Hughesnet Community

DISAPPEARING DATA for over 2 yrs! HUGE PROBLEM!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erinnystrom

DISAPPEARING DATA for over 2 yrs! HUGE PROBLEM!

Had HughesNet hooked up11/26/12. The dish was placed on our new roof. We had the smallest pkg 10gb, 1 desk top,3 -4 smart phones. Internet worked great for first year, never even would use up all 10gb. Then as soon as the first yr went by our data started disappearing and problems with connecting and staying connected. Even when we had data still available we had slow connection speed and disconnecting problems off and on. When we would run out of data I would have problems getting my email to load and if could get connected to the internet on a site we couldn't go to another page or link. (beyond throttled). I also had drop box, and even though I would put things in drop box they wouldn't load. I would get up in morning and check downloads and they would say download interrupted, I would have to resume, restart, or just give up. We weren't doing anything different than before. Our phones were all set so no auto updating could happen and the background app refresh shut off. The computer was set to do any updating in middle of night. I called several times and explained we weren't doing anything different. We DO NOT do gaming, streaming movies, Pandora, and our tv isn't even hooked to internet. I have continuously had to up my data plan to the largest they have 50gb daytime, 50gb bonus between 2am-8am. Yes comes with a HUGE price tag. I kept getting told maybe it was my wifi router, I believe I'm on my 6th different router, now repeating brands because I was told a different recommendation of brand every time. I was also told maybe someone is stealing my data. Well not only is my wifi password protected, I live out in the boonies. My closest groc. store is 27 miles away. Then I was told it had to be my computer so they finally talked me into signing up with their partner Home Tech support for a year, however they said there is nothing wrong with the computer and they couldn't find any reason for data depletion. I've been on the phone with them prob. hundreds of times at this point, the average call is 20min. and I've literally been on the phone with them for over 2 hrs at a time several times doing every kind of testing they can do. The only problem that was ever admitted was that I had occasional slow speed. Last July 2015 a tech had told me the problem had to be the dish connecting with the satellite(no trees or anything blocking it). He explained it to me like this- the dish is having a hard time connecting to satellite so its using more data, like if a car was going down a smooth road you would have normal gas mileage, and if you go down rough terrain you're going to use more gas. Made sense to me, now I thought well if whatever is causing the rough terrain between the dish and satellite can be fixed that would end the problem, they finally sent a guy out and was supposed to replace the radio receiver on the dish. The guy said the original installers never bolted the dish down tight on the roof, so he tightened it down and realigned it. I was trying to think positive and hoped that it was fixed even though I would have felt better if the transmitter would have been replaced. Unfortunately it didn't change a darn thing. In Dec. I broke down and bought a new computer just incase Home Tech support was missing a problem with the other one. I write down the data remaining every time I go on the computer. I started taking online classes last summer, I am so afraid of using data that I try and stay up and do them during the middle of the night which is kind of defeating the purpose of the healing classes when I should be sleeping. I recently did a little data test with a 60mb audio download from my class, It used up 2gb to download. This month, only 10 days into new data refresh, I hadn't used my computer for a couple of days so I checked my data remaining and it had dropped 31.7gb. My kids have moved out and only come to visit and my husband has been working out of town and only home on weekends. Since I was the only one home, where did the data go? All of my data ended up disappearing. A few days ago I had a token applied and later I had checked my email and since I had data I was going to listen to a short audio that was linked from my email for a class, well even though I had data it wouldn't load, I shut everything down two times and it still wouldn't load. I called HughesNet and told him what was going on and while I had him on the phone it still wouldn't load. He finally said he would send out a tech. The tech came today, he did say the cable was a little loose on the radio receiver but everything tested fine so his boss said he couldn't replace receiver , although I would have been happier if he would have since he was here. So do you think after over 2 yrs with a connection problem that a loose cable will be the cause of hundreds of dollars spent needlessly, not including the frustration and stress and hours and hours on the phone and doing all of the testing. Did the tech that came in July miss the loose connection? I'm always told I have patience of a saint, but I can guarantee you the patience have ran out. I really pray it is fixed, but am so disgusted with what it has cost me. If It's not fixed this time I will be changing providers, I did hear that there is another option now available. If the loose connection is the cause I think HughesNet should give me over 2 yrs of free internet service.
189 REPLIES 189
erinnystrom

