Hughesnet Community

Could We Please Get An Explnation Of What Is Wrong?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ecoalex2
Tutor

Could we also get an estimate of how many more months we will have degraded service?

It's been over a month since the announcement/ opology for poor service, and the 3 Gb token gift.

It's been 3+ months since the service slowed on Beam 55 . How long does the announced reallocation take? Is this the root problem?

The new normal is under 500 Mbs Dwn , and occasionally an unusable service some evenings, especially for viewing streaming video.

Regards.

Upside Down Cat.png

29 REPLIES 29
ml520
Junior

They won't do anything...at least that's what they've told me. I'm convinced now that their solution lies in the hope that enough people will cancel their service to relieve the overload on the network. But are they still signing people up? The whole situation is one of the worst customer service experiences I've ever had...which is unfortuate because my inital experience with Hughes for serveral years prior to Gen 5 was and excellent one. I can't quite figure out what happened to them.

I hope you're wrong. I also remember great support from the Mods, they seem to be overwhelmed, as the techs appear to be. If it is a satellite problem, we will have to wait for years for a new satellite to replace the damaged one, I hope this is not the case. Something is seriously wrong, as we should of seen an improvement by now.If it is a ground problem, it should of been fixed by now I would think..

The satellite was supposed to be high capasity. If over sales of some beams is the problem, Hughes should stop selling to those beams.A statement from Hughes for the beams affected would be appreciated.

@ecoalex2

I know for a fact they are still selling services on beam 55 and the available plans are still "advertised" as being  "Up to 25 Mbps Download / 3 Mbps Upload Speed".  However, the number of available plans has been reduced to two (10GB & 20GB). 

If the problem is out of HN's control, it is my opinion they would have 'fessed up already to relieve some of the anger from the users.  Since they haven't explained the issue or what they are doing to resolve the issue, IMO it is likely the problem is as a result of HN's actions.  If the problem is caused by issues at the gateway/ground stations, I would think the problem would have been resolved by now by increasing infrastructure capacity. 

It's possible HN has either oversold the beam capacity or oversold the ground infrastructure capacity.  Either way, HN did it to themselves (or they would be more transparent).

I'v heard HN is offering to move some users to Echostar 17, beam 19, which makes me think the beam 55 is over sold. I guess the problem could still be ground infrastructure given ES17/beam 19 uses a different physical gateway.

Regards,

EdV

Location: Placerville, CA|Gen5 Beam:55|Gateway:GIL|Router:ASUS AC68U

Same situation here in the Eastern Sierra of California on Beam 55.

We had better dialup service 15 years ago.

This is disgraceful and fraud.

Everytime we see a Hughesnet ad for 25 and no hard limits; we cringe.

Only choice is to cancel.

Gen 5 description -

EchoStar XIX, the world’s highest-capacity broadband satellite, as well as EchoStar XVII currently in orbit.

Well it appears they maxed out the bird.

@ecoalex2 wrote:

I hope you're wrong. I also remember great support from the Mods, they seem to be overwhelmed, as the techs appear to be. If it is a satellite problem, we will have to wait for years for a new satellite to replace the damaged one, I hope this is not the case. Something is seriously wrong, as we should of seen an improvement by now.If it is a ground problem, it should of been fixed by now I would think..

The satellite was supposed to be high capasity. If over sales of some beams is the problem, Hughes should stop selling to those beams.A statement from Hughes for the beams affected would be appreciated.

As far as I'm concerned, I have been offered zero support by the mods or anyone associated with Hughes. The only thing I've gotten is some discounts on my bill and repeated pleas for patience. The complaint that I filed with the agency that oversees this kind of stuff simply resulted in a call from Hughes HQ telling me to contact tech support and run more tests....which is pretty much what everyone who comes on here and complains about slow service is asked to do ad nauseum, despite there being a clear problem on Hughes' end. Liz PM'd me a few days ago to tell me "Thank you for your patience while your case was investigated. Engineering has no plans for adjustments or other work on your beam, I'm sorry. I understand this isn't news you want to hear and how frustrating this is." She then goes on to explain how I can call Hughes and cancel if this isn't to my liking. Bear in mind I have been waiting almost four months since my initial complaint, only to finally be told to go screw myself. Kind of what I expected would happen, but totally unacceptable. My belief is that there is no "engineering" division which is doing anything. Hughes is just waiting out the storm while some upset users cancel, others just grin and bear it, and new users continue to be signed up. If they do this long enough eventually it will all balance itself out with a set of users who are OK with mediocre service. If I'm wrong, I would be happy to get set straight by someone from Hughes, but so far they have offered only vague explanations of what's going on and what they plan to do about it. Speaking as an engineer, I know that no company with this many affected customers would continue to employ any engineers that couldn't resolve a situation like this (or at least offer an explanation of what's going on) in a matter of -- at most -- a few weeks. The broken record which says "engineering is working on it" is utter BS.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

