Hughesnet Community

DISAPPEARING DATA for over 2 yrs! HUGE PROBLEM!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erinnystrom

DISAPPEARING DATA for over 2 yrs! HUGE PROBLEM!

Had HughesNet hooked up11/26/12. The dish was placed on our new roof. We had the smallest pkg 10gb, 1 desk top,3 -4 smart phones. Internet worked great for first year, never even would use up all 10gb. Then as soon as the first yr went by our data started disappearing and problems with connecting and staying connected. Even when we had data still available we had slow connection speed and disconnecting problems off and on. When we would run out of data I would have problems getting my email to load and if could get connected to the internet on a site we couldn't go to another page or link. (beyond throttled). I also had drop box, and even though I would put things in drop box they wouldn't load. I would get up in morning and check downloads and they would say download interrupted, I would have to resume, restart, or just give up. We weren't doing anything different than before. Our phones were all set so no auto updating could happen and the background app refresh shut off. The computer was set to do any updating in middle of night. I called several times and explained we weren't doing anything different. We DO NOT do gaming, streaming movies, Pandora, and our tv isn't even hooked to internet. I have continuously had to up my data plan to the largest they have 50gb daytime, 50gb bonus between 2am-8am. Yes comes with a HUGE price tag. I kept getting told maybe it was my wifi router, I believe I'm on my 6th different router, now repeating brands because I was told a different recommendation of brand every time. I was also told maybe someone is stealing my data. Well not only is my wifi password protected, I live out in the boonies. My closest groc. store is 27 miles away. Then I was told it had to be my computer so they finally talked me into signing up with their partner Home Tech support for a year, however they said there is nothing wrong with the computer and they couldn't find any reason for data depletion. I've been on the phone with them prob. hundreds of times at this point, the average call is 20min. and I've literally been on the phone with them for over 2 hrs at a time several times doing every kind of testing they can do. The only problem that was ever admitted was that I had occasional slow speed. Last July 2015 a tech had told me the problem had to be the dish connecting with the satellite(no trees or anything blocking it). He explained it to me like this- the dish is having a hard time connecting to satellite so its using more data, like if a car was going down a smooth road you would have normal gas mileage, and if you go down rough terrain you're going to use more gas. Made sense to me, now I thought well if whatever is causing the rough terrain between the dish and satellite can be fixed that would end the problem, they finally sent a guy out and was supposed to replace the radio receiver on the dish. The guy said the original installers never bolted the dish down tight on the roof, so he tightened it down and realigned it. I was trying to think positive and hoped that it was fixed even though I would have felt better if the transmitter would have been replaced. Unfortunately it didn't change a darn thing. In Dec. I broke down and bought a new computer just incase Home Tech support was missing a problem with the other one. I write down the data remaining every time I go on the computer. I started taking online classes last summer, I am so afraid of using data that I try and stay up and do them during the middle of the night which is kind of defeating the purpose of the healing classes when I should be sleeping. I recently did a little data test with a 60mb audio download from my class, It used up 2gb to download. This month, only 10 days into new data refresh, I hadn't used my computer for a couple of days so I checked my data remaining and it had dropped 31.7gb. My kids have moved out and only come to visit and my husband has been working out of town and only home on weekends. Since I was the only one home, where did the data go? All of my data ended up disappearing. A few days ago I had a token applied and later I had checked my email and since I had data I was going to listen to a short audio that was linked from my email for a class, well even though I had data it wouldn't load, I shut everything down two times and it still wouldn't load. I called HughesNet and told him what was going on and while I had him on the phone it still wouldn't load. He finally said he would send out a tech. The tech came today, he did say the cable was a little loose on the radio receiver but everything tested fine so his boss said he couldn't replace receiver , although I would have been happier if he would have since he was here. So do you think after over 2 yrs with a connection problem that a loose cable will be the cause of hundreds of dollars spent needlessly, not including the frustration and stress and hours and hours on the phone and doing all of the testing. Did the tech that came in July miss the loose connection? I'm always told I have patience of a saint, but I can guarantee you the patience have ran out. I really pray it is fixed, but am so disgusted with what it has cost me. If It's not fixed this time I will be changing providers, I did hear that there is another option now available. If the loose connection is the cause I think HughesNet should give me over 2 yrs of free internet service.
189 REPLIES 189
erinnystrom

Me too! Lol!
erinnystrom

Thanks guys for coming up with some ideas, even if you come up with ideas that can get ruled out it's still a step closer to the solution. I wish I was able to help more but I don't know how things work on the technical side. Please keep and open mind and don't let the answer slip on by.
I can tell you I do not see a hole in the cord, and no puddle of data on my floor. LOL!
Thank you for showing me some compassion, that in itself makes me feel a little better for having to deal with this for so long.
erinnystrom

