Hughesnet Community

Constant DNS lookup errors - HN9000

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joannesteve

Constant DNS lookup errors - HN9000

About 3 days ago - June 3, 2016 we started experiencing rampant DNS Lookup Errors.   It can occur on any site, no specific pattern.   Ive recycled our modem, Ive recycled our router.  It continues to be a problem.  It occurs on any device {Desktop, Laptop, tablet}
I see many posts out here addressing the same error, but only one that was recent in the past 2 weeks.
I was wondering if someone could review our account and see if there are any issues.
The only difference Ive noticed about the time this began, is that on our system control page, the AGW TOG Location has changed.  It was somewhere in Colorado or Utah, and now its "36 Amarillo, TX"  I assume we have different DNS servers now.   Please help resolve this, it does make working from home difficult.
10 REPLIES 10
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Have you tried connecting your computer directly to the modem, sans router, to see if it still happens? 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Also, power off the modem so as to clear it's cached DNS info and then open a cmom and prompt on the computer and do a ipconfi/flushdns command to clear out any OS cached DNS info.
joannesteve

Yes, Ive connected directly to the modem, still has the same DNS Lookup errors.    This error happens on all devices.  I can certainly flush dns on a desktop and a laptop.  How is this accomplished on a tablet device - apple or android?
Amanda

Hello Joanne,

Welcome to our community and thank you for your post. We're very sorry you've been having this issue for this long and would love to take a look and see what is going on. Since you signed in with your HughesNet e-mail, we will be able to locate your account without further information and run diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment. We will let you know if we find anything and what the next steps should be! 
Thanks for your patience,

Amanda
Chris11
Alum

Hello Joanne,

After running diagnostics on your site we have decided to dispatch a technician to re-peak your dish. Your Dispatch is currently scheduled for Wednesday, Jun 8, 2016 between 08:00 AM-11:00 AM. If this time is inconvenient for you please give us a call at 1-866-347-3292. This should alleviate what you are experiencing. The diagnostics showed a bad alignment which could cause intermittent connection etc. Please keep us posted on the status of your site once the tech has completed the repair. Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Thank you,
Chris
joannesteve

Hey Chris, thanks we will be on the lookout for the technician.   Will this cause any disruption to the service while the re-peak is done?   I'm actually working from home tomorrow, so I will be able to test out immediately once its done.   Thanks for the reply.    Steve.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

joannesteve,

I was hoping you would see that in time.  LOL.  Chris won't be on again until tomorrow morning (Wednesday morning).  Re-peaking is basically realigning (repointing) the dish, so there may be some temporary disruption while the tech is doing this. 

Chris11
Alum

Hi Joannesteve,

Yes it is most likely that you will be unable to use the service during the time the tech his peaking the dish. It shouldn't be a huge time consuming repair though, so you'll be back up and running in no time. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
Chris
joannesteve

Hey Chris, the tech (Stephen) came out this morning, and did perform the repointing of our satellite dish.   We did not test that however, as after explaining that there would be no costs / fees to upgrade to Gen4, we decided to go ahead and do the upgrade.   Along with a faster download speed (upload is about the same), we haven't seen any further DNS lookup errors so far.

Thanks to everyone one for their help with this.
Steve.
Chris11
Alum

Hi joannesteve,

I'm glad to hear you decided to upgrade and are experiencing an improvement! If you have anymore questions or concerns feel free to let me know.

Thank you,
Chris