Liz, As I had stated many times before, I Have Only One Computer hooked up, It was new in Dec 15' and I'm guessing it would be using a different browser and I know has a different anti virus. The problem has been for over 2 yrs now. I'm on my 5th or 6th different wifi router now thanks to hughes recommendations of it as being my problem. I have came to the conclusion now that the wifi router is not the problem. The one I have now was new in Nov 15'. They are not cheap, and I am not replacing it any time soon. The same problems were happening for over 2 yrs despite me replacing the routers. When I had Home Tech checking everything the other day, I had the guy check my wifi router settings and he even made sure there wasn't any devices connected to it that shouldn't have been. I even screen shot it, I don't think I can post the pic because there appears to have important numbers on it that I wouldn't want to have public. I really hope the poor guy wasn't given any grief for trying to help me, I know I had asked him more questions than he felt comfortable about answering, but at least he was trying help.
Our phones have been replaced, everything is shut off on them that can be.
The hughes modem has been replaced twice now, so that leaves me to believe the problem is with either the coax or the dish/receiver since those are the only things that haven't been replaced. I really don't care that your tests keep showing that everything is working fine with it when you test it. I think the least hughes could do is at least replace it to rule out as it being a cause of the problems. I'm really getting tired of all of this testing and I have other things I need to be doing. Until they put me on the payroll to compensate me for all of this time and money I've spent on trying to figure the problem out, I'm not going to be as willing as I have in the past to do these useless tests that aren't fixing the problem and only wasting more of my time. 
erinnystrom

Gwalk, here's the last state code that was yest. And the new X's that just showed up on my current hr hx. 

erinnystrom

When I scroll over the state code 13.1.1 it says that the LAN is not attached, but I can assure you it is and I haven't been wiggling it or anything. I was told to ignore those codes because they don't tell me anything.
erinnystrom

Gwalk, The LAN from hughes modem is already plugged directly to wifi router, then there is a cord that goes from the wifi router directly into computer. That's the way it has been. And I only have this one computer. The glasswire settings have been set on those settings when it had been advised to do so in the past. I even just double checked to confirm. The only thing I'm not sure on is how to disable the radio, I know how to shut the power off and that's it. And I am curious to know what is this going to show by disabling the radio some how? And how long would the radio have to be unplugged for?
erinnystrom

erinnystrom

My husband is home now so I have to get to other things, I hope this new info has helped somehow but I'm not going to get my hopes up. If I can, no guarantees, I will try to look here periodically but my husband gets mad at me for wasting my time on this and has been telling me to get rid of hughes for the last 2 yrs.
erinnystrom

Gwalk I'm very sorry to hear that also. I can give you a lot of info that I have came across and studied that you might really be interested in so your not wasting a bunch of time trying to find. Mordacious you might be interested also. Start with watching "The Vitamin Movie" because I believe they have free watching until the 15th. They will want you to buy the dvd for $25 I think but You dnt have to by any means. I'm thinking about buying it myself because the dvd gives more info. Then I would go to glutenfreesociety.com where you will find a bunch of videos. The Dr.s name is Dr. Osborne. I have bought his book "No Pain No Grain". I think you will definitely be happy if you visit that sight. And don't run out and buy a bunch of gluten free products and waste your $, there's a lot more to it than going gluten free and the gluten free products aren't really gluten free that people are paying triple the cost for. I can give you a lot more resources if you are interested. I'm a nurse, or should I say I used to be now since I'm unable to go back, and I have studied Natural cures/remedies for yrs. And not saying anything against Dr.s, but they do not have much for nutrition education. Your body is made to heal, but you do have to provide it what it needs to do so. Take Care, hope things improve. If you do look into those things I mentioned, I would really be interested on what you thought about it.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Mordacious, might want to amend this part:
The modem IS your problem, you don't need it! KISS principle, learn it, love it, live it!
Did you mean router instead of modem?

And a good point, why does Erin even need a router if only one computer? I would run a LAN cable to wherever needed. More reliable than WiFi and fewer problems.
erinnystrom

Gwalk, Mordacious, I just want to say that if you think natural cures or anything like that, is not what you would be interested in as something to look into, I would just like to say keep an open mind, it isn't going to hurt anything by looking into it right? And Gwalk, for starters I would suggest to quit eating sugar immediately, that's what feeds cancer cells, and avoid all grains. From my experience I wasn't able to get any answers from the several Dr.'s Ive been to. I've only been able to find answers on my own. And It's been a long haul.From what I have learned about food,nutrients,ect... I think there should be warnings on all the food we typically buy, like a pack of cigarettes, warning if consume, highly likely you will develop health issues. Same goes for most of the supplements out there, You have to read the labels closely, Most of them are synthetic and have fillers you do not want and cause more problems than they fix. you need to get the real ones. And as far as medications that are prescribed, they can cause nutrient deficiencies that keep your body from healing itself. I witnessed many people put on meds, then more meds to try and fix the symptoms from that med, and people seemed to just get worse over time. Good business for drug companies. More than likely It's the food, meds, environmental toxins, lifestyle that is the cause of both of your health issues, as well as mine and 95% of the rest of the population. Take the time to look into it, I really don't think you will be disappointed if you do.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

First, Gwalk, I'm sorry to read about your health problems.  I hope that it was caught early enough and that with treatment you can fully recover.  You'll be in my thoughts. 

