Hughesnet Community

DISAPPEARING DATA for over 2 yrs! HUGE PROBLEM!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erinnystrom

DISAPPEARING DATA for over 2 yrs! HUGE PROBLEM!

Had HughesNet hooked up11/26/12. The dish was placed on our new roof. We had the smallest pkg 10gb, 1 desk top,3 -4 smart phones. Internet worked great for first year, never even would use up all 10gb. Then as soon as the first yr went by our data started disappearing and problems with connecting and staying connected. Even when we had data still available we had slow connection speed and disconnecting problems off and on. When we would run out of data I would have problems getting my email to load and if could get connected to the internet on a site we couldn't go to another page or link. (beyond throttled). I also had drop box, and even though I would put things in drop box they wouldn't load. I would get up in morning and check downloads and they would say download interrupted, I would have to resume, restart, or just give up. We weren't doing anything different than before. Our phones were all set so no auto updating could happen and the background app refresh shut off. The computer was set to do any updating in middle of night. I called several times and explained we weren't doing anything different. We DO NOT do gaming, streaming movies, Pandora, and our tv isn't even hooked to internet. I have continuously had to up my data plan to the largest they have 50gb daytime, 50gb bonus between 2am-8am. Yes comes with a HUGE price tag. I kept getting told maybe it was my wifi router, I believe I'm on my 6th different router, now repeating brands because I was told a different recommendation of brand every time. I was also told maybe someone is stealing my data. Well not only is my wifi password protected, I live out in the boonies. My closest groc. store is 27 miles away. Then I was told it had to be my computer so they finally talked me into signing up with their partner Home Tech support for a year, however they said there is nothing wrong with the computer and they couldn't find any reason for data depletion. I've been on the phone with them prob. hundreds of times at this point, the average call is 20min. and I've literally been on the phone with them for over 2 hrs at a time several times doing every kind of testing they can do. The only problem that was ever admitted was that I had occasional slow speed. Last July 2015 a tech had told me the problem had to be the dish connecting with the satellite(no trees or anything blocking it). He explained it to me like this- the dish is having a hard time connecting to satellite so its using more data, like if a car was going down a smooth road you would have normal gas mileage, and if you go down rough terrain you're going to use more gas. Made sense to me, now I thought well if whatever is causing the rough terrain between the dish and satellite can be fixed that would end the problem, they finally sent a guy out and was supposed to replace the radio receiver on the dish. The guy said the original installers never bolted the dish down tight on the roof, so he tightened it down and realigned it. I was trying to think positive and hoped that it was fixed even though I would have felt better if the transmitter would have been replaced. Unfortunately it didn't change a darn thing. In Dec. I broke down and bought a new computer just incase Home Tech support was missing a problem with the other one. I write down the data remaining every time I go on the computer. I started taking online classes last summer, I am so afraid of using data that I try and stay up and do them during the middle of the night which is kind of defeating the purpose of the healing classes when I should be sleeping. I recently did a little data test with a 60mb audio download from my class, It used up 2gb to download. This month, only 10 days into new data refresh, I hadn't used my computer for a couple of days so I checked my data remaining and it had dropped 31.7gb. My kids have moved out and only come to visit and my husband has been working out of town and only home on weekends. Since I was the only one home, where did the data go? All of my data ended up disappearing. A few days ago I had a token applied and later I had checked my email and since I had data I was going to listen to a short audio that was linked from my email for a class, well even though I had data it wouldn't load, I shut everything down two times and it still wouldn't load. I called HughesNet and told him what was going on and while I had him on the phone it still wouldn't load. He finally said he would send out a tech. The tech came today, he did say the cable was a little loose on the radio receiver but everything tested fine so his boss said he couldn't replace receiver , although I would have been happier if he would have since he was here. So do you think after over 2 yrs with a connection problem that a loose cable will be the cause of hundreds of dollars spent needlessly, not including the frustration and stress and hours and hours on the phone and doing all of the testing. Did the tech that came in July miss the loose connection? I'm always told I have patience of a saint, but I can guarantee you the patience have ran out. I really pray it is fixed, but am so disgusted with what it has cost me. If It's not fixed this time I will be changing providers, I did hear that there is another option now available. If the loose connection is the cause I think HughesNet should give me over 2 yrs of free internet service.
189 REPLIES 189
erinnystrom