All I can say is this...  The bird shouldn't be congested less than a lear into it's life cycle, though it is in some areas it sounds like.

I am willing to bet it's not the bird it self being congested, but the frequency spectrum that they are allowed to use... From my understanding, the Geo-Sat players can't use as much spectrum for things now because of LEO coming online very soon who have argued they need the same spectrum.

In essence, we are running out of radio frequencies to use on the planet, and different frequencies offer different amounts of bandwidth.

All of that aside, I have noticed that our trusty testmy.net isn't trusty anymore, still doing tests when I have time off work to see whats going on, however, it looks like something changed for the worse on testmy.net and its giving very bad results for no reason.

@C0RR0SIVE

Corrosive, that's an interesting idea about congested frequency spectrum. Nevertheless, that's a known, and it should have been predictable right from the start. I am totally untechnical on how marvels of engineering such as EchoStar 19 work. But it seems to me that all factors would have been known in advance — not only the bird's capacity but also the spectrum available to it.

Nothing makes sense to me other than greed on HughestNet's part and more demand for Gen5 than they anticipated (and which they unhesitatingly took advantage of). Please correct me where I'm wrong. But I think this is a business and management problem, not a technical problem.

@IntoTheWoods

IMO, radio communications is half science theory, half facts.  I am sure on ground testing showed exactly what they wanted, but real world tests tend to show different results...  This happens with pretty much everything sadly.

Jupiter II was actively being built, and tested as soon as Jupiter launched, I almost want to say at the time they had the ability to use such spectrum, as OneWeb is rather recent and I am pretty sure the spectrum issue is more recent, so this is potentially an unforseen problem that has occured.  Hopefully Jupiter III with more focused spotbeams on select regions can handle things better and they rework their ideas a bit...  I would think smaller tighter beams would help a good deal...  Instead of having signal A cover X/Y/Q that covers a third of a region, it covers a smaller area of that region (such as using it to cover just X which is half the size it was previously) so they can reuse it and keep flipping the polarity of said signal.  But as I said earlier, theories, wouldn't know for certain unless tested in real world applications.

@Installer - Ya know, we love seeing installers pop up from time to time to give input, as well as what's happening in the field...  Wish you didn't just use the "Installer" name as your name though.  Interesting to hear they are switching to .90 dishes, thought those had been reserved for SME customers?  Either case, it's no better signal wise nor does it really help with speeds IMO.

@C0RR0SIVEyou are wrong on both accounts.  The larger .90 antenna provides a higher Signal Quality Factor (SQF).  This SQF measures what we call the Downlink Energy of the Signal over the Noise (DL EsNo).  A higher SQF will provide a better quality signal.  Business Internet customers in the past have always recieved a .98 meter antenna.  This was becasue it provided a better SQF and allows Hughesnet to reserve different outroutes with more bandwidth becuase of this larger reflector.  That's why the Business Internet plans have much better speeds all around.  Now, we actually went down to the .90 meter antenna in California for all the Business Internet customers because it basically provides the same performance as the .98 antenna and its much lighter.  Hughesnet is now having us install the .90 antennas for ALL of our Consumer installs.  Eventually, when we get enough of these larger antennas in the beam, the overall efficiency will improve for EVERYONE.  We have even begun swapping some .74's for these .90 antennas.  There are also steps being taken as we speak to alleviate some of the traffic in the congested beams.  It won't happen overnight.  It's basically a sales issue that will be looked at very closely.  

So we on Beam 55 can call service for a .9 dish install at no charge to us?

Yes. One of our techs will come out and repoint your antenna and swap it.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

/shrugs/

.74 Vs. .98 right below, both are peaked out, they get the exact same performance overall.  SQF isn't much if any higher most of the time.

