Constant disconnection to Internet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nathangilbert
Freshman

Constant disconnection to Internet

I've been a cust. for 1 1/2 years now. Everything been OK until about a month ago my sat started randomly disconnecting then connecting now its so bad that I can barely load a web page running a HT1100 tests fine when connected. Hughes cust service says it tests fine so they will not send new modem now I'm stuck with $expensive spotty to no service till contract ends in summer 2018
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@nathangilbert

Amanda won't be back until Tuesday due to the holiday, but in the meantime you should try connecting your laptop directly to the HT1100 modem, not through the router, to see if the problem is still occuring.  The router first needs to be ruled out as a possible cause of the problem.  

View solution in original post

Worked much better when connected straight to modem! Thanks. Question, since my router is only as old as My Hughes service, did it go bad or is HughesNet somehow making it not work so we will switch to Gen 5 built in wifi? The timing of router problems suspiciously coincides with Gen 5 launch

GabeU

@nathangilbert

Like Mark indicated, it's just coincidence.  In fact, some people even still choose to use their own router with the HT2000W instead of it's built in WiFi.  

If you want to just get another router that's fine, or you can request the HT2000W to use with your Gen4, which Mark indicated, and which I, too, believe they do.  To be honest, though, if everything with your HughesNet service works well, I, personally, would probably just get an inexpensive replacement router instead of going with the HT2000W (if that option is available), but that's just me.  Unless, that is, you need one of the more expensive ones that have more capabilities (like data monitoring and such).   

Chances are it's the router itself, but just to be sure you could try connecting it with a different LAN cable, as those cables do occasionally go bad.   Well, more often the connectors on the ends of the cable than the cable itself, as they can get a bit loose.  Maybe try the one you normally use to connect your laptop to the router if you don't have a spare, then see if any of the wireless devices are still losing connection.  If it turns out to just be a cable, that's a nice, cheap fix.  🙂      

7 REPLIES 7
Amanda

Hi Nathangilbert

We're sorry to hear you're having so much trouble keeping a steady connection. Are you experiencing this issue while directly connected to the HT1100? What kind of devices are you having this issue on? I will also run diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment and see if  I can find any reason for the disconnects.

Thank you,

Amanda

Hi Amanda thank you for your time, I have a linksys EA7400 router hooked to the modem this problem occurs with all things connected to wifi, including laptop hard wired to router
GabeU

@nathangilbert

Amanda won't be back until Tuesday due to the holiday, but in the meantime you should try connecting your laptop directly to the HT1100 modem, not through the router, to see if the problem is still occuring.  The router first needs to be ruled out as a possible cause of the problem.  

Worked much better when connected straight to modem! Thanks. Question, since my router is only as old as My Hughes service, did it go bad or is HughesNet somehow making it not work so we will switch to Gen 5 built in wifi? The timing of router problems suspiciously coincides with Gen 5 launch

Short answer. No.

To my knowledge you can replace your HT1100 with the newer HT2000w while still on Gen 4.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@nathangilbert

Like Mark indicated, it's just coincidence.  In fact, some people even still choose to use their own router with the HT2000W instead of it's built in WiFi.  

If you want to just get another router that's fine, or you can request the HT2000W to use with your Gen4, which Mark indicated, and which I, too, believe they do.  To be honest, though, if everything with your HughesNet service works well, I, personally, would probably just get an inexpensive replacement router instead of going with the HT2000W (if that option is available), but that's just me.  Unless, that is, you need one of the more expensive ones that have more capabilities (like data monitoring and such).   

Chances are it's the router itself, but just to be sure you could try connecting it with a different LAN cable, as those cables do occasionally go bad.   Well, more often the connectors on the ends of the cable than the cable itself, as they can get a bit loose.  Maybe try the one you normally use to connect your laptop to the router if you don't have a spare, then see if any of the wireless devices are still losing connection.  If it turns out to just be a cable, that's a nice, cheap fix.  🙂      

Wanted to say thank you to all who weighed in on this issue! The problems ended up being that cheap cable they set u up with that guess from modem to router (in this case). Luckily I had an alt better cable, replaced and now works excellent again!👍