lol, my luck I would still break something with a foam brick. We have quite a few deer in yard daily here also. That bobcat I was talking about even took down a full size deer right by our yard. I've seen them stalking deer when I used to bow hunt but never catch any. I had a pet disappear the night before I found the dead deer. And 3 more pets since. All I ever see of that cat are it's tracks. And the bear are fun to watch but they can also be quite destructive and can really bring down the amount of deer population in an area because they eat a lot of fawns. And the wolves you wouldn't want either. They are a beautiful animal but good bye deer and many other animals. My sister lost 7 calves to wolves before the cow could even finish delivering the placenta. Many dogs also killed by wolves. Many people around this area have literally heard their dog bark and get to their dog within 5-10 min and come up to nothing but a skeleton and a collar.
Liz

Good morning Erin,

If you run into those other error messages, please get some screenshots of those as well so I can send them up. Aside from the HughesNet community, do you have any difficulty browsing other websites? Are you seeing similar errors? I just want to confirm whether the errors are local to the community or not.

I also just ran remote diagnostics on your site to ensure that there isn't anything that would affect your internet connectivity; all is clear.

Looking forward to hearing back.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

erinnystrom

Hello everyone, here's an interesting update today. Sorry it's going to be long but it will be worth your read! I was blessed with some phone reception today so I spent 3 hrs total on phone today with Home Tech Support. The guy went thru my computer, looked at my router, and checked Everything. I was told there is absolutely no problems with any of my equipment and whatever is going on with my disconnecting problems, connecting problems, disappearing data is definitely on the hughes side of things. He said he he has no access to hughes testing on hughes end of things but he did go and look at all of my system control info, graphs, codes, diagnostic charts, ect. and looked at dashboard, and glasswire He also did several tests of his own. He went on netgear site and said I don't need to make any changes or add any more passwords than I already have, He said I can if I want to but it isn't going to change any of the problems I'm having because the problems I'm having is with Hughes internet service and equipment. I also screen shot the netgear page that showed the only things connected to netgear router is my desktop computer and my phone. Just for some proof that I don't have any hidden data sucking things in my home that I wasn't aware of. I also have more screen shots of another day that I had another 10%packet loss, and today when I did the test it showed as 0% but when the guy did his Bing test it showed 3%.packet loss. He said I shouldn't be having any packet loss and that packet loss is usually caused from severe weather, obstruction, or hughes equip. There are no obstructions, and packet losses lately have been on nice days. He also said that those X's that I've been seeing in the system status diagnostics is showing there is a problem going on. I've been having X's in the uplink boxes several times and also have had a recent X in DNS acceleration box. He said the speed test that I've been doing in the system status center is only giving me a test between my hughes modem and the router which I've been saying has been good every time I check that. He said that often hughes refers customers to a site called testmy.net to do a speed test and that site does not work for hughesnet speed testing but will give a customer a very inaccurate false high speed reading. I really don't remember the sites I was referred to when hughes had me doing speed testing in the past. He said the best one to go to that gives an accurate reading for hughes Is Bandwidth.com. Which gave my speed as download 3.52mbps,and upload 0.10(almost non existent). He said that I am paying for 15mbps. He said that internet companies can get away with some speed loss because they will have in their sales pitch "up to" 15mbps speed or whatever speed a customer is paying for. But legally they have to provide 60% of whatever speed they are advertising or you are paying for. So in my case I'm suppose to have 15mbps so I should be getting at the very minimum of 9mbps(60%), and the 3mbps is far from that. The reason why I am unable to listen to many of my class audios I suppose. I even had him take a look at some of my posts here showing him that I've tried to prove this over 2 yr problem that I've been having with hughes service. He said that he receives 3-5 calls a day with people with same problems and he couldn't believe that I have delt with this for over two years and thinks I have gone above and beyond what anybody should have to. He couldn't believe that hughes hasn't done anything to fix the problem and charging me for the biggest data package they sell (when the first yr we wouldn't even use the smallest package data up), and try to convince me to keep buying a different router several times, and telling me its a computer problem. He said he's sure Hughes knows the problem is on their end of things and they have been just giving me the run around.
Here's something really COOL!  The guy told me that I have a screen shot that will prove the disappearing data.Yeah!! He said anybody that knows how to read Glasswire will clearly see that I am not using all of the data and where the data that I do use is going. He said I will not need to post any other screen shots to prove my data loss and the data loss is definetly on hughes end of things. He suggested that If they try and tell me that it doesn't prove the disappearing data and they don't do something to correct the problem and give me some kind of compensation for what they have put me through then it's really time for me to switch to a different internet provider.The screen shot will show the dashboard data with my data amount remaining, I set the Glasswire to Feb 26th(when my data renewed) to the current time of screen shot, just before I started writing this post, and I even did some math for you. Screen shot 3/7/16 9:10pm, dashboard data Remaining, anytime-33779mb/bonus-46875mb, which my math will show whats Used, anytime-16,221mb/bonus-3,125mb to give a total of 19,346mb supposedly used. Note that the Glasswire is set to show the data used since 2/26/13 00:00:00(time of my data allowance reset) to current time of screen shot, Data used by me, and a little from the Home tech guy today, clearly shows data used since 2/26/16 is 1.1GB(1,100mb). Which means there is 18,246mb unaccounted for- which is also known as the disappearing data that I haven't used. 

