cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DISAPPEARING DATA for over 2 yrs! HUGE PROBLEM!

Assistant Professor

Re: DISAPPEARING DATA for over 2 yrs! HUGE PROBLEM!

Problem is what I read from Gwalk's post is the modem is showing a LAN connection when there was none according to Larry. Not good if that is even a possibility. Modem software, hardware, how is it possible unless a glitch somewhere on Hughes side?
Associate Professor

Modem has been replaced, diagnostics inside the modem state cable is connected from my understanding, on both modems.  Diagnostics are performed via the modem... sooo... >.>
Assistant Professor

I am assuming the customer is being truthful. Maybe I'm an easy mark.  Smiley Happy

The whole testing process assumes honesty on the customer's part doesn't it?
Highlighted
Junior

I would lean that way but Larry was a "happy customer for 2 1/2 years". All according to the OP. idk >_<
New Poster

Could possibly be the computer that he using causing it, wifi driver, wifi card, or even OS

Hi Gale, My newest wifi router is Net gear, this is the second or third time I've had Net gear. I also have had Linkseys and a couple of Belkins. I have not tried to change any settings on the wifi router. I will probably have to wait until my data refreshes on the 26th. But I really don't think there could be something wrong with every wifi router that I've bought. And I've still had data missing even when I've had wifi router unhooked, and just had Hughes modem plugged directly into computer. Last week I had hughes modem plugged directly into computer when I downloaded the 60mb audio for my class and 2gb were gone. And I believe it was directly plugged into computer the night I had called Hughes when I couldn't listen to the audio, through a link that was sent to my email. It just kept buffering even though I had token data. I had discovered a ?mark at top of audio box and clicked that and it brought me to webcast help, I then clicked test now, and it did a test and everything passed test with flying colors except connection speed- Failed! which said 230kbps. I don't know if that was upload or download or what that all really means, the hughes tech guy I was talking to said to try and adjust the quality of the audio and there wasn't an option to do that. I kept telling him to do his own speed tests while I'm having the problem and I also told him since I am paying for high speed internet and have the biggest package I can buy and currently have token data, shouldn't the audio be loading?  That's when he finally said he would send a tech guy to my home. The tech guy that came here on Fri. said there is absolutely nothing wrong with anything on my end and the problem has to be on hughesnets end. I just really hope the loose cable on the radio receiver on the dish that he tightened fixed the problem. The tech guy that was here also works for directv, I asked him to check to make sure the directv isn't some how draining data. He laughed and said in order for it do that I would have to have the tv hooked to the internet. Apparently it's not hooked to internet. It's very rare that I watch tv so I didn't know.
And Hughes net had sent me a different Hughes modem HT1100 and I mailed the one I had back to them in Sept.
I had a heck of a time trying to get back to this site today, it kept saying page cannot be found. My new computer was hooked up in December and I Have it set so it can't download updates or apps and the tech that came Fri. confirmed I had everything set fine.
Hughesnet tech said that when the 31.7gb disappeared that it was caused from uploading, And asked if I send a lot of emails with attachments. I happened to send 1 email with an attachment this month but it's a very rare thing that I even send an email. I receive a lot of emails though, too many! LOL! I was having a problem sending that email the first three times I sent it but that was because the guy I sent it to forgot to tell me there was supposed to be a capital letter in his email address. I don't think that would cause the problem but who knows.Now I'm feeling the need to investigate that even though if that was a problem then why did I have data disappear for all the other months I've never sent any emails. I'm pretty sure this is the 1st time that all of my bonus data disappeared though.
I was going to do speed testing on my new computer but apparently I would have to download java on my computer first and I would need to have data to download that.

Good morning erinnystrom, 

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! Welcome to the community and thank you for your post, we want to address your concerns. Please read the information here and follow the instructions: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/wheres-my-bytes-how-to-test-for-data-leaks

Then you may post your screenshots here in your thread.

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

New Poster

After reading Larry's full thread I think the true problem ls on hughes end, I could be wrong but it really looks that way
Assistant Professor

And Gwalk does to. That pretty much brings me on board also. Time they take a really hard look. Problem is, looks like a case that will take an engineer(s) monitoring 24/7 for one user. We all know how business works. Cut the loss?

Not saying that is what should happen. Just a realist.
Junior

What about giving Larry a new modem and transmitter, cable too if it's suspect (HN gives NC installs for new customers / how about customer retention?) and assign him a different account/gateway/beam/etc. It wouldn't tie up engineering and should solve the problem. Any further issues would be on Larry.