Hughesnet Community

Constant excessive data depletion without usage!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeff.fliesen

Constant excessive data depletion without usage!

Constant excessive data depletion without usage! I have been dealing with tech support for over a month now since I signed up for this service to no satisfaction being told I need to learn how to manage my data. I have gotten nowhere with tech support other than to go days without service disconnecting from modem so that test can be run with no notification back on what the results are. Also called 301-428-5500 to contact higher tech support and was told that I needed to call 866-347-3292 as that was the only support available.

I have read other post to see if I could diagnose how and what is happening and from one post imstalled the full version of GlassWire and from what I see I am not using anywhere closed to the high usage of data that HughesNet is reporting that I am using.  When my computer is connected to the HughesNet modem I can just sit her and watch from the HughesNet System Status go down one tenth of a GB at a time.  I tried to install the HughesNet Status Meter Setup and all I get is an error message "Installation directory must be on a local hard drive."

Here are just some of the problems I have seen over the past month.

It is my diagnosis that the problem is coming either from HughesNet software and/or hardware problem as it only happens when connected to the computer.  Also I feel that it is being caused by corruption on data as packets that are being sent & resent with HughesNet charging & re-charging for that corrupt data and the failed packets.  One time it took me 12 hours to upload two files that where 2.5 MB as they kept failing and looking back now I think that is what used up GB's of data as I really needed to send those network drawings for work that I had done.  Just writing this post has cost 3/10th of a GB up to this point where I have only uploaded 1.16 MB of jpeg files.  I also tried downloading AutoCAD Omega Alpha for Beta Testing (2.23GB) and those files where corrupt and I was not able to install.  This service after all the data is depleted is then throttled down to a 56k connection on download.

Here are the only 5 case numbers I was given from the more than a dozen calls I placed:
20 REPLIES 20
Stacey Watkins

Yes Hugh's net steals data and there is nothing you can do about it. Cancel credit card at bank and turn off service. They will try and steel your money if you don't cancel cc.
Amanda

Hello Jeff,

Welcome to our community - sorry to hear about your concerns. We'd like to do some testing to see what we can turn up. Here's an nice graphic with easy to perform instructions (click to enlarge)

Also something to remember is that exceeding your data allowance will cause your speeds to slow down, which will affect the ability to upload or download files. This is especially true for your service plan as your throttled speeds are somewhere around ~150kbps and probably lower for uploads. 

Looking forward to the results of your data test!

Thanks
Amanda
Stacey Watkins

Stealing data, I don't know why you would test that??
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Stacey,

It would be best if you were to start a new topic of your own so that support efforts can be focused on your specific problem.

In general data can only be used in two places. On the Hughes end or on the users end of the network.

The test described above is to determine if the Hughes modem is using data on its own.

If the modem is found to be "not guilty" then information will be given on how to dig deeper into what programs, processes or devices on a users network is using the data.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Steals what?  They don't steal data.  They don't steal money.  So what is it they steal? 
maratsade

Wow, Stacey, you're encouraging people to break the law. Shame on you.
GabeU

Not only that, but it's a great way to ruin your credit rating. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Well, they do charge for service, and an ETF if applicable, also un-returned equipment fee, all according to the contract. So if that is stealing then I have a number of companies who are stealing from me.
jeff.fliesen

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Constant excessive data depletion without usage!.

I have been dealing with tech support for over a month now since I signed up for this service to no satisfaction being told I need to learn how to manage my data. I have gotten nowhere with tech support other than to go days without service disconnecting from modem so that test can be run with no notification back on what the results are. I also called 301-428-5500 to contact higher tech support and was told that I needed to call 866-347-3292 as that was the only support available.

I have read other post to see if I could diagnose how and what is happening and from one post installed the full version of GlassWire and from what I see I am not using anywhere closed to the high usage of data that HughesNet is reporting that I am using. When my computer is connected to the HughesNet modem I can just sit her and watch from the HughesNet System Status go down one tenth of a GB at a time. I tried to install the HughesNet Status Meter Setup and all I get is an error message "Installation directory must be on a local hard drive."

