Hughesnet Community

Customer Base = Scamming Hughesnet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ericdanielle

Customer Base = Scamming Hughesnet

Well, this is a forum and forums are for open discussions right?  As the title indicates, what are your thoughts on Hughesnet's customer base actually trying to scam Hughesnet.

I have read through a lot of posts on the forum.  Not all, but a fair amount are from users of Hughesnet service expressing hatred with the service, and what appears to be ALL ending with "I want my money back" or "I can't pay for the Early Termination Fees" or "I need my fees waved".  Some users are given FREE data tokens, WHICH THEY USE, and still want refunds.  Overall I'm hearing and gathering the customer base saying "Give us service, but I don't want to pay.  I want to burn through as much data as I can, and in the end I want all my money back no matter how long I have used the service".  It truly is sad, and people should be ashamed of themselves.  You mix up your junk and bad behavior so that legit folks don't have a fair shake.  It says in the fine print that you will pay an ETF!  Tough $hit!  You signed up didn't ya.  You reached in your purse, wallet, jar, pillow case, and gave them your card, which is EQUAL to your signature.  Just because you didn't read extra information or didn't research prior to signing up, is not Hughesnet's problem.  "They didn't tell me..."  Bull!  They did too!  The agent on the phone didn't sit in silence!

Deep breathe...  🙂

I have always been told/taught to READ the fine print on everything, and do the research.  If then and only then you decide to give it a go, IT IS MY FAULT.  No one HELD A PERTICULAR WEAPON TO MY HEAD AND FORCED ME TO SIGN UP OR PURCHASE ANYTHING IN MY LIFE!  You have a choice.  It was the clearest of choices!  Sign up for Hughesnet or Don't.  As a consumer, and a citizen of the United States of America, you had a choice.  Hughesnet is not a monopoly.  There ARE other services out there, and you had the option of going with a different one, or researching a different service.  But you didn't.  You also CALLED them or placed an order online.  YOU DID!  Not hughesnet!  If you called them to order, the person on the other line just didn't say, "Give me your credit card, and good luck".  THEY EXPLAINED THINGS TO YOU, and it was up to you to listen, and ask questions if YOU don't understand.  They are a business, and if they can get someone to sign up without asking a single question, WOOT WOOT!  Gas stations would love it if you walked in handed them your credit card, and you said "CHARGE WHATEVER YOU WANT" and you walk out with nothing, don't fill up and drive off.  Kinda makes you look stupid doesn't it?  SAME HERE PEOPLE!

I'm glad that my service is above what I expected.  I am sorry for those that are legitimately experiencing trouble.  Just like buying a car, you will experience trouble at some point.  I just hope that if I experience problems, that two things will happen...

1.  Hughesnet will guide me through the issue as best as they can over the phone or via the forum, and send help out if it is feasible.

2.  My installer is nice enough that I can call them for assistance or input.  If I feel I need to.

I wish all the best to everyone!  I hope in the end I can help someone that is having a legitimate problem, I hope this forum never goes away, as it is VERY entertaining to read the complaints.

Eric

88 REPLIES 88
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I view having a capped service as a lot like being poor.

You can go "window Shopping" and gaze wistfully at all the "stuff" knowing you can buy some but not all.

Frugality is rule #1.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Rich,

When I recently called to have my parents connected the sales rep explained about the service in regard to streaming and game playing, noting that streaming should be done at lower levels of definition and even then, not a lot, and that any real time games wouldn't work with Hughesnet. 

I think it's sad that it's come to a point that the majority of the population just expects things to work.  So little research is done before someone buys a product or service that when they get that product or service, and it isn't what they expected it to be, they aren't very happy and blame it on the product. 

Communication about the resets definitely needs to be improved, but even if they began to disclose the resets during the sales calls, you know as well as I that there would still be people who would consider it a scam because they would believe having the resets would not be representative of a typical month.  Of course, watching data usage would make this excuse moot, but it would and will still happen. 

