Hughesnet Community

Cutting the Cable Cord? Is Your Wi-Fi Up to the Task?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mordacious

Cutting the Cable Cord? Is Your Wi-Fi Up to the Task?

With so much original content accessible from streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon, you no longer need to worry that cutting the cable cord will leave your favorite shows behind. Think of it instead as weaning yourself off of that pricey cable bill and moving into the happier, more affordable world of Wi-Fi streaming. Here are the first steps toward setting yourself free.

Please note: Netflix recommends 5 Megabits per second for HD quality streaming and 25Mbps for Ultra HD.
20 REPLIES 20
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Is Your Wi-Fi Up to the Task?

Nope, not hardly. I have data caps on my ISP service. While I have Hughesnet's top Ultra plan with 50/50 GB of monthly data streaming must be done sparingly.

I view it like this .... Internet is Internet, its not TV.

Rather like having a phone with a camera in it ... is it a camera or a phone. In the end too many compromises are made and then its really not one or the other.

Mordacious

I view it like this .... Internet is Internet, its not TV.
My view as well, however today people see it all as one and the same.

As for the phone, if I ever get a cell phone again it will be a simple clam shell, I want it to make and receive phone calls. Don't need pictures, internet or to have it make coffee for me in the AM.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Several years ago I worked at a Defense plant with all secuity rules you could wish for and then some.
They allowed cell phones but no cameras. Over time it became very hard to find a decent phone without a camera.
At some point they came up with a waiver but you just about had to sign over your first born.
dlwilliams1990

We cut the cable/satelite tv back in August, we use an antenna and get anywhere from 22+ channels
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I honestly don't see how many, many cable internet users are not using 100's of GB's per month streaming HD, unlike I believe it was Comcast saying the average user was around 100-150 in an article awhile back. Going by the posts here people expect to be able to stream HD and UHD 24/7, say they did it before with cable.

Heck, even 150 GB is only 50 hours at 3 GB per hour, or about an hour and half a day for the month. Something doesn't line up with what cable providers are saying. Maybe just binge watching on the weekends I suppose.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

OTA TV here too and what we don't get there we are able to get what we want at SD or low definition over internet and fine with that. We get 17 channels even here in the mountains although all the transmit towers are in one location (antenna farm) to the north and we have a bit of a gap line of site through the hills. Would be in trouble if had to aim any other direction, would be looking right at the side of a mountain.

EDIT: Most people who comment about HD OTA TV say it is a better picture than their cable was.
Amanda

I don't know how applicable this article is for this community...
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Gwalk had it right in first reply but you know how we love discussions, relevant or not. : )

Mordaciuos, you've been a bad boy!
Brandon

yea if hughesnet or viasat ever started marketing their services as allowing you to cut the cord.. oh boy let the data cap complaints roll in
Brandon

the picture I get from my antenna is better than what i get from directv. typically, the picture from cable and sat providers are more compressed than that of OTA
Brandon

cord cutting is still just a small minority of those who actually subscribe to cable internet
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Like I say, wouldn't know that by many who post here. They make comments about how all their relatives and friends who have cable internet can stream as much Netflix, TV, etc. as they want in HD 24/7. Guess they are all the small minority or another case of exaggeration simply to cry here about not being able to do it.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Very true. 
GabeU

I have plenty of cable cords, just no cable service to hook them to.  LOL. 
Mordacious

What kind of drugs are you on so I can be sure not to take any?
GabeU

I'm high on Hughesnet.  Heh heh. 

Mordacious

DAMN! too late!
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

OK too much.

GabeU

Ya know, I just ate a burrito!  Thank you for the visual.  Good lord.  LMAO.  I suppose it's better than "Audition." 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor