Continually Losing Connection

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
O_Malley
Freshman

Continually Losing Connection

Hello:  I am continually losing my internet connection.  It may work great for several days without a problem.  Then I have a day like today, I worked for a couple hours then started frequently loosing the connection.   The connection is lost from 20 to 55 seconds, time between lost connections may be short as a mouse click.  I'll loose the connection without respect to the weather.....with exception to snow,  I have cleared snow from the dish a few times.

The problem remains the same if connected to Wi-Fi or a Cat5 connected directly to the modem.

Thanks for your help!

Tom

13 REPLIES 13
MarkJFine
Professor

Don't take this the wrong way, but: Where are you that you're clearing snow from your dish in July?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@MarkJFine

Higher elevations in western canada may see some snowfall this time of year... Unlikely anyone lives in those areas, and if they do, unlikely they are direct Hughes customers...

@O_Malley

Weather at both your location, and the location of your gateway can impact your service.  Your gateway is usually located in one of many places in the western half of the USA.

Mark and Corrosive:

Sorry for misleading you.  The snow comment should not have been included or at least prefaced: The only weather related problem I have experienced is snow.  Last winter I cleared snow from the dish a few times.

Located in Red Feather Lakes Colorado

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@O_Malley

Like mentioned by Corrosive, it's very likely that the short loss of connection you've experienced is due to inclement weather at your gateway.  All gateways are located in the Western half of the country, but a customer's gateway is never located in their own state.  There has to be at least a certain distance between the home location and the gateway it uses.   Knowing where you gateway is can be beneficial when you have an issue such as this, as you can look at the weather at that location to see if that could be the cause.  

There are two ways you can find out where your gateway is... 

First, I can tell you where it is if you can tell me what it says for your Satellite Name and Beam ID in the Satellite box on the following System Control Center page...

http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/information

The second way is shown on the following page (it's Corrosive's personal site):  https://chucksbasix.com/2017/10/06/how-to-find-your-hughesnet-gateway/#more-189

Of note:  The page on Corrosive's site can take a bit of time to load, but hang in there, it will load.    

Amanda

Hello O_Malley,

Welcome to our community! I was able to research your account a bit and did not see any recent issues for your particular beam or gateway. I will need to research your equipment logs for any causes of the intermittent connection, so if at all possible please do not power off your HughesNet equipment for the evening.

Thank you,

Amanda

Good Morning Amanda:

Thank you for looking into the problem.  I did not power off the HughesNet equipment last evening and will leave everything on today.

Best!

Hi O_Malley,

Thank you for your patience. I reviewed the data recorded, however I do not see any anomalies that would cause the issue you are experiencing. I do have a concern about the connected d-link router, I don't recall if I saw that before... are you connecting to that router wirelessly? Since the wireless radios are enabled on your HughesNet modem, I suspect some possible interference.

~Amanda

Hi Amanda,

I appreciate your response.  The complete system from the HughesNet dish to the computer is hard wired.  This is what I have in place:

• Coax cable runs from the HughesNet dish and is connected to a d-link2394-5GHz located in the basement mechanical room,
  • Then a Cat5 cable runs from the d-link2394-5GHz to a d-link2394 located in the loft on the second floor,
  • Then from the d-link2394 a Cat5 cable connects to the computer.

Our cell phones are connected wirelessly to the d-link2394.

Should the wireless radios on the d-link2394-5GHz be disabled?

Thanks!

GabeU

@O_Malley

Where is the HughesNet modem?  

I will double check this weekend. I thought the d-link2394-5GHz was the HughesNet modem. Thanks GabeU
GabeU

@O_Malley wrote:
I will double check this weekend. I thought the d-link2394-5GHz was the HughesNet modem. Thanks GabeU

I figured that might be where it was.  Strange that it shows that name.  

Anyway, sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.  I was just curious.  

I verified the equipment and this is what I have in place:

• Coax cable runs from the HughesNet dish and is connected to a HughesNet HT2000W located in the basement mechanical room,
  • Then a Cat5 cable runs from the HughesNet HT2000W to a D-Link DIR-868L located in the loft on the second floor,
  • Then from the D-Link DIR-868L a Cat5 cable connects to the computer.

Thanks!

Amanda

Tom,

Based on what you've described, it is possible that your cellphones and other wireless devices are getting confused with the two sets of wireless signals coming from the D-Link and the HughesNet Wi-Fi modem. There is also a Hopper 2 that is connected to the HughesNet modem wirelessly, but since the modem is in the basement, I am concerned that the signal may not be very consistent. 

My first recommendation is to disable both the radios on the HughesNet modem. Here are the instructions on how to do that: http://support.hughesnet.com/sites/support.hughesnet.com/files/inline-files/1041318-0001_d.pdf

Please let me know if you notice any improvements after turning them off.

Thanks,

Amanda