And, of course, it's virtually impossible for the sales reps to explain everything in a sales call.  They can only go over the most important aspects, and they do, with the customer choosing between plans based on the amount of data in those plans, and explaining that the data is divided between two time blocks.  You'd think that with that being said, people would want to watch their data, but evidently, that's not enough.  During my sales call, they even talked about downloading the Status Meter.  I don't know what else they could do, save for saying "It's important to watch your data," but a lot of people tune out the disclosure, anyway, and others wouldn't even know what that means.  The reps can only explain so much.   

But, again, they could, and should, at least tell people of the resets. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

The wife and I do some Netflix on the weekends, even when we had 10 and 15 GB plans. Thank goodness since it is how we discovered Peaky Blinders and other great shows.

Self-control is the operative when talking streaming over satellite.
GabeU

I view having a capped service as a lot like being poor.
How about government subsidized tokens?  Heh heh. 
Rich1
New Poster

I get it Birddog, but I think most people don't parse it that way.  Even If a sales rep says you can video stream in moderation, that means different things to different people.   In my case, I have a 10GB plan. If a sales rep said I could stream in moderation, I might think maybe an hour or two a day. That's pretty moderate, right? A typical person is not gong to think of a video compression/MB conversion ratio.    In my case, moderation really means I can watch 3 movies in standard definition a month.   Technically, I am streaming movies, but realistically who would think that is what streaming means? See what I mean?
I think the sales person should up front say it is not for streaming movies, but if you do, you can maybe watch 3 movies a month. Maybe the sales folks do say that and new customers don't hear it, I don't know.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I'm already drawing Social Security as well as two pensions and a part time job.
I feel I'm well "subsidized".

Hey, bring me another Beer while you are up will ya ? 🙂
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Rich, I've posted this before. With a 10 GB pan you could watch up to 30+ hours a month at 300 MB per hour.

Is up to the customer how they want to slice their data pie. Do less browsing and other things, watch more video, and vice versa.

If only able to watch 3 SD movies a month then you are eating a lot of your data doing other things. Again, a choice.
GabeU

I think the sales person should up front say it is not for streaming movies, but if you do, you can maybe watch 3 movies a month.

That could cause just as many problems, possibly even more, due to people taking that as concrete.  If they say you can watch in moderation, that isn't a concrete amount, and it means there are variations.  Hopefully that would be enough to get people to pay attention to their usage so they can see what that moderation means for them.

And they shouldn't say it isn't for streaming movies, because you can stream movies, but remember, in "moderation." 

The data amount given isn't Hughesnet's to watch or tell people what they can and can't do with it.  All they can do is give suggestions, like watching in "moderation," which again, you would think would cue people to "watch" what they are doing with their data.     

Rich1
New Poster

GabeU, From your post:

"When I recently called to have my parents connected the sales rep explained about the service in regard to streaming and game playing, noting that streaming should be done at lower levels of definition and even then, not a lot, and that any real time games wouldn't work with Hughesnet."

To me, that is misleading. Not a lot may mean 30+ hours/month  as Birddog has said, but it is my belief people don't think of "not a lot" that way.   Unfortunately you, Birddog, and others are up against millions of dollars in HBO, Amazon, Netflex advertising  showing people streaming seamlessly every night while eating popcorn and doing high fives.

I'm not disagreeing with either of you, I'm just saying parsing the definition of streaming to mean so many hours a month is a difficult way of explaining you are better off not planning your movie entertainment that way. 
GabeU

To me, that is misleading. Not a lot may mean 30+ hours/month  as Birddog has said, but it is my belief people don't think of "not a lot" that way. 

Not a lot has no concrete meaning.  It will mean something different to every person.  It's not misleading in any way, shape or form.  It's basically a warning, saying you can't stream nonstop and you need to watch your data when you do.  That's all it means.  Nothing more, nothing less. 

