Hughesnet Community

Constant DNS errors/ or 'this page can't be displayed' . It has taken me more than 2 days of page reloads to even post.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Don4

Constant DNS errors/ or 'this page can't be displayed' . It has taken me more than 2 days of page reloads to even post.

Constant DNS errors/ or 'this page can't be displayed' . It has taken me more than 2 days of trying to get thru all the page reloads to even post.  In IE it's a generic "server not found" blank page etc type message, in Firefox it directly says DNS lookup error.  This happens probably at least 50-100 times per day until I give up, other times 5-10 times within a 5 minute window.

Time of day does not matter, it happens all day long and all night long.

HTTPS is affected too.  Disabling the turbo page doesn't seem to help.

It's not our router, we tested without the router by connecting PC  directly to hughesnet (HN) modem,  HN modem has been rebooted many times, and bought a brand new netgear router, no change at all.  It is on all our devices (phones/tablets/computers)

Router is set to get DNS automatically from ISP, manually setting to Hughes DNS servers changed nothing.

It has to be something they changed in the satellite service in the past month or two.  I sent an email help request and got a call back when I was not here to answer it.  Please no calls, that never helps.  My case ID for this issue is 54480023.
18 REPLIES 18
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Don,

DNS info is cached by the following devices within your "Network"

The Hughes Modem (The cure ... remove AC power from the modem for 30 + seconds.)

Your Router (the cure ... ( in part)  .. remove AV power from the Router for 30+ seconds)

IF your router is set to get DNS from ISP ... and it doesn't  work as you wish .. change it:

Understand that you may have to open a command prompt and run a "ipconfig/ flushdns" to clean out any cached OS DNS info.

If no router, you will have to open each network adaptor .. both wired and wireless and manually change DNS settings.

Don4

Yes, I have done all that and it doesn't help.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Router is set to get DNS automatically from ISP, manually setting to Hughes DNS servers changed nothing.

Please note that DHCP and DNS are TWO different things.

You do NOT want to set to Hughes DNS servers if you are having issues.

You DO wish to have YOUR router perform DHCP duties.

DUMP ALL cached data:

Restart in order:

Modem

Router

Computer (then run flush dns command)

Post screenshots.

Don4

I have done all that and it didn't seem to help. I was kind of hoping for the 'trick' Amanda did on the DNS case last week where she said "we're changing your connections route" for Daavv3T.  But I guess I'll give it ago again and take screen shots.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Don't "give up", Networking has a lot of ... twists, some make sense, some don't.

Amanda

Hi Don

Thank you for posting your concerns. I have your account pulled up since you registered with your HughesNet e-mail address and I can see I can probably do the same fix for you too. Allow me to make a case today and when you post back, I'll know you are online and I can make the changes for you so we can test it out.

Thanks
Amanda
jthovendick

I have the same problem as Don. I have that same error message anytime of any day! It isn't so much that it is annoying but more for the fact I have a home based business. When I get home from work at night I jump on my business page and get that error. I get the error if I try to get on Facebook so I can message my customers. It is so frecking bad I give up and go to my phone and go outside.  I have tried just using Hughesnet directly plugged into my computer and I have also used a wireless router. In fact 4 months ago I bought a brand new Asus AC88U for $300+ dollars that can handle all sorts of stuff and it still is the same. My husband cant get on his iPad to check grain markets or weather for his farming and he is so incredibly angry for the price we pay.  I have even asked for a new modem to which I get the same answer that it isn't the modem but the router..
Don4

I followed the order and reset from 'auto from ISP' to the Google servers of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. and still get errors.

Don4

Don4

jthovendick, I'm not sure if you can get help in my thread - you may need to start a new one of your own.  I feel your frustration. We were looking at switching to cellular as we got 4G cell service here when we 1st moved in and had it for 2 years then last Aug. they changed something and we only get 3G cell data now, so Sat. service is our only option.  If you get good cell data service you might want to look into switching to that. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Did you read Amanda's post above? It will be Monday before she is back here.

Also, I have a good 4G signal here, still not switching due to cost being much higher. Read the fine print with cellular data plans.
Don4

Yep I read Amanda's post.  We tried working with Verizon to figure out why our service went from 4G to 3G at our house and the only answer they had for us is its our phones no matter that our phones work great everywhere else and when people visit their service goes to 3G too.  I told them someone repositioned the antenna and they say they can't address that,
Don4

Hi Amanda, hope you can help. I've done the steps suggested by Gwalk900,Champion and it has not helped.  Some additional info - we have been having the problem for almost 2 months now.  Last week we went to an internet café type place that had high speed service and our computers and devices worked great with no DNS errors.
Don4

Hi                Amanda, Official Rep, I'm online
Amanda

Thanks Don!! I am getting on the change now. It should take about 30 minutes to be fully complete

Amanda
Don4

Amanda, Official Rep      I've been using it for about 2 hours now and have not had any problems so far.  I did the restart process of modem/router/computer/flush dns about 2.5 hours ago.   Thanks for your help!
Amanda

Hi Don

That's great news! We're happy to hear that. I'll leave your post open for another week or so, but give us a shout just in case you need help again.

Thanks
Amanda
Amanda

Hi Don

In reference to our last conversation, we're assuming the issue is resolved now. Please don't hesitate to make a new post if you have trouble again. It was a pleasure assisting you.

Thanks,
Amanda