Continuous loss of internet and phone service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thetired179
New Poster

Continuous loss of internet and phone service

Let me start by saying Hughes net is my only choice for internet service so I can't just pack up and go to a different provider.
I have had both phone and internet service since November of last year. I understood that being satillite services that there may be some delay, occasional outages due to weather conditions or objects obstructing the signal on my dish. No big deal.
Then came this COVID mess and my children were forced to do online learning. It was impossible for them to complete any online assignments other than occasionally being able to upload an assignment into their Google classroom account. We had to switch to weekly paper assignment pick up because of this issue. On top of that our data was sucked dry in a matter of 5 days!
On to phone service. It is important to have a working phone at the house since no cell provider comes in at our home. Absolutely ZERO service. With my kids being home and both of us working they need a phone in case of an emergency. As with internet I expect outages during bad weather. However on sunny, cloudless days there is absolutely no reason to lose service for hours on end. There is also no reason to have calls drop 4-5 times in a 10 minute phone call on a clear day or night.
I am beyond fed up and no tech support has helped me so far. I just keep getting a run around. I NEED RELIABLE SERVICE.
11 REPLIES 11
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"On top of that our data was sucked dry in a matter of 5 days!"

You may need to calculate how much available data you have per day for your family. If you have the 50GB package, then your family can use 1.6GB per day (divided among each member of the family, the figure is smaller). With smaller packages, less data is available daily. Because the data is limited, it can easily be used quickly, and you may need to budget the data allowance for your family members so you don't run out (though you can buy data tokens too, but this can get expensive).

Another problem comes from having too many devices hooked up to the system. That eats data and slows down the system. 

You say you have continuous loss of internet. When this happens, you may want to check your System Control Center to see what the number next to State Code is. That number will tell you if there's a problem. 

I suggest you wait for the official HughesNet corporate reps on this site to run remote diagnostics for your site. They're here M-F during business hours.

thetired179 wrote:
Let me start by saying Hughes net is my only choice for internet service so I can't just pack up and go to a different provider.
I have had both phone and internet service since November of last year. I understood that being satillite services that there may be some delay, occasional outages due to weather conditions or objects obstructing the signal on my dish. No big deal.
Then came this COVID mess and my children were forced to do online learning. It was impossible for them to complete any online assignments other than occasionally being able to upload an assignment into their Google classroom account. We had to switch to weekly paper assignment pick up because of this issue. On top of that our data was sucked dry in a matter of 5 days!
On to phone service. It is important to have a working phone at the house since no cell provider comes in at our home. Absolutely ZERO service. With my kids being home and both of us working they need a phone in case of an emergency. As with internet I expect outages during bad weather. However on sunny, cloudless days there is absolutely no reason to lose service for hours on end. There is also no reason to have calls drop 4-5 times in a 10 minute phone call on a clear day or night.
I am beyond fed up and no tech support has helped me so far. I just keep getting a run around. I NEED RELIABLE SERVICE.

As for the extremely quick loss off data, we disconnected everything except for the two Chromebooks that were used for our kids to attempt to do their school work on. During that time that is all that the data was used for. And the kids couldn't even effectively complete their work at "full operational speed".
The continuous loss of internet and phone has also been brought up several times. The techs do checks on the system and cannot find any reason for our issues. I'm frustrated to say the least. If I'm going to have to pay $160/month for service I expect it to at least work 90% of the time.
GabeU

@thetired179 

It's possible the one or both of the Chromebooks were performing more activities than you were aware of.  The Cloud?  An update failure loop?  Weak WiFi connection causing dropped data packets?  Anything's possible.

Also, are you sure that the Chromebooks were the only two things still connected?  You can see what is currently connected, and what was connected, but is no longer, since the last time the modem was powered on the this modem page.  Satellite TV receivers that are connected to HughesNet have been known to use large amounts of data.  This is especially the case with DirecTV receivers.  If you have one connected to your HughesNet service, you may want to consider disconnecting it.  

The only sure way to know how much data each device is using is to use a 3rd party router that has the capability of showing this.  As for knowing just what programs, apps or processes are using data on any particular device, and how much they're using, you can either utilize the built in app for monitoring such, or if they don't have that, or an app that you can download for that purpose, such as Glasswire for Windows or Android based devices.  Glasswire is free and works well, but only for those two operating systems. 

I'm sure a rep will reply concerning the other issues.

Both Chromebooks are set up to not allow automatic updates of any programs and also are password protected so the only activities that can be done on them are their homework websites. Our WiFi has never been full strength. Even directly next to the router.
As for any other devices connected yes I am sure. We had nothing else connected. We do have Dish not DirecTV and it is not hooked into our Hughes net service. We have a robot vacuum but it was also disconnected during this time period.

Hi thetired179, 

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! Thank you for posting, we can certainly address your concerns. 

Please let me know if the "iBoss" extension is installed on those Chromebooks. Here's how to check:

Open Chrome

At the top right, click “More” > “More”> and then “More Tools”

Click on “Extensions”

Looking forward to hearing back.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

No. It is not installed on either of the Chromebooks.

Thank you for the confirmation, thetired179. The diagnostics on the HughesNet equipment show everything working normally. I'm concerned about these long periods of no connectivity.

Does this happen even on a device directly connected to the HughesNet modem via LAN cable?

Does this tend to happen at a certain time of day?

If this happens again and there's no connectivity, please check if this is true for a device wired directly to the modem.

Then go to www.systemcontrolcenter.com, which is a status page in the HughesNet modem.

Check the System Status on the top and click it. The System Status page will show you a State Code comprised of three numbers separated by periods, e.g. 0.0.0.

The State Code may tell us what's going on with your equipment in a period of no connectivity, so please let me know what state code you see if you experience a moment of no connectivity.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

GabeU

@thetired179 

Regarding the relatively quick exhaustion of your monthly allotment of high speed data, the following two threads may help.  They were written a few years back, but much of the information and many of the suggestions still apply.

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HughesNet-Data-Management-Tips-n-Tricks-How-To-Elimi...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Understanding-data-usage-data-loss-and-connection-pa...

thetired179
New Poster

We have no devices connected by LAN as we have no desktop computer or laptops and just got the Chromebooks shortly before the shutdown of everything. All devices we use strictly run off of the wifi except for the voice service. Due to the placement of the modem it is pretty much impossible to hook any devices to it even if we wanted to.

OK, gotcha. So in addition to looking out for the state code if connectivity drops, please check if this is consistent across multiple devices. 

At your convenience, it would also be helpful to see whether this drop in connectivty is seen even if only one device is connected to the network.

-Liz

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

-Liz