DATA LOSS without anyone being on the PC or connected to WIFI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CWM030
Sophomore

DATA LOSS without anyone being on the PC or connected to WIFI

HI, I am losing data at a fast rate with no one connected to WIFI and the computer is disconnected by going up to the top of my OPEN SUSE panel and I disable networking.

I went to the doctor today and I was at 5 point something or so gigs , I get home and now I am down to 3.9?!?!?!?!

The only thing I can think of is its been raining all day thats the only thing I can think of. 

I unplugged the modem and plugged it back in and the lights just blink like crazy like someone is on it constantly doing something.

No I have not gave out the password. 

Any ideas why I am losing data for no reason?

Chris

4 REPLIES 4
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

It's not "for no reason." There's a reason that needs to be figured out....  To do that, you will need to run a modem isolation test. See below for instructions.

Please perform the following test outlined in the graphic below, though follow the full instructions written below the graphic. This is known as a Modem Isolation Test, and it will help to determine whether the issue is with HughesNet or your local network..

photo P2hSeDN.jpg

1: Disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem.
2: Take a screenshot of the Home page of the System Control Center, along with the clock on your computer screen.
3: Disconnect the LAN cable from the modem, noting the date and time of disconnect.
4: Leave the LAN cable disconnected from the modem for several hours. HughesNet recommends doing this overnight, or during the day while at work. DO NOT unplug the modem from the power. The modem must remain powered.
5: Reconnect the LAN cable to the modem, noting the date and time of reconnect.
6: Take a screenshot of the Home page of the System Control Center, along with the clock on your computer screen.
7: Post your screenshots to the community.

The screenshots should look similar to the following, being dependent on the operating system, with the system clock included (you can move the System Control Center data level window to being near the system clock so that it is included more easily).

photo mfQBdeH.jpg

Do not unplug, power cycle or internally reboot the modem after the test has been run, as the reps need to be able to reconcile your modem data logs with what is shown in the screenshots. Any of those three things will wipe out those logs, rendering the test results moot. Only after the reps have responded with their findings should any of those three things be done.

Please be aware that, if you downloaded any large files just prior to this test, some usage may appear to have occurred due to the slight delay (lag) in the modem reporting the data usage to the server, but it should be rather negligible.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

CWM030
Sophomore

Never mind I found the Culprit.. My mother hit her WIFI button on her phone and I forgot to tell her phone to forget the password and she was playing games and thats what was using my data up. 

Chris

maratsade

Glad you found the culprit!

@CWM030 wrote:

Never mind I found the Culprit.. My mother hit her WIFI button on her phone and I forgot to tell her phone to forget the password and she was playing games and thats what was using my data up. 

Chris

GabeU

@CWM030 

You can see what devices are and were connected to your modem since the last time it was plugged in here.  This can help to you to determine what it may be that is utilizing your data.

Keep in mind that some devices are still connected when they are "off", and they can still use data.  A very good example is a DirecTV receiver, which can plow through data like there's no tomorrow.