Secondly, erinnystrom, in actuality, "natural cures" can sometimes have a VERY negative effect, though most don't.  The biggest thing is NEVER forego a medical treatment for a "natural cure", no matter how amazing that "natural cure" may seem and may be espoused.  My mother is an FNP and toward the end of her career worked for an oncologist.  I did her medical transcriptions for her, and I remember two specific patients that decided to rely more on these "amazing" natural cures they had discovered and had been so recommended.  Needless to say, it didn't work, but if they had stayed with the medical treatment, they would probably be fine today. 

The Amish, who have a large community right near here, where I live, rely on a lot of natural things for cures, and unfortunately, when it comes to treatable, though serious illnesses, they have a high rate of failure, but with them it's okay, as they chalk it up to God's will.  It's hard to talk them into real medical treatments. 

Gwalk, again, I hope that your illness can be treated quickly and well.  If you have a bright outlook, with which there is no reason not to with the advances in medicine these days, it goes a long way, too.  Good luck.   

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Dang folks, this isn't a death sentence these days, give him a break.

I don't believe in strictly holistic treatment or modern drugs but a combination. Start loading up on spinach, broccoli, kale, etc smoothies but also do what the doctors say.

Modern medicine is not quackery for god's sake although it is profit driven sadly. Modern medicine at least found his tumor, holistic medicine would not have.

Gwalk, you hang in there and beat this! It is doable in today's world, not like even 20 years ago.

Sorry this is way outside this site's purpose but had to respond for the sake of someone I respect very much here.
erinnystrom

Mordacious, I only have one computer, my new one is another desk top, My old desktop computer is out on my porch in a box. I'm guessing one of my boys is going to come and confiscate it since it's not the computer that's the problem. The router is so I can check my emails from my phone, I have a hard time sitting at the computer doing these time consuming testing, posting things. I also use cellular data for my phone, but our whole area lost reception in June, so since I do not have reliable phone reception, my phone will connect to wifi when cellular doesn't work when I check my emails. I do have everything set on my phone so it can't do any updating, I have the app refresh shut off so it can't do any updating or running in the background. I have everything shut off that I can. If I had known we were going to loose cell reception then I would of never got rid of the land line. Since I don't have reliable cell phone reception, and somebody needed to contact me to see if I'm still alive they could. (providing I checked my email). Not to often I get anybody trying to email me though, not because they don't care! lol! They know I can take care of myself. If we run in to any medical emergencies I can pretty much handle them, I even do our own suturing if need be. If we ever run into something serious, Well I guess we would be SOL because the closest hospital is an hr drive away. I used to work there. If it wasn't for the classes I've been taking I would get rid of the whole flippen works at this point. Seriously, i'm not even kidding. I live out in the boonies, sticks whatever you want to call it. Google map me if you don't believe me. I live 5 miles NW out of the town of Athelstane. WI., on what they now named our road Northway Drive since it turned into a snowmobile trail. Athelstane is where the first stop sign is I run into from my house. The town consists of 2 bars(taverns) and a self serve gas station now, and a small post office. I grew up in that town. The reason I bought so many different routers is because hughes kept insisting it was a problem with my router, every time I would talk to a hughes tech they would all have a different opinion on what router I should have. So since I'm not any kind of tech person, I would believe them and hope the problem would be fixed by getting yet another router. I have since came to the realization that there can't be a problem with every single brand of router avail. The reason for the Home Tech is because Hughes insisted if it wasn't a router problem then it had to be a problem with my computer, so they told me I needed to bring my computer in to get fixed, get a new one, or sign up with their partner Home tech support to fix it. So I thought the easiest, most economical solution was to sign up with home tech. I had to either pay a butt load up front or sign a contract and spread the cost out over a year. The problem I had with Home Tech is they kept saying nothing was wrong with my computer. I was glad there wasn't anything wrong with my computer but I also was still having the same darn problems. I even had a hughes tech say that I needed to have someone come to my house to fix my computer then, that's even after I had told her I already had Home tech go through every thing several times and they kept telling me nothings wrong with my computer. The last Home tech guy said they send a report to hughes and let them know that it's not my computer. So here I am still stuck with the same flippen problems even though I have replaced everything on my end, In a contract with Home tech who says there's nothing to fix on my end and can't fix a problem on hughes end of things. And still paying for the biggest package available even though I'm not getting what I've been paying for. I simply would just like it to work. I'm tired of all of this BS testing that has not fixed anything. I'm not a big fan of being on my computer or phone. I don't even watch TV. That's beside the fact. It worked great the first year. There was even 3 more internet users here the first yr. Why hasn't it worked now for over 2 yrs? I shouldn't even have to have everything shut off like I do, this is absolutely ridiculous. I have been paying through the rear for something I haven't been receiving. I don't think it's to much that I'm asking for, and I think I have done more than what I should have done to try and fix the problem for far too long.
GabeU

