Hughesnet Community

DISAPPEARING DATA for over 2 yrs! HUGE PROBLEM!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erinnystrom

DISAPPEARING DATA for over 2 yrs! HUGE PROBLEM!

Had HughesNet hooked up11/26/12. The dish was placed on our new roof. We had the smallest pkg 10gb, 1 desk top,3 -4 smart phones. Internet worked great for first year, never even would use up all 10gb. Then as soon as the first yr went by our data started disappearing and problems with connecting and staying connected. Even when we had data still available we had slow connection speed and disconnecting problems off and on. When we would run out of data I would have problems getting my email to load and if could get connected to the internet on a site we couldn't go to another page or link. (beyond throttled). I also had drop box, and even though I would put things in drop box they wouldn't load. I would get up in morning and check downloads and they would say download interrupted, I would have to resume, restart, or just give up. We weren't doing anything different than before. Our phones were all set so no auto updating could happen and the background app refresh shut off. The computer was set to do any updating in middle of night. I called several times and explained we weren't doing anything different. We DO NOT do gaming, streaming movies, Pandora, and our tv isn't even hooked to internet. I have continuously had to up my data plan to the largest they have 50gb daytime, 50gb bonus between 2am-8am. Yes comes with a HUGE price tag. I kept getting told maybe it was my wifi router, I believe I'm on my 6th different router, now repeating brands because I was told a different recommendation of brand every time. I was also told maybe someone is stealing my data. Well not only is my wifi password protected, I live out in the boonies. My closest groc. store is 27 miles away. Then I was told it had to be my computer so they finally talked me into signing up with their partner Home Tech support for a year, however they said there is nothing wrong with the computer and they couldn't find any reason for data depletion. I've been on the phone with them prob. hundreds of times at this point, the average call is 20min. and I've literally been on the phone with them for over 2 hrs at a time several times doing every kind of testing they can do. The only problem that was ever admitted was that I had occasional slow speed. Last July 2015 a tech had told me the problem had to be the dish connecting with the satellite(no trees or anything blocking it). He explained it to me like this- the dish is having a hard time connecting to satellite so its using more data, like if a car was going down a smooth road you would have normal gas mileage, and if you go down rough terrain you're going to use more gas. Made sense to me, now I thought well if whatever is causing the rough terrain between the dish and satellite can be fixed that would end the problem, they finally sent a guy out and was supposed to replace the radio receiver on the dish. The guy said the original installers never bolted the dish down tight on the roof, so he tightened it down and realigned it. I was trying to think positive and hoped that it was fixed even though I would have felt better if the transmitter would have been replaced. Unfortunately it didn't change a darn thing. In Dec. I broke down and bought a new computer just incase Home Tech support was missing a problem with the other one. I write down the data remaining every time I go on the computer. I started taking online classes last summer, I am so afraid of using data that I try and stay up and do them during the middle of the night which is kind of defeating the purpose of the healing classes when I should be sleeping. I recently did a little data test with a 60mb audio download from my class, It used up 2gb to download. This month, only 10 days into new data refresh, I hadn't used my computer for a couple of days so I checked my data remaining and it had dropped 31.7gb. My kids have moved out and only come to visit and my husband has been working out of town and only home on weekends. Since I was the only one home, where did the data go? All of my data ended up disappearing. A few days ago I had a token applied and later I had checked my email and since I had data I was going to listen to a short audio that was linked from my email for a class, well even though I had data it wouldn't load, I shut everything down two times and it still wouldn't load. I called HughesNet and told him what was going on and while I had him on the phone it still wouldn't load. He finally said he would send out a tech. The tech came today, he did say the cable was a little loose on the radio receiver but everything tested fine so his boss said he couldn't replace receiver , although I would have been happier if he would have since he was here. So do you think after over 2 yrs with a connection problem that a loose cable will be the cause of hundreds of dollars spent needlessly, not including the frustration and stress and hours and hours on the phone and doing all of the testing. Did the tech that came in July miss the loose connection? I'm always told I have patience of a saint, but I can guarantee you the patience have ran out. I really pray it is fixed, but am so disgusted with what it has cost me. If It's not fixed this time I will be changing providers, I did hear that there is another option now available. If the loose connection is the cause I think HughesNet should give me over 2 yrs of free internet service.
189 REPLIES 189
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Dang spell checker, "determined" lol.
erinnystrom

How long does the router have to be unplugged for? Does it have to be unplugged for possibly days until I have the RANDOM data loss? I Have had SEVERAL times of testing done with my ROUTER UNPLUGGED for long periods of time. Is this the same testing that has Already been done?
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hi Erin, I finally got a chance to get back .....

Health wise, thanks for your concern and input.

I agree we are just surrounded with .... toxic stuff, almost impossible to avoid.

