Constantly have to reboot modem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmollinet
Sophomore

Constantly have to reboot modem

I just had my HughesNet HT1000 modem replaced this week with a new HT1100 modem.  Since then I keep losing my internet connection and have to reboot the modem by unplugging it and plugging it back in order to regain connectivity.  Often 2 or 3 times a day. An enormous pain in the neck. This is in a vacation home so we are not always there, but we still occasionaly remotely access things in the home through the internet when we are away, such as our thermostats and security cameras.  The connectivity problem happens randomly when we are there at the house and also at other times when we are not there (we know because our security system sends a message saying it has lost broadband connection). It isn't due to weather.

We had this same problem a year or so ago with the HT1000 modem and an Apple Airport Extreme wireless router.  We never determined the source of the problem even after multiple lengthy tech support calls with both HughesNet support and Apple support.  HughesNet tech support would blame Apple's router and Apple's tech support would blame HughesNet's modem.  Extremely frustrating as a customer stuck in the middle wasting hours on support calls trying to find an answer.  It was never resolved.  We did eventually update to the latest Apple Airport Extreme wireless router and that partially solved the problem. It still would happen about once every weekend when we were at the house, but that was more tolerable than 2 or 3 times every day.  Thankfully it never happened again when we were away from the house accessing systems remotely.  

But now with the new HT1100 modem installed this week, we are right back where we were before with the same problem.  Our Apple Airport Extreme wireless router is the latest version and only about 1 year old.  The HughesNet modem is brand new this week.  They are connected in exactly the same way they were before.  All devices connected to the router are exactly the same as before.  What is going on? We need reliable internet connectivity and it is maddening having to constantly reboot the modem several times a day.  If we are away from the home obviously there is no way to do that, so we lose all remote connectivity for days or weeks until we are there again.  I am reluctant to even try calling tech support for fear we are going to go through the same issue again with HughesNet blaming Apple's router and Apple blaming HughesNet's modem.  Not to mention hours of my time wasted on calls with people I can barely understand who take forever repeating everything I say and clearly have very limited technical expertise and are just reading from protocol troubleshooting scripts.  Please help.
16 REPLIES 16