After all of that, it's clear it's not your computer or your router.  Something odd is definitely going on.  A few years ago I was having problems where my internet would not work properly and produced a lot of red exes, just like yours is doing.  They came out and replaced the radio on the dish.  It was fine after that.  I haven't read through this entire thread, as it is very long, but if they haven't done that, or even suggested the possibility of that, I'd be surprised.  If you've replaced your computer, replaced your router numerous times (both of which I have no idea what would have to do with the uplink problems), and replaced your modem, there isn't a whole lot left.  This is VERY interesting.  Those red exes on the different things are indicative of something going on, that's for sure.  Again, when you replace all of those things and are still having problems, I would be looking at the one thing that hasn't been replaced, simply by process of elimination.     

erinnystrom

Mordacious, I had just seen your post when you asked about the router, and you wanted reason's for having one, And I replied to it. I'm sorry I didn't see it earlier.The natural cures post I made was what I thought would be helpful information. Sorry I said anything now.

Gabe, I'm not totally against the medical field, It definitely does have it's benefits, diagnostics is one of them, and I believe both medical and natural should be combined. I'm sorry I suggested anything. Matter of fact I'm sorry I ever posted anything on this site. The internet problem is obviously only going to go away when I get rid of hughes. 
erinnystrom

Mordacious, I had just seen your post when you asked about the router, and you wanted reason's for having one, And I replied to it. I'm sorry I didn't see it earlier.The natural cures post I made was what I thought would be helpful information. Sorry I said anything now.

Gabe, I'm not totally against the medical field, It definitely does have it's benefits, diagnostics is one of them, and I believe both medical and natural should be combined. I'm sorry I suggested anything. Matter of fact I'm sorry I ever posted anything on this site. The internet problem is obviously only going to go away when I get rid of hughes. 
GabeU

No problem.  If you see, up above, I posted a reply to your post from about an hour ago.  Just up the page a bit. 

erinnystrom

Thanks Gabe, I just don't know what else to do at this point to get them to fix it. I had tried editing the above post and it wouldn't let me submit the edit. I don't know if I should try again or not. And now I see It made a double post again on the bottom post. I just looked at syst control center and it has a new X in current hr dns acceleration again, whatever the heck that means, I'm sure I will be told it's my routers fault. I'm giving up for now and hitting the sack. Good Night.
donsjgm
Junior

Hi erin,
I confess that I too have been avoiding your thread.
The reason is that you won't/don't do what you're being asked to do.
Initially I felt sorry for your plight and have even discussed your problem, at length, on other tech/help sites.
You cannot solve this without taking the router out of the equation!
How many times have you been told to Plug the computer DIRECTLY into the modem?
erinnystrom

Mordacious, There's a difference between lonely and friendly, I assure you I am not lonely, and FRIENDLY YOU ARE NOT. If you think you will REGRET asking something, then by all means PLEASE DO NOT ASK, I do not like having to repeat the same things over and over but it seems that many people keep forgetting what I had already posted. I did not start posting to this site to be insulted. If the INTERNET PROBLEM would get fixed I would disappear from this site. I would love that more than anybody. I think that even a non-tech person as myself can figure out that the internet problems I've been having are NOT MY ROUTER!
donsjgm
Junior

Erin,
This will be my last post on your thread.
HOW can you say with certainty it's not your router if you won't do the tests without the damn thing hooked up.
It DON'T matter how many times that you've replaced it!!!
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

It is simply part of the process to isolate the system to a single device, it has to be done in order to proceed. And needs to left that way until it can be dinnertime nothing with the single device (computer) is causing the problem. Do or don't, your choice.