Hughesnet Community

Customer Base = Scamming Hughesnet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ericdanielle

Customer Base = Scamming Hughesnet

Well, this is a forum and forums are for open discussions right?  As the title indicates, what are your thoughts on Hughesnet's customer base actually trying to scam Hughesnet.

I have read through a lot of posts on the forum.  Not all, but a fair amount are from users of Hughesnet service expressing hatred with the service, and what appears to be ALL ending with "I want my money back" or "I can't pay for the Early Termination Fees" or "I need my fees waved".  Some users are given FREE data tokens, WHICH THEY USE, and still want refunds.  Overall I'm hearing and gathering the customer base saying "Give us service, but I don't want to pay.  I want to burn through as much data as I can, and in the end I want all my money back no matter how long I have used the service".  It truly is sad, and people should be ashamed of themselves.  You mix up your junk and bad behavior so that legit folks don't have a fair shake.  It says in the fine print that you will pay an ETF!  Tough $hit!  You signed up didn't ya.  You reached in your purse, wallet, jar, pillow case, and gave them your card, which is EQUAL to your signature.  Just because you didn't read extra information or didn't research prior to signing up, is not Hughesnet's problem.  "They didn't tell me..."  Bull!  They did too!  The agent on the phone didn't sit in silence!

Deep breathe...  🙂

I have always been told/taught to READ the fine print on everything, and do the research.  If then and only then you decide to give it a go, IT IS MY FAULT.  No one HELD A PERTICULAR WEAPON TO MY HEAD AND FORCED ME TO SIGN UP OR PURCHASE ANYTHING IN MY LIFE!  You have a choice.  It was the clearest of choices!  Sign up for Hughesnet or Don't.  As a consumer, and a citizen of the United States of America, you had a choice.  Hughesnet is not a monopoly.  There ARE other services out there, and you had the option of going with a different one, or researching a different service.  But you didn't.  You also CALLED them or placed an order online.  YOU DID!  Not hughesnet!  If you called them to order, the person on the other line just didn't say, "Give me your credit card, and good luck".  THEY EXPLAINED THINGS TO YOU, and it was up to you to listen, and ask questions if YOU don't understand.  They are a business, and if they can get someone to sign up without asking a single question, WOOT WOOT!  Gas stations would love it if you walked in handed them your credit card, and you said "CHARGE WHATEVER YOU WANT" and you walk out with nothing, don't fill up and drive off.  Kinda makes you look stupid doesn't it?  SAME HERE PEOPLE!

I'm glad that my service is above what I expected.  I am sorry for those that are legitimately experiencing trouble.  Just like buying a car, you will experience trouble at some point.  I just hope that if I experience problems, that two things will happen...

1.  Hughesnet will guide me through the issue as best as they can over the phone or via the forum, and send help out if it is feasible.

2.  My installer is nice enough that I can call them for assistance or input.  If I feel I need to.

I wish all the best to everyone!  I hope in the end I can help someone that is having a legitimate problem, I hope this forum never goes away, as it is VERY entertaining to read the complaints.

Eric

88 REPLIES 88
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I don't want to be on the list when Netflix subpoenas NightShift for their customer base. 
Gokartergo

Hughesnet lawyers have to cover there BUTTS.  That's all that is.  Nightshift has to use there routers and there USB..  Nightshift uses its own software so it not be transferred to any other user.
Gokartergo

Hughesnet lawyers have to cover there BUTTS.  That's all that is.  Nightshift has to use there routers and there USB..  Nightshift uses its own software so it not be transferred to any other user.
Gokartergo

Letter from Nightshift

Does the NightShift solution break copyright laws?

• Any cached files are stored in the their original format and protected by Netflix DRM; it does not tamper with Netflix DRM in any way
  • NightShift does not enable or make it easier for an end user to watch content from a different region. Netflix makes content available based on IP address and NightShift follows that.
  • Users cannot consume any of the content on NightShift without a valid and active Netflix subscription, internet connection (to login into Netflix and start the movie) and a supported Netflix player.
  • When consuming content from NightShift, the end user is still streaming video from their Netflix player like always.  NightShift simply provides a local cache that it is streamed from.

Does the NightShift solution violate any Netflix terms of service?

The terms of service state that: "You agree not to archive, download (other than through caching necessary for personal use), reproduce, distribute, modify, display, perform, publish, license, create derivative works from, offer for sale, or use (except as explicitly authorized in these Terms of Use) content and information contained on or obtained from or through the Netflix service."  NightShift simply caches the content for personal use within the home.; this does not violate the terms of service.

How does NightShift help Hughesnet customers?

NightShift allows Hughesnet customers to use their night-time bonus bytes to pre-load Netflix content onto a home router for personal viewing buffer-free the next day.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

"There" routers ?
do you mean "Their" routers ?
And who's routers are those ?
Hughes has no residential "routers"
They do have Modems and those are far from being routers.
Look at the suites that RIAA has brought against every day users.

