Hughesnet Community

Customer Base = Scamming Hughesnet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ericdanielle

Customer Base = Scamming Hughesnet

Well, this is a forum and forums are for open discussions right?  As the title indicates, what are your thoughts on Hughesnet's customer base actually trying to scam Hughesnet.

I have read through a lot of posts on the forum.  Not all, but a fair amount are from users of Hughesnet service expressing hatred with the service, and what appears to be ALL ending with "I want my money back" or "I can't pay for the Early Termination Fees" or "I need my fees waved".  Some users are given FREE data tokens, WHICH THEY USE, and still want refunds.  Overall I'm hearing and gathering the customer base saying "Give us service, but I don't want to pay.  I want to burn through as much data as I can, and in the end I want all my money back no matter how long I have used the service".  It truly is sad, and people should be ashamed of themselves.  You mix up your junk and bad behavior so that legit folks don't have a fair shake.  It says in the fine print that you will pay an ETF!  Tough $hit!  You signed up didn't ya.  You reached in your purse, wallet, jar, pillow case, and gave them your card, which is EQUAL to your signature.  Just because you didn't read extra information or didn't research prior to signing up, is not Hughesnet's problem.  "They didn't tell me..."  Bull!  They did too!  The agent on the phone didn't sit in silence!

Deep breathe...  🙂

I have always been told/taught to READ the fine print on everything, and do the research.  If then and only then you decide to give it a go, IT IS MY FAULT.  No one HELD A PERTICULAR WEAPON TO MY HEAD AND FORCED ME TO SIGN UP OR PURCHASE ANYTHING IN MY LIFE!  You have a choice.  It was the clearest of choices!  Sign up for Hughesnet or Don't.  As a consumer, and a citizen of the United States of America, you had a choice.  Hughesnet is not a monopoly.  There ARE other services out there, and you had the option of going with a different one, or researching a different service.  But you didn't.  You also CALLED them or placed an order online.  YOU DID!  Not hughesnet!  If you called them to order, the person on the other line just didn't say, "Give me your credit card, and good luck".  THEY EXPLAINED THINGS TO YOU, and it was up to you to listen, and ask questions if YOU don't understand.  They are a business, and if they can get someone to sign up without asking a single question, WOOT WOOT!  Gas stations would love it if you walked in handed them your credit card, and you said "CHARGE WHATEVER YOU WANT" and you walk out with nothing, don't fill up and drive off.  Kinda makes you look stupid doesn't it?  SAME HERE PEOPLE!

I'm glad that my service is above what I expected.  I am sorry for those that are legitimately experiencing trouble.  Just like buying a car, you will experience trouble at some point.  I just hope that if I experience problems, that two things will happen...

1.  Hughesnet will guide me through the issue as best as they can over the phone or via the forum, and send help out if it is feasible.

2.  My installer is nice enough that I can call them for assistance or input.  If I feel I need to.

I wish all the best to everyone!  I hope in the end I can help someone that is having a legitimate problem, I hope this forum never goes away, as it is VERY entertaining to read the complaints.

Eric

88 REPLIES 88
ericdanielle

Wow!  Didn't know this post was going to be such a hit!

As someone stated before, I am in a honeymoon phase with hughes as my data resets JUST expired today I believe, as I can see now that my data has not been reset.  Jezra asked me how much data I have gone through..  I'll be honest, if I had the time to tally every single day of data usage from the day I signed up, to today, I have already burned well through my 50gb anytime.  HOWEVER, I did know that my data was going to reset, and I tested the service to the limits.  I wanted to make sure that the service out performed my frontier DSL.  IT DOES!  Now that I no longer get resets, I have to use accordingly.  I already informed my wife, and she to is now aware.  Big downloads will be done in bonus bytes or our data will be used accordingly.  We will treat our internet just as we do our check book. 

Also someone had mentioned how bad dealing with, or calling hughesnet would be.  I have actually talked with them over the phone, and through the chat.   (Chat is done with a computer type service, and a human assists when needed).  My experience.... A+

So, as of right now, even with me starting to watch my data go bye bye, chewing off my finger nails..  LOL 

Hughesnet Grade... A          <---  You would have had a higher grade, but a received an email stating that I had signed up to Premium services in which I had not.  After a Chat with the online chat.  The email was an error and needed to be ignored by me.

