cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer Base = Scamming Hughesnet

Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Customer Base = Scamming Hughesnet

I think the sales person should up front say it is not for streaming movies, but if you do, you can maybe watch 3 movies a month.

That could cause just as many problems, possibly even more, due to people taking that as concrete.  If they say you can watch in moderation, that isn't a concrete amount, and it means there are variations.  Hopefully that would be enough to get people to pay attention to their usage so they can see what that moderation means for them.

And they shouldn't say it isn't for streaming movies, because you can stream movies, but remember, in "moderation." 

The data amount given isn't Hughesnet's to watch or tell people what they can and can't do with it.  All they can do is give suggestions, like watching in "moderation," which again, you would think would cue people to "watch" what they are doing with their data.     

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
New Poster

GabeU, From your post:

"When I recently called to have my parents connected the sales rep explained about the service in regard to streaming and game playing, noting that streaming should be done at lower levels of definition and even then, not a lot, and that any real time games wouldn't work with Hughesnet."

To me, that is misleading. Not a lot may mean 30+ hours/month  as Birddog has said, but it is my belief people don't think of "not a lot" that way.   Unfortunately you, Birddog, and others are up against millions of dollars in HBO, Amazon, Netflex advertising  showing people streaming seamlessly every night while eating popcorn and doing high fives.

I'm not disagreeing with either of you, I'm just saying parsing the definition of streaming to mean so many hours a month is a difficult way of explaining you are better off not planning your movie entertainment that way. 

To me, that is misleading. Not a lot may mean 30+ hours/month  as Birddog has said, but it is my belief people don't think of "not a lot" that way. 

Not a lot has no concrete meaning.  It will mean something different to every person.  It's not misleading in any way, shape or form.  It's basically a warning, saying you can't stream nonstop and you need to watch your data when you do.  That's all it means.  Nothing more, nothing less. 

Unfortunately you, Birddog, and others are up against millions of dollars in HBO, Amazon, Netflex advertising  showing people streaming seamlessly every night while eating popcorn and doing high fives.

These ads have nothing to do with Hughesnet, and if someone buys Hughesnet because of one of these ads, that's on them for not doing their homework.

I'm not disagreeing with either of you, I'm just saying parsing the definition of streaming to mean so many hours a month is a difficult way of explaining you are better off not planning your movie entertainment that way.

Which is exactly why the term "moderation" gives no indication of specific amount.  Theoretically, you can watch 30+ hours of streaming at 300MB per hour, but the reps won't say this, because people will take it as concrete.  If the reps said this, people will start watching whatever on LD, then when they run out at 23.5 hours, they'll get ticked, saying "well they said I could watch 30 hours."  Everybody's system uses different amounts of data for different things, so while that 30 hours of viewing can be done, it's not for sure.  It's all relative. In "moderation" is simply a warning that data should be watched during streaming.  "In moderation" is the best term that can be used by someone explaining about streaming with Hughesnet.  Can you define "moderation" when it comes to streaming, whether in hours or data amount?  No.  Due to this, it means you have to be cognizant of the amount of data you are using.  Moderation gives zero concrete amount.  It only means that you can do it, but how much and how often will be different for each person. 

Moderation..."the quality of being moderate; restraint; avoidance of extremes or excesses; temperance."  Moderation is the perfect word. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
New Poster

"These ads have nothing to do with Hughesnet, and if someone buys Hughesnet because of one of these ads, that's on them for not doing their homework."

Obviously HBO/netflix/amazon ads have nothing to do with Hughesnet, but they do have something to do with how the majority  of people understand the term "streaming".  I am not an Hughesnet customer because I want to stream movies, I am customer because I don't have any other option to browse the web.   I think that is probably the case for 99% of the HN customer base.  Maybe I'm wrong on that.  

That is why I think the  HN sales force would better served to be clear on this and not use terms "not a lot" or "moderation". .  Your parents had the benefit of your insight and advice on satellite, many others do not.

Let's face it, the majority of the Internet US customer base will not be looking at being frugal with Internet usage when everything is going online.  just my 02 cents.

No, you are right on most people having Hughesnet because they have no other option.  No one chooses Hughesnet if cable or fiber is available.

That is why I think the  HN sales force would better served to be clear on this and not use terms "not a lot" or "moderation".

How would YOU be more clear?  I'd like to know.  Remember, you can't use a specific amount.  No numbers. 