I will also attach a screen shot of the speed test but I will have to crop it because it looks like it also lists my computer info that I might not want to be public.

I sure hope this helps a lot of people. Take care everyone. Good Night.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

erinnystrom, I hope someone can help you with your problems. I did see some of your screenshots from the past and from what I can see there is a clear problem of some sort.  I'm not a Hughesnet tech, nor very technically proficient with their equipment so I can't help you with any of that.  Sorry.

What I did want to say was that the site testmy.net absolutely DOES work with Hughesnet and I don't know why the tech said it doesn't.  If you haven't already, I would suggest that you create an account at testmy.net and tick it so you remain signed in, or at least sign in every time you go to the site so it logs your speed tests.  This way, you can see all of the tests that you have done, and you can also give the URL to the Hughesnet reps so they can see your test results, as well.  testmy.net is the only other site that Hughesnet officially supports in addition to their own speed test (personally, I don't like Hughesnet's speed test and don't use it).  But, again, it absolutely does work with Hughesnet and it IS accurate.  I don't know why he would tell you otherwise.  Thousands of other Hughesnet users use testmy.net and use it at the request of the reps to help them to diagnose problems regarding speed.  The logs can also help to see the variance between peak and off peak speeds with your system.   

Also, I don't know about any law that requires your internet speed to be at least 60% of what is advertised.  There may be, but I've never heard of such a law.  I hope that you get to a point that you receive that and even more.

Further, and I may be wrong in this, but I don't think that the Glasswire you have on your computer is also going to measure what's going on with your phone.  I think it only measures what's going on with your computer.  I'm not saying that your phone is doing anything you don't want it to do, I'm just saying that I don't think Glasswire is going to measure your phone's usage.  Perhaps Glasswire measures it through your router, but again, I'm in doubt of that.   

I certainly hope that you get this straightened out.  It would be driving me crazy.  All of those red exes in the uplink are definitely not normal.  LOL. 

