cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could my router be causing my slow speeds?

Freshman

Could my router be causing my slow speeds?

I am going back to the new farm today or tomorrow. I read in one of the threads here that QoS on some routers can cause massive slowdowns and other problems. Are there any other router settings I might want to tweak before giving up and replacing my router? My router is a three-year-old ASUS RT-N56U.
17 REPLIES 17
Freshman

Re: Could my router be causing my slow speeds?

Freshman

Freshman

Those are speed tests from the last time I was there.
Associate Professor

In the beginning with Gen4, I was having slow speeds, lack of response, and disconnects from Flash based sites that you log into.
Using WinMTR (I believe recommended by Charles), I learned that I was having a high incidence of packet losses.

My Desktop was (is) connected to a Linksys WRT 1900AC (a few feet away), which is connected to the modem across the house with about 30 feet of Cat 5E.

The router connects to the modem at 1Gb/sec, and I could not find anything to manage that speed (i.e., choose something slower).

However, I found that by reducing the speed of my PC's Ethernet to 100 Mbps, that the packet losses went away.

While experimenting, I tried replacing the cable with Cat 6 and Cat 7.  While this did affect the results, even with Cat 7 I still had unacceptable losses.

Freshman

Wi-Fi Network. Going to test direct to modem next visit.
Freshman

So running wireless isn't an option?
Assistant Professor

Just for testing. Need to direct connect to see the speed without the router. That way can tell whether or not the router is the issue.

I can't really say for your case.  My wife's laptop for awhile was set up with wireless, but the negotiated bit rate wasn't very good.  So I haven't experimented with that too much.

Your communication rate with the Internet is going to be the slowest of the various legs in your system.  What rate is your computer negotiating with your router?