Eric

ericdanielle

Jezra...  You wanted to know how much data I have used so far?  I just took the time and tallied everything...  43.4 GB.  I WAS DOWNLOADING THE HECK OUT OF STUFF, and my wife binge watched Netflix so she could catch up on her shows before we canceled Netflix.  I am supprised with all the GB downloads of game updates, and computer updates, and stuff that after 23 days I still have technically 6.6GB of data left.  I wasn't able to figure out bonus bytes, but I know I downloaded at least 3-4 gigs of stuff cause that's when our download speeds were in the 19mbps range.  Shhhhhhh... don't tell anyone about our speed...  I don't want them to share our speed with someone else... :-))))

I have not downloaded the data tracker cause it does us no good on the PS4, and the IPADS.  My computer gets used seldom, and all homepages have been set to 192.168.0.1 so when we go to the internet we can check our data before continuing..  😉

Eric=Data for days!  lol

Lab-Lover

So Eric, explain to me, what types of things you had to download? And was it noticeable on your system? In other words, could you have done this "stealth" ... With nobody else in the house noticing? I am curious as to what it takes for a system to download that much data?
ericdanielle

I logged into my.hughesnet.com, and clicked on the usage link on the very left side, from there you have the option of seeing, Daily, Weekly, Monthly, and 2 months.  That's how I calculated.  I just hovered with my mouse and added all the TOTAL data each day.
ericdanielle

I am not quite sure of what you mean...  But let me try and answer.

1.  I did not have to download anything.  Every device that we own that needed updates, was already up to day.   I wanted to test Hughesnet for 20 days, and make sure that it was the correct service for me and my wife.  Our household owns 2 ipads, 2 iphonse, 3 computers, 2 roku boxes for streaming Netflix, PS4 and Wii.  All things ran excellent on our Hughesnet Gen4.  We are lucky in the fact that we can pay for the ULTRA plan.  50gb/50gb.  However, I am a closet computer nerd, and understand how data and things work.  I know that PS4 game updates once in a while can be up to 3gb.  My xplane flight simulator on my computer also needs updates from time to time.  So while our data was resetting for 20 days, we downloaded updates on the PS4, xplane, and download steam games.  All the while, testing our download speeds.  So I know which times I get the best speeds, and can use this information to my advantage.  All my downloads were noticible on my system.  My wife and I HAD to ok the downloads.  Nothing is set to automatic.  I can check data usage on the HT1100 @ 192.168.0.1 and via my.hughesnet.com.

2.  "Stealth" downloads.  If you are asking if someone could sneak downloads without me catching it.  Like if my 10 month old daughter could eventually download something in the future without me knowing.  Heck no.  All data usage is tracked in detail at my.hughesnet.com.  Example..  I could not find out why all our devices were off, but something was using .1mb of data every hour.  That's 1 Mega byte every 10 hours.  Come to find out, after all the devices were off.  The PS4 was the only device still on.  It stays connected to the internet...  Barely, but it does, and burns up this data every hour.  I shut this device off completely, and now when checking on my.hughesnet.net, it shows all ZEROS across the board every hour.

3.  Now, when you say...  You are curious as to what it takes for a system to download that much data...  Its not really all about downloading.  Everyone assumes data is only used for downloads.  You have uploads as well.  Data travels in two directions.  My wife and I have our household, set up in such a way that we know all devices are off, and between the communication between us, we know who is going to use data, and deligate when we can make big downloads.  If I want to use the Ipad, I turn on the wi-fi on just that device.  I shut it off when I am done.  If I want to download a big game update, or a game I purchased on steam, I do that after 2am.  Yes, I set an alarm for 2:01am.  Stroll downstairs to the computer, and click download..  Then roll back up stairs, and crawl back to bed.  Then when I wake up at 6am for work, I go back downstairs and shut things off. 

My advice to everyone...  It's really simple.  Get in control of your house...  Every modern device has wi-fi basically.  All devices want to connect to the internet to do something..  Just don't let them.  Shut everything off, and only turn on the devices you are going to use.

I hope this helps.

Eric