erinnystrom

Hi Gabe, I really don't know if the testmy.net works or not, I don't remember ever using it myself. It would be interesting I guess to compare the two sites. What I really care about more than the test speed numbers is just that I would have enough speed to be able to get done what I try to get done at the time. Maybe the guy has just realized that the bandwidth.com was more accurate than the other site because he does testing on computers all day or maybe it works for some hughes customers and not for others depending on the system they have.He said something about getting speed readings on the testmy.net that had been in reality an unattainable speed. I took several pages of notes yesterday. And I'm not sure with the phone, he had me go through that also while I was talking to him and I have everything shut off on that also. I had started taking screen shots of the dashboard data usage chart where there was big periods of data usage with uploading that had occurred when I hadn't been using any data through my phone or even the computer, and comparing it to the glasswire useage(I would Isolate the time frame of the spikes from dashboard to the time on glasswire) and the data comparisons between the two aren't even close. The guy did say that glasswire will not show a device connected but he did point out something on the glasswire, I think (don't quote me on this) but maybe that it would be showing up on Microsoft usage or something. I downloaded the sessions from them so maybe if I went through that I would remember what he pointed out. I drilled that poor guy yesterday with a bunch of questions but he was very good about answering my questions. He said they do send hughes the info they come up with. I do feel that I am putting to much time into trying to figure out these internet problems and feel pretty helpless sometimes because I don't know what other information I can give to them to prove the problem or help them figure out where the problem is, all I know is that I have replaced things on my end more than I should have and have done enough testing for over two yrs now that they should realize by now that something is definitely wrong on their end and since I can't fix anything on their end I can't do much more than I have. It gets really frustrating when I can't even get on to the hughes sites and data usage charts sometimes for days at a time. The guy was trying to explain how somethings work to try and help me figure out where the data could be going on the hughes end but as I had said earlier he said that he doesn't have access to the hughes testing system, and he also said that hughes had eliminated some of the testing that they used to have that was helpful in the past. The guy said that it would prob take a hughes engineer(not just a norm hughes tech) to be able to figure out what's happening and said that they would prob just be better off have the whole system reinstalled from modem, cables, dish(radio receiver). He was trying to explain how data could disappear, he said for example many things(sorry I forgot the word he called the things, I will call them communication programs) have errors, lets say it takes 10 programs to open a site, if those programs have errors on them, the system will keep sending those programs until they go through, so if it takes 4 times of trying to get those 10 programs to go through then it has taken not only 4 times as long, but has also used up 4 times as much data, and he said maybe those big data useage times is from it getting stuck with repeating. Sorry, it really made more sense the way he described it. He said that one of the tests that would be helpful for my situation for hughes to do, happens to be one that he knows has been eliminated. He said that it could be a problem anywhere from having a bad port on the hughes modem(but really didn't think that's the cause) I don't either because it's been replaced twice already but still could be possible, maybe a bad coax cable(like how an electrical cord can have a short in it and work sometimes and not others), or a malfunctioning radio receiver. He didn't think it would be geographical location because it worked great the first year, but who knows. No matter what the actual cause of the problem is, at this point I know It is on the hughes end of things and they really need to just fix the problem because I really have better things I need to be doing with my time and money. I have really been more than patient and tried to help for far to long and have forked over way too much money for service I haven't been receiving.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Is that device the only device on the network during that time period?  Was it the only device directly connected to the modem during that time period?  There have been incidents in the past where a users router was erroring and causing "phantom usage".
Liz

Hi Erin,

Thanks for posting your HTS experience in detail. I've already requested that call to be reviewed, as there were a number of things that should not have happened on that call as well as inaccurate information that was given. I apologize for that, as I can see how confusing that may have been.

Regarding your unidentified data usage, we've already established a month ago that there was no usage when the HughesNet modem was isolated; I had an engineer check and confirm this for me. After which, I've suggested you use GlassWire to determine what exactly on your computer is using your data. If you are unsure of how to interpret your GlassWire results, I highly suggest taking advice from fellow subscribers like yourself you have experience with the program. Additionally, it doesn't hurt to learn from the source: https://www.glasswire.com/contact/