Unfortunately you, Birddog, and others are up against millions of dollars in HBO, Amazon, Netflex advertising  showing people streaming seamlessly every night while eating popcorn and doing high fives.

These ads have nothing to do with Hughesnet, and if someone buys Hughesnet because of one of these ads, that's on them for not doing their homework.

I'm not disagreeing with either of you, I'm just saying parsing the definition of streaming to mean so many hours a month is a difficult way of explaining you are better off not planning your movie entertainment that way.

Which is exactly why the term "moderation" gives no indication of specific amount.  Theoretically, you can watch 30+ hours of streaming at 300MB per hour, but the reps won't say this, because people will take it as concrete.  If the reps said this, people will start watching whatever on LD, then when they run out at 23.5 hours, they'll get ticked, saying "well they said I could watch 30 hours."  Everybody's system uses different amounts of data for different things, so while that 30 hours of viewing can be done, it's not for sure.  It's all relative. In "moderation" is simply a warning that data should be watched during streaming.  "In moderation" is the best term that can be used by someone explaining about streaming with Hughesnet.  Can you define "moderation" when it comes to streaming, whether in hours or data amount?  No.  Due to this, it means you have to be cognizant of the amount of data you are using.  Moderation gives zero concrete amount.  It only means that you can do it, but how much and how often will be different for each person. 

Moderation..."the quality of being moderate; restraint; avoidance of extremes or excesses; temperance."  Moderation is the perfect word. 

Rich1
New Poster

"These ads have nothing to do with Hughesnet, and if someone buys Hughesnet because of one of these ads, that's on them for not doing their homework."

Obviously HBO/netflix/amazon ads have nothing to do with Hughesnet, but they do have something to do with how the majority  of people understand the term "streaming".  I am not an Hughesnet customer because I want to stream movies, I am customer because I don't have any other option to browse the web.   I think that is probably the case for 99% of the HN customer base.  Maybe I'm wrong on that.  

That is why I think the  HN sales force would better served to be clear on this and not use terms "not a lot" or "moderation". .  Your parents had the benefit of your insight and advice on satellite, many others do not.

Let's face it, the majority of the Internet US customer base will not be looking at being frugal with Internet usage when everything is going online.  just my 02 cents.
GabeU

No, you are right on most people having Hughesnet because they have no other option.  No one chooses Hughesnet if cable or fiber is available.

That is why I think the  HN sales force would better served to be clear on this and not use terms "not a lot" or "moderation".

How would YOU be more clear?  I'd like to know.  Remember, you can't use a specific amount.  No numbers. 

Let's face it, the majority of the Internet US customer base will not be looking at being frugal with Internet usage when everything is going online.

Being that streaming is in no way a necessity and not at all important, if they want it that bad they can move.  That's the only often performed thing that can't be done with Hughesnet in the same way that it can with landline internet.  Streaming.  That's it, along with a few other much less used things.  Streaming isn't a right. 

Lastly, I'm not trying to be short or anything, but I truly am curious about how, if you were a sales rep, you would tell someone about Hughesnet and its streaming limitations.  Without being able to use concrete terms or actual numbers, it wouldn't be easy, but you can't do those things. 

Guy Sheble

I did everything right and new about the early term fee but I received no service on the internet or the phone. I could not get anyone that spoke very good English to help me and when I could under stand enough, I would have to talk outside on a cell since my cell does not work in my house. I requested a tech out and wanted to know how I in the first week used up my time yet it did not work at all, (I told the sales person of the medical equipment, alarm system, solar system and my Vonage phone that the sales guy told me would all work on the system). The Vonage does not work on it at all and I have to assume the other devices use the system time up, (10gb). I have tried to call for help, e-mailed for help, sent back the surveys with needing help. Our Vonage line is for Veterans to call 24/7 as a emergency when they are not doing good (PTSD etc.).