It is my diagnosis that the problem is coming either from HughesNet software and/or hardware problem as it only happens when connected to the computer. Also, I feel that it is being caused by corruption on data as packets that are being sent & resent with HughesNet charging & re-charging for that corrupt data and the failed packets. One time it took me 12 hours to upload two files that where 2.5 MB as they kept failing and looking back now I think that is what used up GB's of data as I really needed to send those network drawings for work that I had done. Just writing this post has cost 3/10th of a GB up to this point where I have only uploaded 1.16 MB of jpeg files. I also tried downloading AutoCAD Omega Alpha for Beta Testing (2.23GB) and those files where corrupt and I was not able to install. This service after all the data is depleted is then throttled down to a 56k connection on download.

Last time I called in I was told that I would be given a 3GB added to my account which either was never done or it was depleted while I was disconnected from the modem. The service is supposed to be 5MB downstream and the highest speed I have ever seen was only 500k and when I call tech support all I get is apologies and told that that speed is not available in my area and that HughesNet will be sending up a satellite in December that will fix that problem, yet in the meantime here I am being charged an excessive high price, for as they have admitted it “Not fully functional system” that is working as I would describe it “Like a leaking water meter” where I am paying for the leaks of their broken equipment. I am also getting daily e-mail messages from HughesNet and Web pages that come up when I try to go to other Web pages saying that I am past due on my monthly fees that they tried to deduct automatically from my bank account even though I had never authorized that. I had then called HughesNet to find out that they do this without telling the customer they are doing that to save them a $5.00 charge on the bill that is a discount for automatic payment even though I was never informed that when I first signed up for the service. I then told them that there was a problem with me making a payment as I was not able to make a deposit to my out of state bank account due to the poor depleted service every time I tried to deposit a check using a smartphone or IPad and that I would have to mail the deposit to the bank which last time I did take seven days.

Another thing that bothered me was that during the install I was asked to sign things for the install from a small wireless device without being given the ability to read or know what I was signing, as I was a little worried from when they were drilling into the new roof and that might be doing damage and I was signing a release from their damage from the install. I paid $168.98 on 10/06/2016 for the install and first month’s service, having to wait some time past that for the install now wondering if it may cost thousands to repair the roof before winter if I need to remove the poor working satellite service. Another thing is that HughesNet does offer the option to purchase Tokens for more GB’s of service and at the rate that there leaking system is going losing like 20GB in a week it would cost me like an additional $480.00 on top of the $79.39 bringing it to a total of $559.39 more than that of the monthly cost of a T1 line totally un-affordable for just home service.
Amanda

Hi Jeff

Do you have the screenshot results of the test I provided above?

Also, regarding the inability to review the installation sign-off and damages - you are absolutely never obligated to sign anything for anyone you are never sure of. If you suspected there was damage from the installation, we would hope you discussed this with the installer before signing off and if you found damage after, reported it to either the installer's company or to our customer service department immediately.

Thanks
Amanda
jeff.fliesen

Alright GabeU to answer your question they steal your sanity!  And also they are stealing money when charging a premium price for a service that works less than ten percent of the time!  For over a week I have tried getting back on this web site to check this post and then this is all I ever get:

Tried downloading the new HughesNet Status Meter software (taking over a day) and this is what I get when I go to install it:

And then as for support from this web site I never even got an e-mail telling about any post to my posting but maybe HughesNet cut that off after I filed a complaint with the FCC.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
jeff.fliesen

As for doing test I have wasted days disconnected while HughesNet has tested never contacting me with any results of not just the test instructions you have shown above!  Did you even read my detailed diagnosis of where I feel the problem is?  My diagnosis backing this up is that not only is HughesNet service able to provide the speed that the service is supposed to be, but also even the HughesNet Status Meter software I try downloading is always corrupt!  Here as a Network Engineer I am losing work because I cannot get this LEAKING DATA service to work properly!  Even as a Technician I have worked on X.25 ATM Microwave network in the San Francisco Bay area that worked better than this even on the worse fog days.  Most of the time I cannot even get on to check e-mail and even when I do I get broken graphics icon.  The service is so degraded that forget loading Skype or Facetime and as for even watching YouTube videos I cannot even get them to play at 240p!

