cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit for allowance

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Re: Credit for allowance

I remember when Jupiter 1 was a year out, doesn't seem that long ago now. A year goes pretty quickly especially the older you get. This is the about the time next year the new satellite will hopefully at least be in orbit and getting tested.

What it boils down to, is do we want people to share ideas or not?  Yes, there are pros and cons and I read them all in order to learn more about this company and how it works.  So far, I am not seeing a lot of support for the idea of just trying to make an idea appealing.  Maybe it isn't workable as is, but perhaps a tweak here and there could be just what is needed.  At least try Hughes.  That's what your customers are truly needing.  We don't need a company to come in and tell us the many things we can count on NOT having because we find ourselves strapped to dish service, we need positive attitudes toward ideas that just might improve your relations with your customers as well as your "investors".  Just my thoughts.  I am throwing out ideas as they come, and if they are dumb, I know from here that I can count on you guys to tell me...lol.  But, at least don't throw the baby out with the bath water each time you hear something that might ruffle the "investors" feathers, wait until the water has been tried and used in some agreed upon form, than you can throw out the water and keep the baby for heaven's sake.  O.K...I'm through.  Go ahead, lash me now...hehe
Assistant Professor

You should share ideas here and it is good you are doing it. I guess the thing is some of us who have been here awhile have fought the same battles and lost. We've pretty much accepted some things won't change no matter how much it is brought up and simply parrot the explanations we've been given in the past.

Maybe new blood raising the issue one more time will have results. We can all hope. I feel they could do the one month roll over thing without a major impact on the system. But what do I know?
Honorary Alumnus

Hi Cuddlebug ,
Ideas are good and I think market pressures have caused Hughes to make massive changes as what is available
I remember being on a 6000 system with 250 MB per day.
When Spaceway3 was launched it had much more than the combined capacity of the leased transponder space on about 10 non Hughes owned birds.
Echostar17 was vastly beyond that and Jupiter 2 is said to have capacity greater than that.
I read that Hughes has contracted with someone other than Ariane for the Jupiter 2 launch just speed up the schedule.
Right now middle America is stuck with the now antiquated Spaceway3 system and it's getting a little long in the tooth .
As to increasing capacity we have to keep in mind the investment costs. Echostar17 was said to be about 500 million dollars ( and a 15 year lifespan) and gateway facilities need to be built in addition to that.
These kinds of things take time to plan and built and debug.
It's just a lot more complex than just putting down a new fiber optic cable.

Hey thanks guys, I really thought I would get my lips ripped off for this board post...lol.  I know you all are trying to educate me, I just cannot understand a company that just rules out ideas that just might blossom into exactly what they need to gain the edge so to speak, just for weak reasons.  O.K...they tried in the past to carry over.  Well then, obviously that means it won't work now either right?  Wrong.  Maybe this idea would, and maybe not, but a good constructive way to get people to be willing to share any ideas here, is to consider what they are doing.  Let them ask you questions and you ask them questions, and see if it is a possible for Hughes to do or not, then let the mods take it to whomever they need to and present the ideas.  At least people would start coming to this board to share their thoughts.  If we, as the customers, can't take an active interest in others ideas (which just might benefit all including Hughes), they won't bother to come to this board.  Now, I see a lot of the same posting people here all the time.  They have wonderful things to share.  You guys are all very intelligent, but taking the attitude well, we just decided to let it go, they won't move on it anyway, makes us all sound like a bunch of Eeyores and parroting whatever we hear in the near and distant past doesn't make something fly, it makes the customers say forget it, I'll go to the problems board, at least I can read what's going on there.  See what I mean?
Honorary Alumnus

The really great thing about posting these types of topics here in the Community is that the forum mods are located in the Germantown MD headquarters and believe me these posts are read.

Brand new today to hughesnet. How much does it cost to buy tokens for more Gbs?

Good morning yogi115,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. Token prices are:

$5   - 500 MB 
$9   - 1 GB 
$16 - 2 GB 

Since you're new to satellite internet, here's some additional, important information about your monthly data allowance. To quote Alan Thompson, one of our community champs:
For your first 20 days or so, your data will reset every night. This is done as a courtesy to allow all your devices to update that may have not been connected to the Internet for a while. 

Here are things to check for unwanted data usage:
  • Make sure your computer is absolutely free of viruses and has good anti-virus software installed.
  • Make sure your router is locked down so neighbors can't get into it.
  • Some wireless routers may use data.
  • Many applications use data, even when you're not on the computer, including OS and application updates, cloud backup, file sharing programs, etc.
  • All of your devices may potentially use data if connected to your wireless router, including desktops, laptops, tablets, smart phones, Internet connected smart TVs and satellite receivers, and any Internet enabled appliances.
Install the free program, Glasswire, from Glasswire.com. It will help you see which programs on your computer are using data, how much and when. It will only monitor the computer on which it's installed.

Review other topics on this forum about data use for other things to check out.

The bonus data period is from 2 AM to 8 AM, and in your time zone.
This community is here to help, please don't hesitate to come back and start your own thread if you have additional concerns. We're happy to address them.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Hi Cuddlebug,

It has been a while since we've gotten a really good, implementable idea like this. We've discussed it in short and will be taking this to the higher ups for their thoughts on it. We'll let you know what happens!

Thanks,
Amanda

I think a roll over one month in every three "anytime allowance"  would be a fair compromise. Since refill dates are spread out among customers, this shouldn't put an unfair strain on any one one particular month. It might even encourage customers to scrimp on two months of usage to get ONE relaxed period to have added usage to catch up on wanted downloads, etc that otherwise might put them in FAP.