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

erinnystrom

Go figure, I guess I shouldn't have gave so many details. If I would of known it was going to cause a problem I wouldn't have. I do believe I stated not to quote me and what I wrote because I knew I wasn't using the proper words. The poor guy did keep saying he had no access to hughes end of things, and I think I had clearly stated that part. I have been paying for Home Tech Support for a year now. I do expect to get some answers from them. And I have never ran into a rude home tech guy yet, I definitely can't say that about hughes. I get more answers and help from home tech than I ever had from hughes. Unfortunately home tech can't fix the hughes end of things. 
To the guys out there who have been trying to help me, obviously more than hughes has, thank you for all of your advice that you have given me to try and figure out the problem.
And Liz as far as saying I have no unidentified data usage because of the test that was done a month ago, I do not believe that should be written in stone that I have no unidentified data loss. The data loss happens at random times. Just because you did not catch it on that test does not mean it is not happening. There is a problem here, There is data disappearing whether you want to admit it or not. I have problems with connecting and staying connected and the internet is really slow when I do get connected. I have problems with downloading my classes, I have problems listening to audios. I have done more than my share to try and help figure out the problem, obviously hughes is never going to admit that it's on their side of things. I am not going to replace any more of my equipment, Everything is new at this point, somethings new several times over like my router. I obviously can't post enough screen shots of what I believe shows there is a problem. I'm really getting tired of wasting my time.

Here's just one more example.Does the TIME of the major data usage even look odd to you?
w

Here's another screen shot of another day I had packet loss show up. Does it show there is some kind of problem?

Here's the speed test results I did tonight from the test site you prefer. I's even less pretty than the bandwidth one I posted. Does your preferred site show that I have a problem?

Do these X's show there's a problem? Maybe I'm just seeing things. I do get a lot of headaches with my spinal cord dying, maybe I'm just nuts and just hallucinating there's a problem.

Here's examples of what happens when I try to connect to a site, It's very frustrating!

I seriously don't know what more you want me to post to try and prove there's a problem on your end of things- that really should have been taken care of over two years ago when it had all started.
I literally have hundreds of screen shots of hughes crap on my computer at this point that I don't know if I could scroll far enough to get to any family photos. And what good have all of these screen shots done for me? Do you really need me to post any more? I have several, some with lots of X's on different days, several of the your not connected ones, several of many things that I think shows there's a problem. Same crap different day.
 Good Night.
Liz

Hi Erin,

For the unexplained data loss, that's where GlassWire comes in. Hughes cannot tell what on your network is using your data, we can only tell that data is being used. The best way to narrow down your search is to isolate one device at a time. So since we've already demonstrated that the HughesNet modem does not use data when isolated, the next best thing to do is to directly connect one computer to the modem. From that point, you can observe how much that computer uses. GlassWire would then show what exactly on the computer is using the most data. Sometimes people find that it's their extension-packed browser using more data than expected, or that their antivirus is streaming updates in the background. 

If usage looks fine with the PC plugged in, then you can safely add another device to the network, like the router. I would make sure all wireless devices are switched off from preventing them connect. If you find a spike in usage after connecting your router, and all your devices are off, you may want to double-check your wireless security to ensure there are no unauthorized devices connecting to your network. 

As for your internet connectivity, when you lose connectivity, go to the System Control Center (SCC) at http://192.168.0.1 and click on the System Status link at the top. It will show you a state code that will help us see what is happening with your system if it's not functioning normally. 

This is your SCC right now:

If you are experiencing a disconnect, check SCC and tell us the state code.

For slow speeds, please follow the steps here to set up a testmy.net account and run speed tests so that we get a proper evaluation of your system performance:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/cant-use-the-hughesnet-speedtest-guide-for-testmy...

Most important points:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem
-use the 12MB test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

Your cooperation, patience, and underst anding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Just to add a comment to what Liz stated ......

I know I was supposed to get back to you Erin but I got sick.

One computer at a time, connected directly to the modem is essential.

Load GlassWiire on that computer and run it.

Setup Glasswire to show Incoming, outgoing and external. Exclude "local":

Do one computer at a time.

At some point the router can be added back into the mix but here is where my advice differs from that given by Liz:

Connect the Router to the Modem

Connect the wired computers to the router.

TURN OFF/ DISABLE the "radio" portion of the  router.

DO NOT DEPEND ON HAVING TURNED OFF ALL THE WIRELESS DEVICES

DISABLE THE RADIO !!!

Run the devices on the network and this will include the routers "hardware" and check usage.

Because you have posted shots showing massive upload activity this may be a good time to have Liz run some remote diags again with an eye towards seeing if you are showing a high transmission failure rate.

It simply is highly unusual to have the hours long massive upload activity that you have shown in the past.

