Hughesnet Community

DATA - WHERE ARE YOU GOING?!?!?!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamesnshena08

DATA - WHERE ARE YOU GOING?!?!?!

Ok. We have had Hughes Net for about a month. We live in a rural area. I am not currently at home, but go to check our data and before a month was up we had used ALL of our anytime and 98% of our BONUS (I am not sure what kind of bonus this is, but I am thinking that we actually need that in our plan). I can't seem to understand how all of that data was used. I knew netflix might take up a good portion of it, but it is only used an hour or so at night. Also, since we have a month left before we get anymore data - what happens are we charged extra if we use it or will it just become inactive after the bonus data is used?
11 REPLIES 11
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

James, an hour or so of Netflix in HD each night can easily use all your data in less than a week. It can use up to 3 GB per hour. You must set it to SD or low as described here: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

Note it can take 8 hours for a change to take effect.

Bonus bytes are available from 2-8 AM.
jamesnshena08

Hmmm, I wonder if I should then let Netflix run off my phone's data plan?  I get 30 GB per month with them.  I wish we got regular internet in the country! I am glad I didn't get rid of Direct TV thinking I could use Netflix, Hulu, etc. for TV. 🙂
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Either way I would set it to low definition. We have no problem with quality on 32" TV and smaller screens like tablets. It is ugly for about the first minute but then looks decent after that. It would save on your cell phone data also.

And 30 GB data on phone, wow! Not cheap either I bet.
donsjgm
Junior

Hi James,
Nice to meet you and welcome to the community.
Many of us "wish we got regular internet in the country!" but living out here is worth it to me and I'm thankful for satellite internet.
The speeds are reasonable and the connection is fairly reliable providing that you have a proper installation, correctly set up home network and malware free, decently operating computer. (I have 2002, 2007, 2009, and 2015 systems - so I don't mean new)
I have DirecTV, like you and as you have figured out HN satellite internet IS NOT a replacement for TV.
Learning to manage your monthly data is the only curve here. This community, especially the "Champions" and the Official Reps. is here to help you.
Best wishes,

Don  🙂
genedougherty

I just think that $20hr is expensive to watch a netflix movie. There is in my mind no excuse for allowing this type of data expense.
What I am saying is in my plan I have 5gigs and 10during off time. Watch one movie and it's gone...1day! Then throttled for the rest of the month.
I even believe that when not in use there is a minimum day usage of 3kb upload & download? This all adds up to what I consider a problem especially when the modem is turned off.
Other than that if you are just looking at email every day I still use my monthy allotment on an even keel.

Seriously I want to watch Hulu & Netflix but there is just no way with Hughes...goodbye. 
Liz

Good morning James,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! Glad to see that BirdDog, Don, and Jezra have already given some good tips on managing your data allowance. To add to that, keep in mind there are countless other factors that can use your data:

- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:
https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook
or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to SD: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, so download that if you haven’t already:
supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

If you're a Windows user, and you're really curious as to what all is connecting to the internet on your computer, you may want to look into using a third-party data monitoring program to help you pinpoint the programs on your PC that use the most data. Community members have suggested and used GlassWire, so feel free to ask them for tips on using it: https://www.glasswire.com

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

genedougherty

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:

Did you ever think that your answer is not appropriate? I bought a computer for this purpose. Up untill about 2 years ago did all this misery with data control come about... there was no throttle, I did not have to cut back, disable, stop watching  which is now the answer...Why not just get rid of internet, Hulu, netflix, facebook, telephones, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips...then problem solved...but this is not the way of things...thus Hughesnet and throttleing, Hight prices for data, the new norm...it is really disappointing that huges has come to this...I know it is not only you but you are my service...at least for now. Goodbye Hughes.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Again, better to start your own new post if you really want help.
Reggie
Teaching Assistant

BirdDog,

I dont think he want any help. I think he just wants to vent. If that is the case then good luck to him.
Al Fischer

Have had Hughesnet for about 3 years. NEVER went oer my limit. I have Dish 250 channels of TV to watch! So not Hulo or Netflix needed. No problem keeping 3 laptops and a Desktop updated. Download all the pictures I want and maintain 2 Websites. Only problem is he pathing they use. Google can take 30-60 seconds for my home screen. Tracert shows multiple hops over satellite connections. But this is the best we rural living folks have. Beats city life. 
bdvvdd12

That's why its cheaper to just pay for TV service. Watch all you want and not worry about using all of your data.  The other option would be to upgrade your plan, that would give you more data and allow you to do more with your allotment.

What a lot of people don't realize is when everyone decided to cut their cable service, that is what started all of these major data caps with most of the Ground based ISP's. And why would you want to only have internet service, I can't find most of the shows i watch on the internet anyways, or its a really big pain.