As for the 2nd posting I did on Facebook, I thought this was lost in limbo as I never got any reply e-mails and when I tried logging in all I got was this:

My only other time I have ever seen this happen is when a fiber network was so degraded, because when they where splicing they didn't polish the ends properly.

If you really want to help please contact me, as HughesNet should have my contact information such as e-mail & phone number as not only do I need this to work properly so that I can do my network drawings but then also so that I am able to deposit the checks from that work into my bank account through the Internet.  As my only other option is that I am waiting for a reply back from "Suddenlink Communications" as to put service in this area, as I went to there office today as they are installing the infrastructure in an area like two miles from here.
jeff.fliesen

As for the test result when clicking on the graphic https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1510249/RackMultipart20161115-103825-1olxpf2-H53284_..., the 1st time it took like 10 minutes before it came up then after that when I did it the page comes up right away.

As for the instructions they show using the new HughesNet Status Meter software and every time I down that this is what I get:

And then my only other option is this:

How can I check anything when all the Data disappears in the first 6 days with not even doing anything and only opening my browser to check the Data Allowance Status for those first 6 days when it is renewed.  Then with that being the only Web page open I can sit here watching no action on my three Network Meters for the three network connections I have, in the mean time Data Allowance Bytes drop 1/10th GB at a time with one network connection only flicker only double digit kB/s just when the Web page refreshes.
jeff.fliesen

Tried that and this is what I get:
jeff.fliesen

Stacey Watkins it's not stealing data, it's loss of data as that data that's corrupt or in most cases has to be re-transmitted with the HughesNet modem deducting on both corrupt & re-transmitted data.  The first month was the worst with having to reset the modem at least ten or more times a day plus the fact I could of warmed up a frozen burrito on it as it was getting so hot!  Don't know if they upgraded the software on it, but it no longer gets that hot and only have to reset like once a day and not even every day.  Also have noticed that Web pages are only taking like 30 seconds to load now where before they would take like 5 minutes.
jeff.fliesen

OK so 2 weeks since I replied and no response back from HughesNet plus I never got their reply to the FCC complaint I filed and here I am having to deal with horrible degraded service with no fix in sight!  Not only that but I wasn't able to log back into "Get Satisfaction community" for over a week until today when I finally got verify e-mails, three of them from last week that were not there until today.

Then here are just some of  the new errors I get, Account Login:

Bad Gateway "Get Satisfaction community":

Bad Response From Server, HughesNet Login:

Frontier Login (trying to pay old bill):

IMDB page only able to load basic html:

Page not found, HughesNet "Get Satisfaction community" login:

Snap, another attempt at Frontier (trying to pay old bill):

These are just of few of the constant problems I have with no fix in sight!
maratsade

I never got their reply to the FCC complaint I filed
That usually takes 30 days.
GabeU

jeff,

If you were using one of the emails you got a week late for trying to verify your email, it won't work.  They are time sensitive. 

Have you tried logging in again to get the email sent again?  Hopefully it will send it immediately this time and you can then verify the email and log on correctly. 

jeff.fliesen

Yes that's how I was able to log in now to have left comment.  I got one e-mail from trying to login on Monday and along with 4 from attempts last week all on Monday, so why where they not there on Sunday and why didn't I get blocked all the other times from getting on the "Get Satisfaction community" Web site only just since I filed complaint with FCC or is this because of the horrible degraded service?

Also in the past month I have seen what was an average Download speed of 56 kB/s & Upload speed of 16 kB/s, degrade down to Download speed of 25 kB/s & Upload speed of 3 kB/s.  I thought that before it might have been caused by the high winds & cold weather, but all that couldn't hold true as it's even worse now with the weather better.  Here is a constant problem I get all the time when trying to look at e-mails and this one was after waiting two hours in the middle of the night just for the page to come up:

About 90% of the time I am not even able to see the graphics as all I get is a broken graphic icon, but this time I waited two hours to see what the sale items where and then as I scrolled down this is what happens.