Let's face it, the majority of the Internet US customer base will not be looking at being frugal with Internet usage when everything is going online.

Being that streaming is in no way a necessity and not at all important, if they want it that bad they can move.  That's the only often performed thing that can't be done with Hughesnet in the same way that it can with landline internet.  Streaming.  That's it, along with a few other much less used things.  Streaming isn't a right. 

Lastly, I'm not trying to be short or anything, but I truly am curious about how, if you were a sales rep, you would tell someone about Hughesnet and its streaming limitations.  Without being able to use concrete terms or actual numbers, it wouldn't be easy, but you can't do those things. 

I did everything right and new about the early term fee but I received no service on the internet or the phone. I could not get anyone that spoke very good English to help me and when I could under stand enough, I would have to talk outside on a cell since my cell does not work in my house. I requested a tech out and wanted to know how I in the first week used up my time yet it did not work at all, (I told the sales person of the medical equipment, alarm system, solar system and my Vonage phone that the sales guy told me would all work on the system). The Vonage does not work on it at all and I have to assume the other devices use the system time up, (10gb). I have tried to call for help, e-mailed for help, sent back the surveys with needing help. Our Vonage line is for Veterans to call 24/7 as a emergency when they are not doing good (PTSD etc.).

I was bumped up to more data when I had called the first month and figured we would try again. Of course the cancel time is only 30 days which when I am being told I used it up some how, then I figured I would give them another chance. This same thing happened every month for several months and then I had Comcast pull a new line in from down the street that was over $5,000.00.  I had a service contract with them to provide me service and they failed to do so; yet they are still trying to bill me a ETF for a service they could not get working.

They sent the bill to a third party collection agency to collect and today I asked them to cease-and-desist which the collection agency closed the account with them and sent it back to Hughes-net.  When I called customer service, again this is a person from the Philippines and it's not customer care its corporate care, she said she was not able to give me the corporate number out and did not even know who the CEO of Hughes-net was. I have always known who my bosses are and can not find the CEO's email number anywhere. I have the corporate number now and have only gotten the message that states to leave a message and they will contact me the next day. I still have not gotten a call despite calling everyday for a week.

I am not an IT guy but I really need service for my medical equipment and to call emergency services for me at all times. After having Comcast come in, I have had no problems with calls, internet and being able to communicate to anyone.

I just wanted internet that worked. I don't game, download movies, stream, or any of the things that most people do because I don't know how to use most of it.

Guy,

First, it would be best to start a new post, and in that new post, do the following... 

If you provide either a case number from a prior phone call or the serial number located on a sticker on the back or bottom of your modem, the reps can use this info to locate your account and look into this for you. 

DO NOT post any other personal info, such as your account number (the one starting with DSS), phone number, email address, etc.  Only post either a case number from a prior phone call or the serial number from your modem, or both.

The reps are on here M-F from about 8:00AM or so to 5:00PM, so the earliest you would hear from them would be Monday. 

The reps on here are at the corporate level and they can help much more than the phone reps.

I want them to call, I want a call from the Executive Billing. Why don't they publish the number for me to contact them?

If you want them to call, you will need to do what was asked.  They will need to be able to locate your account. 

But, I forgot to mention, it would be best to start a new post, then post the info requested above.  The reason for the new post is so the reps can focus solely on your issue and not get it confused with the many other posts on this thread. 

New Poster

As a sales rep, I would just say "it's best for browsing the web,  I would not subscribe to  streaming services such as Netflix, HBO, or other streaming services because at best you will have limited use of those services.   If you want to stream a movie every now and then, say one movie a weekend or 4 or 5 movies a month on a 10 GB plan, that is probably going to fit the download usage based on just web browsing".  
Is that reasonable and clear?

I spend $130/mo for Dish Tv.  But if I could stream, then I could pretty much look at getting rid of the $130/mo I pay for TV.   So when you say  
"Being that streaming is in no way a necessity and not at all important, if they want it that bad they can move"It is really kind of  big deal.  I have many friends who have dropped cable TV or satellite TV to stream movies.  So it is a big deal if you are on a limited budget..  

That is my point, more services are being delivered via the Internet, whether it is entertainment, shopping, online banking, etc,..  Advertising in the US is understandably geared to this trend. Hughes net or any metered service has a strong current to swim against with frugality. Just goes with the terrioritory and I'm trying not to beatup on Hughesnet.  Hughesnet should just own it be straightforward is all in the sales of the service.