If you want it go for it but don't blame your ISP or others for questionable judgement or actions.

And I am done with this topic.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

The "caching" Netflix is referring to is your browser cache or smart TV cache which dumps as soon as video ends with live streaming. Storing the cache for viewing later is another thing. Have a feeling the courts will decide what means what eventually.

Still no source where Netflix has any agreement with NightShift.
Gokartergo

I meant nightshifts router. They use ASUS routers.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

You mean an Asus router with third party firmware.
Gokartergo

Yes and no.. Nightshift sets up everything inside of the router also. They do add software to the USB.
MzLiz

Eric--You're still in the honeymoon phase of course you'll be overjoyed with the service..Eventually you will encounter a problem (either on Hughesnet end or your end), lets see how you'll be treated by " phone support" if you decide to call in..Of course on here you'll be treated fairly well by one of the Official Reps, it's a public forum for *all* to see..FYI installers that are contracted with Hughesnet don't offer advice to customers once the installation is completed--it's not their jobs to do so.

The only time a new customer should have their ETF waived is if they were misled by a sales rep whether intentionally or unintentionally and if the initial installation via the installer/tech wasn't properly done..It obviously happens more times than not since half of the posts here highlight those issues.

I feel there wouldn't be as many complaints posted here if Hughesnet properly addressed some of the main issues such as...

Misleading Sales Reps--Perhaps more training or "coaching" is needed, but I feel there should be a 3-strikes you're out rule if certain sales reps repeatedly make the same mistakes or bad decisions over and over again..It's their jobs to fully disclose the main details of the service but some are so anxious to make that "sell" they conveniently forget to do so..Asking questions and reading the fine print is great but when you have rouge sales reps that represent Hughesnet that's a problem, this also applies to some of the "phone support reps"..It's always a good idea for new customers (and old ones) to record their convos when speaking with Hughesnet sales reps or customer service reps..They do record each call that comes in, but I personally wouldn't rely on their recordings 100% for obvious reasons...Voice Recorders are great! 🙂

Bad Installations--Obviously if the installation isn't properly done the customer wouldn't be able to fully enjoy their service and it could be a potential hazard to the customer and their property if the wires/cables aren't properly grounded and if the dish itself isn't properly anchored...Perhaps more training is needed here also and stricter background checks and a stronger reprimanding on the part of Hughesnet since they're the ones that hire these installers in the first place...If an installer or service tech damages someone's property because of carelessness or poor training is Hughesnet liable to fix a customers property??..Guess I'll make a thread on that sooner or later.

Disappearing Data Drain & Extra Slow Speeds--No one seems to have any concrete answers as to why some customers are experiencing this--specifically the *official reps not the outsiders trying to look in..If data is constantly draining even when directly plugged into the modem, no devices are connected, router is secured, no streaming and even when the modem is unplugged data is still being used..And after 50-11 speed test and reboots are done the problem isn't solved or it's temporarily fixed after a customer is vocal about it, that's pretty odd..I haven't experienced this issue as a long time customer (knocks on wood) but if I were you better believe I would be extra vocal about it..Overloaded beams/gateways may be part of the issue, but it's something more beyond that and only the engineers themselves know the exact cause of it and I'm not expecting them to disclose that info since they're on the payroll as well as the official reps..However sugar coating and deflecting won't solve this issue, it obviously is a major issue for some customers and it shouldn't be overlooked or dismissed.

It's not a requirement for customers to be 100% well verse about the ins and outs of how satellite internet works (btw no one is 100% well versed in anything), *some knowledge and mainly common sense is needed it goes a long way..However it should be a requirement that all sales/customer service reps, installers/service techs maintain a level of professionalism, courtesy, honesty and respect toward customers at all times, but obviously that's lacking and it's not being fully addressed as it should be, since profit ($$$) over customer satisfaction is the name of the game.

Just my 2 cents.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

You have to use modified firmware on the router for it to cache Netflix... Pro-tip, the developers of PFSense and SQUID could easily cache netflix streams, but they chose not to due to the DMCA and potential copywrite lawsuits.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

eric,

I'm glad that you are vigilant in watching your data usage and that you are aware of the resets.  You're one step ahead of a lot of new users who expect it to just work for everything, including streaming practically nonstop.

I truly think that Hughesnet should have a one time lock screen for new users, sort of like the screen that pops up if the bill hasn't been paid.  It would be something that explains the importance of being cognizant of data usage and maybe even explain the initial daily resets, with the former being the most important aspect.  They would have to read it and "sign off" on it in order to begin using the service.  Then, with the implementation of this, there would never be the "I didn't know" scenario.

