Correct EchoStar 19 Beam # For Northern California

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AngryCockroach
Freshman

Correct EchoStar 19 Beam # For Northern California

I am just south of San Jose California. My HT2000w is configured for Beam 54; its footprint is not anywhere near norther California. Using SatBeams>Footprint, I see that this beam covers the southeast US. Using SatBeams again, I see that Beam 27's footprint covers northern California.

• Am I correct?
  • Can you provide me with an sbc.cfg/sbc.bin to point me to beam 27?

I'm trying to solve the "Evening Slowness" problem - downloads at 0.27Mbps.

If switching to the correct beam, according to SatBeams, is NOT the way to solve this problem, PPLLEEAASSEE PROVIDE ME WITH A FIX.

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@AngryCockroach

SatBeam's ES19 footprints are incorrect.  They are based on the ES17 and have not yet been updated to reflect the correct beam layout for the ES19.  

The beam you are on is the one your are supposed to be on.  

Regarding your speed issues, first make sure that you are not out of data and in FAP.  If you are not out of data and in FAP, you should perform some speed tests to get the ball rolling so the reps can assist you.  Your speed issues may not be related to the other speed issues you are seeing, so it's important to run the tests to receive help.   

If you do not already have an account set up at http://testmy.net/ you should set one up and run the tests while signed in to that account.  You should run the tests on a single device that is connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable (NO WiFi).  It's also a good idea to disable your WiFi while running the tests so that nothing can be sapping your bandwidth at the same time they are run.  If you do not know how to do so, a link to a PDF with instructions is below.  You should run a batch of three to five download tests using the manual 25MB test size, and make sure to space the tests at least five minutes apart.  If you are able, you should run a batch of tests at a few different times of the day, preferably in the morning, afternoon and evening.  With that said, they do understand that not everyone is able to do this, so if you cannot, please just try to get a batch of tests in when you can, but most importantly would be on in the evening, when you experience the slowdown, and one at some other time, when you normally don't.  

Once you have gotten some tests in, please copy and paste your testmy.com Results Page URL into a reply on here so your tests can be looked at.

Edit:  Here is a link to a PDF with instructions on disabling the WiFi in the HT2000W.  The section you want to focus on is "How do I manage my built in Wi-Fi modem?"  

http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Documents/1041318-0001_a.pdf 

The following macro contains many of the particulars I just laid out, but I like to preface this macro with those particulars to be sure they're fully understood.  

To help the Hughesnet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, you should create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 25MB size download test file 

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

gokartergo24
Tutor

Since you are just south of San Jose.. You are in Beam 54..  I cover this area.  I am positive it is 54.