cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer Base = Scamming Hughesnet

Highlighted

Re: Customer Base = Scamming Hughesnet

So... What is the purpose of this? Why does HN do this? I thought it was to estimate if your data usage was correct?
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Kim,

The oft given reason for them doing this is to allow new customers to update their computers and/or devices to current and download any program(s) that they may need or want in such a way that it won't affect their normal monthly allowance.  They do it as a courtesy. 

Sometimes when people get the service they have a new computer, or even an older computer than hasn't been on the net for quite some time and they need sizeable updates to get them current, even doing something like upgrading to a new OS and such.  Sometimes adding new programs, as well.   

When I found out about the resets I definitely took advantage of them, updating some old game files and all three of my computers to Windows 10.  I downloaded a few other things, as well, like the newest version of Linux Mint. 

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted

Eh, I grew up here, so the snow I'm used to.  In the seven years that I lived in VA I got to experience a small earthquake, the edge of Hurricane Dennis is 1999, and in 1998 I was privileged enough to be in a sheet metal made building, full of sheet metal supplies, in which a tornado tore out the back wall while we were all inside.  The first two were interesting, while the last thing wasn't very fun, as you can imagine.   

I'll stick with the snow, though I do miss VA very much.  LOL. 

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted

Snow to me is so foreign! I have only ever lived in FL! I watch in fascination as people drive thru it during winter!
Highlighted

Thanks! So, we are back to the beginning! HN doesn't notify you this is happening!? How do you take advantage!?
Highlighted

Well, I think that Hughesnet is assuming that people are watching their data, being that it's a capped service.   Watching it from day one to day two would immediately show somebody that something is up.

I, though, like many others, think that Hughesnet needs to be more proactive in notifying people of the resets.  It could easily be done in the disclosure that's read by the rep during the sales call.  They could do a lock screen that people would have to read and click on before using the service.  Something. 

I was of the understanding that there is now a notice sent in an email to new customers about the resets.  My parents got nothing of the sort.  Perhaps the info was wrong. 

Highlighted

I really like the Lock Screen Idea!
Highlighted

For someone that's not used to the snow it can be comical, but dangerous, too. 

In Nov 2014, over the course of three days, parts of the Buffalo area got seven feet.  It was interesting, to say the least.  LOL. 

Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

So, we are back to the beginning! HN doesn't notify you this is happening!? How do you take advantage!?

Interesting to say the least.

There are several avenues to purchase service through:

By phone direct to Hughes

Online direct to Hughes

Through a local dealer

Through Directv or Dish as resellers

Through VAR's such as Montana Satellite.

In the first two, I agree that Hughes SHOULD disclose the 10 or 20 day period.

Now lets look at the title of this thread Scamming.

A customer is going to choose among a number of plan offerings and those offerings are going to be priced according to the size of the data plan.

Therefor a user has to know  what they are buying and what they are entitled to.

Now when a user sees their allowance being refresh daily what do they do ?

Call Hughes and inquire ?

Not look a Gift Horse in the Mouth and download away ?

Post here in the Community.

Now who is scamming who ?

I'd say that the second action is more of a scam than Hughes failing to tell a user they have a short term "extra".

No good deed goes unpunished.

This "deed" has caused more trouble than its worth. Danged if you do, danged if you don't.

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

I know what I did when I first got Gen4 and it was resetting everyday, I asked about it here. Seemed strange since I knew it was now a monthly allowance instead of my old 7000s daily allowance.

Don't understand people who sign up for capped plans then don't monitor usage from the get go.