Also, leave those "sliders" at the bottom of Glasswire alone .... lets see the entire "timeline" including those hours when the computer is off:

Look carefully at what is being displayed .... note the highlighted areas below:

The bottom line here is that you simply MUST disable the "radio" during this time.

It allows too many connection avenues by both authorized and unauthorized  devices.

Get the main wired network components consisting of computers (one at a time) and then the "hardware" aspect of the router troubleshooting done first.

Just my .02

CommunityWorklo
New Poster

Hi Gwalk, thanks for your input. I did also run diagnostics just before posting today, all green, all good.

-Liz
erinnystrom

Just a quick note, I ran a bunch of speed tests today. All very slow. Even slower than before. Just for the record. I only have one computer. This one. I'm really not liking to have to have my phone shut off. I'm starting to think this is a bunch of BS really. Liz, don't you think that the posts I have already posted earlier with the state codes are good enough. The same problems had been going on with all of the other routers I've had. I'm not going to take the time to post any pics tonight. I'm going to bed. Sure would be much easier on me if the cable and dish/radio receiver was replaced. Hope you're feeling better Gwalk. Good Night.
erinnystrom

Todays speed test results that I just did. Having problems now to attach the pics. Now keep getting internal server when I try to attach pic and have to start over.

erinnystrom

Here's more, had internal server error again on previous post again,

erinnystrom

Here's what I mostly get to do on my computer when I use it. Pretty darn sad if you ask me.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

When you get an "internal server error" look immediately (using another tab of course) to see it you have any error conditions in effect such as 30.1.1

When you get these have your tried to disable Web Acceleration to see if it helps ?

Can you describe what you are doing here ?:

FYI: The "internal server error" is an issue with Get Satisfaction. Just happened here to me.

erinnystrom

My idea on trying to fix these problems that I've had for OVER 2 yrs. How about since I've replaced all of my equipment, even computer, wifi router several times, signed a yr contract with Home Tech support that hughes thought would prove a problem on my end and Home Tech keeps telling me everything's fine on my end. I have been paying for the biggest and fastest package available even though the hughes worked great the first year and wouldn't even use up the smallest package with 3 more internet users at the time. I have spent an unbelievable amount of time trying to prove what's going on. Obviously hughes knows there's been a problem for over 2 yrs now and still after over 2 yrs it's not fixed. How about hughes replace the coax and the dish/radio receiver since those are the only things that haven't been replaced. When YOU pick up your equipment you can hook it up to your own system and try to deal with it. I had originally switched to hughes so I would have faster better internet than what I had because I was going to have several back and neck surgeries and wanted better internet while I was off of work. Unfortunately all the surgeries I had done has made everything worse faster and now my spinal cord is dying at neck level, I am 45, not some old bitty that has nothing better to do than complain about things. I have problems with typing and sitting at computer for more than a few minutes(and those are my minor problems), now I've just recently got devastating news about a close family member and I really don't feel that I should have to spend any more time trying to figure out a problem on your end of things that I can't fix. I'm sorry I am frustrated and tired of dealing with this and I really can't afford to keep paying for service I haven't been receiving.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Well Erin.

What can I say ....

I was just diagnosed with colon cancer this past Monday so none of us really has a "walk in the park".

erinnystrom

That was yesterday when I tried to play a education video, video wouldn't play as a very normal problem I always have so I gave up on that and did testmy.net speed test, The one you have circled is testmy.net upload thing(don't know what you call it). The yesterdays speed tests are shown on those pics also. I'm guessing I couldn't play video because of the slow speeds. I also have problems playing audios, and one of the audios I was having problems with a while back had its own diagnostic testing and when I had done that test everything had passed test except for the speed, I had called hughes at the time immediately while problem was happening. I believe that was about the same time I had started posting on this site. If I remember correctly, I think I had posted something about that. Hope you have better luck on your end than I have trying to prove there's something wrong on hughes end.
erinnystrom

Maybe they could just change the name to "Get Frustrated" instead of fixing the problem. Certainly haven't gotten any Satisfaction.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Unsure yet.

Will see the surgeon on the 17th so all the reports will in by then.

I will say losing three pints of blood will ruin your day.