And the problem might not be completely limited to data loss do to uploading, It's just that's what I have been told is the majority of it is, and from what I've been told and looked up as to what uploading is, I can honestly say that uploading should not be a problem here. I can send a pic of the usage chart from the two days last month when I lost the 44gb. And from my understanding about uploading, I would be then using data do to uploading by attaching those pics and sending them right? And I believe I have either ruled out and prevented any chances of any major uploading causes.
I don't know if the loosing connection problem has anything to do with the data loss problem or if that would be separate problems, I can tell you it seems the more connection problems there are, the more the data seems to disappear.
erinnystrom

Thanks Liz, the tallest yellow spike on 2/3/16 data usage chart was a concern because I wasn't using the internet at the time and nothing else should have been either as far as anything updating. I noticed the top 3 lights on hughes modem blinking like crazy, I have learned that when those lights blink fast then data is being used. That tall spike was before the LAN being disconnected, The LAN was disconnected a 8pm (right after the tallest yellow spike) and you will see there continued to be data loss
erinnystrom

Thanks Liz, the tallest yellow spike on 2/3/16 data usage chart was a concern because I was Not using the internet at the time and nothing else should have been either as far as anything updating. I noticed the top 3 lights on hughes modem blinking like crazy, I have learned that when those lights blink fast then data is being used. That tall spike was before the LAN being disconnected, also interesting to note that there was an X in the uplink box on the other diagnostic hourly chart at that time. I called hughes tech-Brenda to try and catch this data loss problem in the act. The LAN was disconnected a 8pm (right after the tallest yellow spike) and you will see there continued to be data loss even though the LAN was disconnected. Data remaining per tech prior to unplug LAN 43.5gb daytime remaining.(I wish I would have gotten the more precise number off the dashboard). I called back prior to plugging LAN back in, tech-Brian, LAN plugged back in 10:44pm 43.5gb daytime data. Did not show up as looking like data loss by comparing the data number we used(If we would have used the more precise data amount from dashboard) we would have noticed the difference. What caught my eye was that the data usage chart clearly showed data use(upload and download) while LAN UNPLUGGED, even though it was mb's and not enough to change the gb's we were going off of. I called back immediately, the tech-Michael agreed there should not have been any data loss while it had been unplugged, so he said we had to do a different kind of test for overnight. This time I took down the more precise data number of dashboard. LAN unplugged again at 11:25pm data remaining- anytime 43300mb/bonus 47147mb.Readings confirmed with tech. I call back the next morning 2/4/16 prior to plugging LAN back in. The tech-Mike gives me his reading, anytime 43143mb/ bonus 47147mb, he also states that it will use 1 mg to turn on, Lan plugged in (directly into computer) at 10:04 a.m. he was right 1mb difference turning on, my reading was- anytime 43142mb/bonus 47147mb. There is 157mb data used while LAN was unplugged and even though it was a small loss I was happy to prove there was still data loss and I wasn't the one who used it. The 24 hr diagnostic chart gives the proof that my LAN was disconnected the whole time. Tech Mike then tried arguing with me that I did not lose any data even though I know how to add and substract. Then he was going to attempt to tell me it was my wifi router, I was no longer willing to listen about the wifi router anymore after I had already told him the LAN was directly plugged into computer and I have replaced my wifi router multiple times and they all were and still is password protected. I really feel as I have been insulted enough for over two yrs now.

see prior post for other posted charts, I live in central time zone.

2/3/16 called hughes at 7:54pm, call duration 51min, tech-Brenda, per tech (did not get screenshot) anytime data 43.5gb,8:07 LAN Unplugged. Ref#52419644

2/3/16 called hughes at 10:40pm, call duration 16min, tech- Brian, anytime data prior to LAN plug in at 10:44pm 43.5gb. Ref#52421149 
screen shot at 11:00pm anytime data 43353mb

2/3/16 called hughes at 11:04pm, call duration 26 min, tech-Michael, anytime data per tech 43300mb/bonus 47147mb,I also took screen shots but can't find, guessing they didn't work but I also wrote them down with same amount, at 11:25pm LAN Unplugged. Ref#52421297

2/4/16 called hughes at 9:47am, call duration 27min, tech-Mike, prior LAN plug in- per Mike anytime data 43143mb,bonus 47147mb, 10:04 LAN Plugged in. (directly to computer), 10:09 screen shot and written anytime data 43142, bonus 47147.  43300mb minus 43143mb =157mb disappeared while unplugged. Ref# 52425389

I have also downloaded the glasswire, I will have to see if there is anything I have that will help figure this out. If I find info I will send it, but not tonight, I've been at this all day and I'm going to bed. I would like to spend time with my husband who has came home for the weekend and had gone to bed 2hrs ago as I tried to finish this post. Good Night.
erinnystrom

Lol! I was thinking  K-Y may be another option, would have been at least easier to get off if needed to vs the crazy glue but may cause a bigger moisture problem. He must of been more concerned about it coming loose like mine did. LOL! If moisture/coax can cause these same problems that I have, I'm wondering if that should be looked into right away. When you had the problem did you also have problems with connecting and staying connected? maybe not since it wasn't going anywhere with the crazy glue, and was the DDDD random times and amounts? I can picture in my head that a loose cable could cause a disconnection problem, all that would take is movement from a breeze. If moisture/coax is the problem would the radio have to replaced or the cable dried out or replaced or would grease cure the whole problem?