I was bumped up to more data when I had called the first month and figured we would try again. Of course the cancel time is only 30 days which when I am being told I used it up some how, then I figured I would give them another chance. This same thing happened every month for several months and then I had Comcast pull a new line in from down the street that was over $5,000.00.  I had a service contract with them to provide me service and they failed to do so; yet they are still trying to bill me a ETF for a service they could not get working.

They sent the bill to a third party collection agency to collect and today I asked them to cease-and-desist which the collection agency closed the account with them and sent it back to Hughes-net.  When I called customer service, again this is a person from the Philippines and it's not customer care its corporate care, she said she was not able to give me the corporate number out and did not even know who the CEO of Hughes-net was. I have always known who my bosses are and can not find the CEO's email number anywhere. I have the corporate number now and have only gotten the message that states to leave a message and they will contact me the next day. I still have not gotten a call despite calling everyday for a week.

I am not an IT guy but I really need service for my medical equipment and to call emergency services for me at all times. After having Comcast come in, I have had no problems with calls, internet and being able to communicate to anyone.

I just wanted internet that worked. I don't game, download movies, stream, or any of the things that most people do because I don't know how to use most of it.
GabeU

Guy,

First, it would be best to start a new post, and in that new post, do the following... 

If you provide either a case number from a prior phone call or the serial number located on a sticker on the back or bottom of your modem, the reps can use this info to locate your account and look into this for you. 

DO NOT post any other personal info, such as your account number (the one starting with DSS), phone number, email address, etc.  Only post either a case number from a prior phone call or the serial number from your modem, or both.

The reps are on here M-F from about 8:00AM or so to 5:00PM, so the earliest you would hear from them would be Monday. 

The reps on here are at the corporate level and they can help much more than the phone reps.

Guy Sheble

I want them to call, I want a call from the Executive Billing. Why don't they publish the number for me to contact them?
GabeU

If you want them to call, you will need to do what was asked.  They will need to be able to locate your account. 

But, I forgot to mention, it would be best to start a new post, then post the info requested above.  The reason for the new post is so the reps can focus solely on your issue and not get it confused with the many other posts on this thread. 

Rich1
New Poster

As a sales rep, I would just say "it's best for browsing the web,  I would not subscribe to  streaming services such as Netflix, HBO, or other streaming services because at best you will have limited use of those services.   If you want to stream a movie every now and then, say one movie a weekend or 4 or 5 movies a month on a 10 GB plan, that is probably going to fit the download usage based on just web browsing".  
Is that reasonable and clear?

I spend $130/mo for Dish Tv.  But if I could stream, then I could pretty much look at getting rid of the $130/mo I pay for TV.   So when you say  
"Being that streaming is in no way a necessity and not at all important, if they want it that bad they can move"It is really kind of  big deal.  I have many friends who have dropped cable TV or satellite TV to stream movies.  So it is a big deal if you are on a limited budget..  

That is my point, more services are being delivered via the Internet, whether it is entertainment, shopping, online banking, etc,..  Advertising in the US is understandably geared to this trend. Hughes net or any metered service has a strong current to swim against with frugality. Just goes with the terrioritory and I'm trying not to beatup on Hughesnet.  Hughesnet should just own it be straightforward is all in the sales of the service.  
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

As far as TV I do OTA (Antenna) and get 26 channels. Includes all the major broadcast stations, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX5, Public TV and a bunch of low power local stations with MeTV, NewsMax, Works, Grit, THIS, and AMGTV.

Probably at an advantage as elevated in the mountains with a pretty clear shot to all the transmissions towers, some 80 miles away. But all in the same direction. Some super new digital HD TV antennas that are small and really pickup weak signals. Plus I have an amplifier at the antennas.

Never had satellite TV, wouldn't know what to do with 100+ channels.
GabeU

As a sales rep, I would just say "it's best for browsing the web,  I would not subscribe to  streaming services such as Netflix, HBO, or other streaming services because at best you will have limited use of those services.