Personally, I watched my data from second one when I signed up in Nov of 2004.  I wanted to make sure I didn't go over my allowance.  I knew what "data" was, and knew what a "data limit" was.  I guess some people, even though they purchase a plan based on the amount of data it has, don't put two and two together and realize what a data limit is.

jezra and I don't see eye to eye on whether it's a scam or not, but I think we both agree that something needs to be done to make customers aware of the resets.  

With that said, like I mentioned, I think the more important part is to get customers to be aware how important it is to watch data, because even if the daily resets where made aware to every single customer who signed up, there would still be problems with people running out because they didn't watch what they were using.  But, in the end, that isn't Hughesnet's responsibility.  It's the customer's. 

Again, though, I'm glad you watch what you are using.  I wish more people did.         

GabeU

Five days may be the answer.  I think the most important aspect is making new customers aware of the resets.  Why this isn't done makes me wonder.  If they did this during the sales call disclosure, it would surely solve a lot of issues regarding this.  Getting people to actually listen to the disclosure, on the other hand, is somewhat of a trick.   
GabeU

So far I have been completely satisfied except for the one time we were out of power and our home phone didn't work because we had no internet service in the home.

This is the one reason I won't ditch my landline phone.  I know some people get Hughesnet Voice because they have no other option, but I also know that there are people who dump their landline service and go with Hughesnet Voice.  It's the latter that troubles me, because even though it's more expensive for a landline phone, the reliability of an internet based phone is zilch in comparison.  In my 26 years of having my own phone service, I've never had a phone line go down.  Not only that, but emergency services can find me.  With Hughesnet Voice, or even a cell phone, one better hope they give their address before they pass out in a health emergency.  Again, home phone lines are getting considerably more expensive as time goes on, but the peace of mind is worth it to me. 

Lab-Lover

GabeU, you don't live in a hurricane prone area do you!? Haha Kim
Lab-Lover

To this day, I don't know what "resets" are? I just "learned" the word yesterday when this topic started! I am assuming that HN resets your data every day for X amt of days to determine if you are paying for the correct usage level? See? I am not a computer tech, but I am savvy enough to figure things out. I can absolutely say, with no doubt, the word "reset" or an explanation of what it is was never given to me... At the sales pitch, or at the first time I was throttled and I just purchased the next higher package! Kim
GabeU

Lab-Lover,

You know how you have X amount of data for the month?  Well, during your first twenty days of service, that monthly amount resets every day, so whatever your monthly limit is can actually be used every day, and the next day it will be there again.  My monthly data limit for Anytime Bytes is 15GB.  If I was in the midst of those first twenty days, I could download 15GB today, and tomorrow my data would be full again, allowing me to download 15GB again.  It's the same with the Bonus Bytes, as well.  All data.  So, theoretically, I could download 65GB from 12:00AM to 11:59PM, and at 12:00AM the data would be full again. 

I only discovered the resets because on the second day my data usage said zero, and I know that I had used over 200MB the first day.  I used another amount, and on the third day I was back to full, at 15GB.  I came on here to ask if something was wrong with my Status Meter and was told about it.  Now, supposedly, they send out email to new customers to tell them about the resets.  But, who reads them?  So, even now, for most, if they don't watch their usage, the resets is something they will never know about. 

Also, if they don't watch their usage, it can cause problems with the monthly allowance seeming larger than it is.  With these resets, what you may do the first month you may not be able to do the second month.  Some find this unfair, as they believe it gives them a false amount of data the first month with which to see if they want to remain with Hughesnet.  I don't look at it this way, because if this were true, then their idea was to run the system until they ran out of data to determine how much they could use during a month, and nobody does this.  There are differing views on this.  I'm on the side of...watch your data usage.  If one runs out of data the second month because they were doing the same as the first month, that's a bad way of gauging data usage. 

GabeU

Nope, no hurricanes, but last night it rained pretty hard a few times, each time for about ten minutes, and all three times both my DirecTV and Hughesnet went out.  Just LOTS of snow here...Buffalo area.  I'm glad that my dish is on a pole instead of on a roof.  It's also right outside a back window.  I can open the window and tap the pole with a broom stick and all the snow falls off.  Lucky me.  LOL. 
Lab-Lover

Oh no way! I will take my sunny and hot days over snow! An occasional hurricane just makes things exciting!
Lab-Lover

So... What is the purpose of this? Why does HN do this? I thought it was to estimate if your data usage was correct?
GabeU

Kim,

The oft given reason for them doing this is to allow new customers to update their computers and/or devices to current and download any program(s) that they may need or want in such a way that it won't affect their normal monthly allowance.  They do it as a courtesy. 

Sometimes when people get the service they have a new computer, or even an older computer than hasn't been on the net for quite some time and they need sizeable updates to get them current, even doing something like upgrading to a new OS and such.  Sometimes adding new programs, as well.   

When I found out about the resets I definitely took advantage of them, updating some old game files and all three of my computers to Windows 10.  I downloaded a few other things, as well, like the newest version of Linux Mint.