Also, my satellite strength usually is good, I tend to forget to check that.
donsjgm
Junior

Hi erin,
A person can drive themselves crazy trying to account for every little scrap of data. In seeing your screenshots, Microsoft will always utilize small amounts as part of the EULA that you agree to when you use Windows. It's significant amounts that are of concern as well as amounts used when your system is disconnected.
erinnystrom

Hi Donsjgm, Yes, I couldn't agree more, This does drive me crazy. I have a question, when for example I did a little test of my own and I downloaded a 60mb audio and 2gb were gone. Should there only be 60mb gone? It just seems that 2gb would be excessive even if something else uses data to do a download.
donsjgm
Junior

Erin, go to the usage meter and look at the time when you did your test and see what was going on. Check both the download usage as well as the upload.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

erinnystrom,

To answer that question ....

A single computer as 65,536 "comm ports"

When we open a web browser for example we access "port 80".

If we have an email client program running we use two more "ports" one for incoming mail, another for outgoing mail ... those we can see ... we know they are open and using data

That leaves 65,533 ports that can access data channels that we don't necessarily "see". For example, your system will, as a background process visit "places" that will sync your systems time clock ... there are soooo many others ...

Without a program like GlassWire  you have no idea as to WHAT is connecting to WHOM, WHEN and doing WHAT.

Look at this:

Do you see the "highlighted" part ? ......

"and a 145 more" .....

Liz

Hi Erin,

Going by the timestamps in your screenshots, our engineers have reported that there was no data usage Feb 3 11:00 pm to Feb 4 10:09 am CST.

Please let me know how Glasswire works out for you, I'm sure it will shed light on your unexplained data usage.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

donsjgm
Junior

As always, doing a great job, Liz  🙂
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

donsjgm
Junior

There's so many complainers here a little a** kissing goes a long way.
cooper61

I feel really bad for you. And I only thought my situation was bad. I think they should give you back every dime you have ever given them. Hughes Net is a rip off!!!
erinnystrom

Is this helpful? LAN disconnected 2/3/16 11:00pm(23:00 military time), LAN reconnected 2/4/16 10:09am(10:09 military time)
The closest I could get the time on glasswire graph is 2/3/16 11:05pm(23:05) - 2/4/16 10:05am(10:05), Both times within the time that LAN is disconnected, hanging in air.
Liz

Hi Erin,

The LAN cable test is to be coupled with screenshots of the HughesNet Status meter, not Glasswire. The purpose of the LAN cable test is to eliminate HughesNet as the source of your unidentified data usage, which we have already done.

The purpose of using Glasswire is to help you determine what programs on your computer are connecting to the internet, so you have more insight as to what exactly is using your data.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

erinnystrom

I feel that I'm wasting on trying to figure this out. Even though I felt that I had proved there was 157mb data gone while the LAN was unplugged. I'm still told I had no data loss. So just because I have not caught a big data loss in the act yet, and Apparently it is normal for smaller data loss to be gone while LAN is unplugged, then am I just going to be told there was no data loss even if I catch a big data loss?
I also have been unable to get connected to the dashboard usage for 2 days now. Pretty hard for me to get the more accurate screen shots if I need them to prove anything. Why does this not surprise me?
Shouldn't that glasswire graph be flat lined for the the time the LAN is unplugged? How can any program be connected to the internet if the LAN is unplugged?
erinnystrom

Bill, Is this something that should still be looked into or am I just wasting time trying to figure out the data loss? I really have better things to be doing if I'm never going to get to the bottom of this. From what you had described, it seems to me that moisture/coax could very well be(and most likely is) the cause of my disappearing data, especially since the coax cable was loose on the radio. What do I from here?
Liz

"How can any program be connected to the internet if the LAN is unplugged?"

This is precisely the point we try to drill in by doing the LAN cable test. If the HughesNet modem alone doesn't generate usage while isolated, but rather only once the LAN cable is connected, then something on the other end of the LAN cable, i.e. a computer/laptop/router is the source of the data usage. From that point, you can focus your investigation on the device in question.

Glassware is a third-party program, so I will defer to those in the community who are most familiar with the program. Alternately, you may find some useful information on how to get the most out of Glassware from their support forum: https://forum.glasswire.com/

-Liz

erinnystrom

Hello Bill, Is it possible to take a look at the previous post I had posted for you? I continue to have disconnection problems. I'm afraid that(moisture/coax) is getting overlooked as the probable cause of all this. So far I haven't had any major data loss this month that I can tell of but I never know when it's going to happen. No snow on dish and nothing is in its path. Thank You.