very happy to say that our  service is 1000% better. @Remy thank you for addressing this issue quickly and sending out a tech to make the necessary repairs.

bare65,

That's fantastic to hear! I'm glad the technician was able to get everything back up and running to proper form. If you have any issues pop up in the future, please don't hesitate to reach back out to us!

Thanks,

Remy

bare65
Advanced Tutor

@Remy 

Rather than start a whole new topic / request, being that I'm having the same exact issues as before I figured I would just use this previous request for help with my internet service. Once again, after about 7-8 months (Aug/Sep) of fairly good 'streaming' service (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Disney+) things started deteriorating and now, since end of Oct, we are now back to buffering every few seconds again, and or cannot connect at any our streaming apps, to the point where we just give up. 

Just like before (please scroll back to read the exact issues we are having as they are the same), this is not just happening as a result of being throttled which is our current state. This issue is occurring even when we have available data and/or data during our bonus hours. 

Did

Also, ALL of my 'free' and prepaid' data tokens that I was saving for a raining day have disappeared.

I had at least 10-15GB worth of saved tokens, if not more saved up.

The grandkids came over the other night so I figured I would try adding two of those 'free' 0.5 GB tokens I had in the hopes that this would help us watch a show on Disney+ but when I went into my account I couldn't find/see them.

All I see is this? Did they expire?? Did they get moved somewhere else? My entire HN account seems to have been redesigned since my last visit back in Feb so I'm not sure if I'm even looking in the right place or not. (Usage>Data Token Purchase?)

519f5cbe-a368-4cd4-9041-5ef9334fd603.png

Hoping you can help fix our internet service again like you have done in the past...

Many thanks,

@bare65

Thank you for reaching out to us again and I am sorry to hear this. It sounds like you are experience slow speeds due to exceeding the monthly data limit this time. I did not see any other issues with the service besides this when running remote diagnostics. Please review this link http://hninfo.us/datatips for helpful tips. If you would like me to find which devices are using the most data on your network I can. As far as the tokens you added, these look to have already been used -Damian 

bare65
Advanced Tutor

@Damian 

"It sounds like you are experience slow speeds due to exceeding the monthly data limit this time"

I'm sorry, but perhaps you didn't scroll back and read my initial messages from back in February where I was experiencing the exact same thing.....this ISSUE happens every 8-10 months of so and occurs regardless of whether I'm throttled or not, regardless of what time of day OR night it is, and even happens during my bonus period when I ALWAYS have unused data remaining.

The tokens in question were not initially added by ME...

These 'prepaid, and 'free' tokens were add by YOU guys over the years I've had service with you and I've been saving them up. I used a 0.5g token about a year ago and at that time I still had well over 12gb worth of tokens.

So when exactly were these tokens used? You must be able to at least see, on what dates, 10+ GB of tokens were being used on because they certainly just didn't disappear.

I've been a customer for over 15+ years so I'm very well aware of how to get the most out of my measly 15gb of monthly data that I'm currently subscribed too (50gb bonus hours, 2am-8am). Even if I am throttled, I still should be able to stream Netflix. As it is now, even with data, I can't get ANYTHING video to stream...again, this happens every 8-10 months or so. I will have very good service otherwise.

These past few times Remy has had to send a tech out to re-adjust/re-point?? my dish to get my service back to normal.

I would respectfully ask that you look back at my previous complaints from February and send someone out here to fix my internet service again so we can get back to our normal, otheriwse, good service. 

Many thanks.

@bare65 

I do see the line of site on your dish is slightly poor again. Since this seems to happen every year, I'm wondering if the dish is installed in unstable ground or you have strong winds moving the dish out of alignment. I can have a technician go out again to repoint and hopefully secure the dish better to avoid this happening again, if that is the cause. Please private message me with the best dates and times for an appointment and I will work on getting one set up. You can private message me by clicking this link https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/76644 . -Damian 

bare65
Advanced Tutor

@Damian 

Thank you for taking another look into this for us.

If you look at my physical location, we are very remote out here and on occasion have extremely high windstorms in excess of 40+ mph, so that could very well be what has shifted the line of sight. The brackets and dish itself itself are still very secure / solid as I just checked on both a few days ago. I think the last major windstorm we had out here was about 3 months ago.

In any event, I will send you a pm with dates so you can schedule a technician.

I very much appreciate it.

Thank you,

@bare65

I was successfully able to schedule your appointment for 11/18/2023 between 08:00AM - 11:00AM free of charge. This was the soonest available. If you need to reschedule for any reason, you can call our support line and they will get it rescheduled as soon as possible.  I made sure to add a note so they make sure call you for specific directions. -Damian 

bare65
Advanced Tutor

@Damian 

Thank you, I just received the text message confirming the appointment. I very much appreciate it and will let you know how the appointment goes. Thank you for adding the note too as our physical address does not accurately show up on any map (Google maps, and so on). 

bare65
Advanced Tutor

@Damian 

Thank you for helping me get my internet back up to where it is supposed to be...

I spoke to the technician yesterday, and he actually ended up coming out here very early this morning (6.30am) instead, as he doesn't actually work on weekends, which ended up being perfect.

He said that the dish on the side of my house was an 'older' smaller version and he said that it had probably warped/curved?? from the elements over the years, and so he replaced it with a larger newer dish. He said my satellite receive signal strength was much better as a result of replacing the dish and so far today I have had no issues streaming different video content on our TV (Netflix, Disney, Hulu and so on).

I haven't experienced any buffering, and currently, being out of data, my speeds are throttled (my monthly data doesn't reset until the 20th) so I'm very happy to be back up and running like before.

@bare65 

That is so great to hear and I am glad this issue was able to be resolved. Please reach out again whenever you need us. -Damian