Residential .74Residential .74

Business .98Business .98

BTW, this is pretty much center of beam, with both units properly peaked out.  I haven't noticed any additional outroutes either between either system, nor have I noticed a performance increase between either unit at any time.

The only real benefit long term is if Hughes can somehow get more spectrum to use, and to load-balance users that can see both birds, between each one.  The larger dishes are probably for two reasons.  Overall cost/Logistics, as well as some beams having very low signal strength, such as 005.  Don't really care what anyone says, but, the .74 IMO has the same performance as the .98.  In theory it should be worse than the .98, but it really isn't in my experience.

There is a reason that SME accounts perform better.  The first is the larger antenna.  So if you think the .74 performs the same as the .90 or .98 you are lost.  Second, HNS reserves different outroutes that provide wider bandwidth for Business Internet customers.  So to say that the outroute doesn't make a difference is also wrong.  These are the reasons why we are transititioning in nearly half the country now to the .90 antenna.  There will be an improvement.  Think what you want.  The other main cause of beam overloads is Dish Network.  They continue to install for customer in urban areas thus clogging the arteries even more.  This issue will take a bit longer to resolve.  Once it is, with eveything else we are doing, all of these speed prolems will be gone.  It's that simple.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I think you are confusing Outroute ID with IPGW State...  I have seen both my terminals hit the same outroute ID on occasion, however, the SME IPGW always ends in "AD" which would be an SME only gateway address.

Today I got 45.9 Mbps down and 3.02 Mbps up on Beam 54 in San Jose, CA on an SME install with a .90 meter antenna. There is nothing wrong with the performance of the beams. HNS reserves specific outroutes for the Business Internet customers. The slow speed issues on the Consumer accounts is that there are simply too many of them on outroutes that don’t have as much bandwidth. The easiest way to explain it is to imagine 5,000 cars driving on a 1-lane Highway versus 500 cars driving on a 4-lane Highway. Which highway do you think will be moving faster? So this is why HNS has begun load balancing along with moving to the larger reflector. These are two things that help improve overall Beam efficiency. Eventually, HNS will get many of these “cars” off the highway that have no business being there.

So I have a question for you.

I have been dealing with these issues since June.

Here is my original post.

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/No-Return-Call-From-Tech-Support-or-anyone-Tired-of-...

So with all these issues and information I have posted since then, I have not had any relief since it has happened.

Would these fixes that you are talking about have fixed my issues long ago, or is this something not available in NC.

None of these things you mentioned have been offered, I have not had a tech out since they removed my satellite from a tree it was mounted on.

I am just curious as I have been one of the first to mention all these issues way back in June.

Thanks for any answers.

Thanks for the info, I am also on 55 and Liz told me that they are in the process of having the installers get ready to re-point customer dishes to the other satellite to help improve some of the issues. The larger antenna is interesting, not sure which one I have.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Installer

Do you think the "fixes" being done over time will also alleviate the slow speeds being seen on the ES19 on a much larger scale than just specific beams?   

My speed drops were gradual over the last three months, then about a week before Christmas it was like a switch, and my speeds dumped.  That wasn't gradual.  That was something that changed.  

With this said, my speeds are really wacky.  While my speeds show as 400Kbps at testmy.net, I have issues with watching a Youtube vid at 480p (buffering), but if I turn the VDS off I can watch Youtube vids in 1080p without issue, though it doesn't help watching them at 480p.  How much sense does that make?  LOL.  And a two minute vid in 1080p will be fully loaded by the time I'm 25 or 30 seconds into watching it.  At 400Kbps.  SMH.  Goofy.  

Within the next couple of days I'm going to try some online streaming through HBO Go, with the VDS off, when my speeds are really low like that.  I'm curious as to what will happen.  

My browsing is fine, though.  I'm don't stream, though I did sign up for HBO Go as I want to in the future, so I'm not really concerned with that at this point.  But, again, no problems with browsing.  Just as good as when my speeds were 47Mpbs.  

I'm having a similiar issue being that youtube is showing much lower speeds than what I'm actually getting. 

During non-fap i was averaging around 8-12 mbps and youtube would still be buffering with the Video Data Saver off at 360p. 

And currently im in FAP mode sitting at 1-2mbps and i can't load anything at all. When 1-2mbps should be plenty for 360p still. Im not sure if hughesnet throttle at all on specific sites, but the fact that my network activity on youtube sits at a constant 0kbps says something.