Current Network Time GMT?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bare65
Advanced Tutor

Current Network Time GMT?

I was browsing through the system control center and noticed that the Current Network Time is +8 hrs (which I'm guessing is GMT time zone) from my actual time here on the West Coast (PST)

I took this screen shot just a few minutes ago, at 8:40pm PST, with today being January 22nd (my actual time/date) but as you can see, the timestamp (cirecled in red) shows the time being some 8 hours ahead...

Untitled.png

Just curious as to why this is and why the 'local' time zones are not used?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Because that is the time that is saved in all diagnostics data... If every modem reported the actual local time, it would make it difficult for engineering to diagnose events through out the network.  So everything is in GMT, to make tracking hundreds of thousands of pieces of equipment and their logs easier.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Because that is the time that is saved in all diagnostics data... If every modem reported the actual local time, it would make it difficult for engineering to diagnose events through out the network.  So everything is in GMT, to make tracking hundreds of thousands of pieces of equipment and their logs easier.

Thanks @C0RR0SIVE

I learn something new every day 🙂