Create a Hidden Network

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ckroether
New Poster

Create a Hidden Network

I want to make our home network 'hidden' so it does not broadcast its existence. How? Customer support says: "Our records indicate that our networks have to be visible for out customers to access the WiFi, but if you wish what you can do is turn off a certain network if you wanted. You can also change the name if you would like. You would have to access the following IP address which is 192.168.0.1 and you will get a HughesNet web page. Then you will need to Click on WiFi settings and your password will be admin . You will the have access to your WiFi settings. " I figured out how to get to the IP, but the password 'admin' does not work. I do not know what to do next and don't think customer support does either Thanks, Cyndi

Update:  I did as you said - I found out the password did not work because I was not connected directly to the modem.  -  Connected directly and followed instructions - my Surface 2, Amazon Fire and old laptop would connect but desktops would not.  Reconnected, changed back to broadcasting, same status (Surface 2, Amazon Fire & old laptop [running Windows 8, I think, or previous to that] all connect)  Desktops running Windows 10 do not.  By thw way, my Surface 2 is also running Windows 10.  Suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarkJFine
Professor

The person you spoke to has no idea what they're talking about because it wasn't on their script.

Here's how you do it:

1. Important: I would find a laptop that you can wire in with a lan cable in case things go bad.

2. Go to http://192.168.42.1 on the laptop and log into the wifi settings (unless that IP's changed on your setup).

3. Make sure you jot down your wifi info for DHCP, particulalrly:
 a. The wifi net name (whatever you have it set at - each band 2.4, 5, 2.4Guest, 5Guest will have different net names)

b. The subnet mask (usually 255.255.255.0)

c. Router IP: (usually 192.168.42.1 if the same as in #2)

4. In the Wifi Settings box:

a. click on 2.4GHz, then uncheck SSID Broadcast.

b. Repeat for the 2.4GHz Guest
  c. Repeat for the 5GHz
  d. Repeat for the 5GHz Guest
5. Double check everything on the 2.4/5GHz w/wo Guest tabs, then click Save Settings.
Voila... no one will be able to see your network on their list.

Edit: Oh... make sure you test it before you disconnect your wired laptop.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10