Hughesnet Community

Continuously buffering slow speeds, .78 then 1.08 never anything faster,,, promise 25 mpg and receiv

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rhubenthal

Continuously buffering slow speeds, .78 then 1.08 never anything faster,,, promise 25 mpg and receiv

Need the 25 to stream movies from the internet! You tube continues to buffer! Call center said to wait 24 to 48 hours to update the newly installed modem !
What the heck it’s brand new and just installed, will call the Philippines again !
3 REPLIES 3
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

They were right -- it can take the modem a couple of days to update itself when it's newly installed. 

Before they can address your speed concerns,  the Hughesnet staff on this site will need you to follow a specific protocol, which is outlined here:  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

Plus, 0.7~1Mbps is plenty sufficient for YouTube videos*. Speed isn't the issue, latency is. It's buffering because it takes a around a half second to handshake with the server, because... satellite.

*Edit: in 320p.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Amanda

Hello,

We're closing this thread since we never got a reply from you. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include the results for speed tests (using the instructions posted here by @maratsade) so we can more effectively help you.

Thank you,

Amanda