Saying you can stream in moderation is basically saying you have to be careful and would indicate that this is not what Hughesnet is mainly for.  Again, there are a number of people that subscribe to these services and watch films and TV shows, but again, in moderation, so is giving the opinion of not subscribing to one of those services really all that appropriate?  Moderation means restraint.  That, alone, says it all.  You can, but in moderation, or with restraint.

If you want to stream a movie every now and then, say one movie a weekend or 4 or 5 movies a month on a 10 GB plan, that is probably going to fit the download usage based on just web browsing".

Although that may sound good, that's a big no-no.  A rep CAN'T give recommendations like that.  That can cause a ton of trouble, and there are so many reason that something like that can be incorrect.  "You said I could watch four or five movies a month with a 10GB plan, but I was only able to watch just over two and a half before I ran out of data.  It turns out that other things used a lot of my data, too, but you never said that could happen.  It's your fault.  I want my money back."  The definitions of the films.  The lengths of the films.  The other things using data.  There're dozens of variables that can't all be included in a disclosure, so any mentions to numbers or amounts of anything can't be said.  So to round it up, they say in lower definitions, explaining why, and in moderation, or with restraint.    

That is my point, more services are being delivered via the Internet, whether it is entertainment, shopping, online banking, etc,..  Advertising in the US is understandably geared to this trend. Hughes net or any metered service has a strong current to swim against with frugality. Just goes with the terrioritory and I'm trying not to beatup on Hughesnet.  Hughesnet should just own it be straightforward is all in the sales of the service.

Hughesnet is as straightforward as they can be without going through a three hour spiel about what could be done, might not be able to be done, what could interfere with things, what might use data that may have been used elsewhere, and so on, and so on, and so on.  They can only give exact answers on things that can be exactly answered.   

Again, when someone buys a plan, they are choosing between data amounts.  Hughesnet, during the disclosure, can only give basic, broad recommendations.  The bottom line is that it is up to the consumer to learn what data is and how to best use that data.  Hughesnet only sells data, but it's up to the consumer to use that data how they want to.  Hughesnet discusses the twitch based games, because those can't be used with it due to the latency.  Hughesnet says that when streaming, it's best to do it in lower definitions, as it can consume a lot of data.  That right there should clue people into the fact that it will use a considerable amount of data and that they should pay attention to the data usage.  And, again, moderation means restraint, which means pay attention to the data usage.  If a consumer asks if they can stream, the answer would be yes, but with those recommendations.  Again, they can't give recommendations as to numbers of films or TV shows.

The best they can do, again, is to recommend streaming in lower definitions and why to do so, and to do it with restraint.   

GabeU

That is my point, more services are being delivered via the Internet, whether it is entertainment, shopping, online banking, etc,..  Advertising in the US is understandably geared to this trend.

I do all this and more.  The only part of the "entertainment" is that I don't stream.  I have regular OTA TV and DirecTV for that.  If there's a movie I want to watch that hasn't been released on HBO or something similar yet, I wait.  I almost always have more than 90% of my Bonus Bytes and 70% of my Anytime data left at the end of my service cycle. 

Perhaps it's just my age, but I will never understand how important streaming has become with people.  For some it's like air, and I simply don't get it.  I'd like to see the new Star Wars film.  I could stream it now.  It's on next month on Starz.  I'll wait.  It's not so important to me that I have to see it right now.  

GabeU

Never had satellite TV, wouldn't know what to do with 100+ channels.

I got satellite TV when I didn't work anymore.  If I still did, I probably wouldn't have it.  I'm not much of a book reader, and there's only so many NY Times and LA Times crosswords, so I like having a variety of TV to choose from.  LOL.  I didn't care much for what was on the OTA channels, save for a few things on PBS, and DirecTV gives me a lot of channels with decent programs, plus I like to watch movies now and again. 

Well, I might still have gotten DTV eventually, but my service package would be a much smaller one.  Probably very basic.