In my case the "cat is out of the bag", the damage is done and the only course of action, and what is anticipated at this time is the removal of a section of colon.

If everything says that things have remained "local" then that will be the extent of it.

I'm hopeful that that remains the case.

Now, on to other things ......

I have no idea why anyone would have you go through so many routers.

It "doesn't work that way"

Bill asked "why do you want a router with just one computer"?

I always recommend that a user have a router, even if for only one computer.

That router has a "always on" hardware firewall .... not a real good one but it serves one very important function.

I will reject all connections from the "outside" except in response to requested actions from the "inside"

When you start up your computer its "hardware" will be initialized and have "connectivity" before all of your protective software such as A/V and software firewall are loaded and active.

That very "stupid" hardware firewall will protect your system from intrusion during this time.

I like Routers.

Almost any router will do the job.

Some routers may provide better wireless coverage if your house is shaped like "this" a different model may work better if your house is shaped like "that".

Some have more "Bells & Whistles" but on the whole almost any router will serve.

There are however some older types of routers that may "choke" a little when compared to the newest standards but even they will work if a user is careful of some settings.

Routers, depending on their "generation" fall into  .... "speed grades" or standards.

These are going to be like "B", "G", "N" or "AC".

The current "everyday" standard is "N" and will be backward compatible with devices that use "G" or "B".

The thing is, the entire network will slow down to the "standard" of the slowest device connected to the network.

In addition to that, all routers have a QoS function ... that feature will be known by different names depending on the brand of router but its purpose is the same ... to "equalize" the "quality" of a connection that is ..... important word here ..... is SHARED.

A router is a "connection multiplier" and routers will attempt to "level off" performance to certain connection types ... VPN, FTP and so on.

This type of behavior works ..... if you have a GREAT BIG INTERNET PIPE ... something you don't have with a Hughes connection.

That setting as well as some possible IP address conflicts can kill the speed and performance of a "fragile" Hughes connection.

In addition, a router allows "sharing" and the more devices that are connected to that "fragile" connection the slower each becomes.

This is why Hughes asks that speed tests be performed with a single computer directly connected to the modem.

Being connected directly allows a system baseline performance level to be developed.

As to the Hughes connection itself, it is subject to "sharing" beamwide on a users connection , there are times where the weather is great a users location but is just terrible at the users Gateway location.

Example, I am located in west Michigan but my Gateway is in Flagstaff AZ. Weather can be great in one area but totally different in another.

Then we have the concept of "peak time" ... this occurs when more users within a beam/Gateway are all using the service at the same time and the entire system grinds to a halt.

Yup, you can read that as a localized "oversold".

Even at that, not all is lost ...

Once a "overload" is  ..... proved by a series of speed tests that show congestion the issue can be escalated to Engineering and while they move a snalls pace they can spread "pixie dust" on the servers or whatever they do and the issue .... eventually .. gets resolved.

But it all starts by those series of speed tests performed while connected directly.

With a router in the mix there is simply too great a likelihood of concurrent connections, IP address conflicts and having things like remote access, WPS and QoS having been enabled in the router to develop an accurate baseline that would cause them to add servers or shift your server ... they won't do it on a "maybe".

You had asked how to disable the "radio" on your router ....

Post the Brand, Model and version of your router and as soon as time allows I'll download the manual and post a screenshot.

The Hughes Modem has "internal" pages known as the SCC, found at 192.168.0.1

Your Router also has "internal" pages and this is where we will find the :"switch" to enable/disable the radio.

You had mentioned getting a 13.1.1 LAN Disconnect error .....

A router can be set up in one of two "modes" ....

The usual is "DHCP" mode which is to say the router handles the task of handing out IP addressing to connected devices.

A router can also be setup in "switch" mode. This is when the Modem handles DHCP duties .... I thought much of the Hughes Modem as a router.

That 13.1.1 error is when the Hughes modem generates a new IP address and a new "lease" is negotiated.

Some routers and some NIC cards are a little slow on the "uptake"

Enough for now, post the routers Brand, model and version and I'll download the manual and find the "radio" switch.

genedougherty

To me it is all bull! Why are we limited? If I have a plan that at one time was and is supposed to be unlimited...I watch a netflick...an that movie now cost me $65...something is wrong with this method of allotment. Notice I mentioned Wrong instead of just plain Gouging. Data has become a ridiculous method of the later. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

It is satellite with very limited throughput compared to cable with thousands of tentacles is the simple answer.
erinnystrom

Gwalk, thank you for explaining the router, some of it is way over my head as I'm sure you expected. I now know why that I should have router unhooked for speed test. My next question is, If I unplug the router and plug modem directly to computer, will whatever testing is done, explain all of the problems with X's in diagnostics, all of the other state codes that have been listed that I'm supposed to ignore, the you are not connected, ect.. I guess what I'm trying to ask can a bad router, cause all of these internet problems I have been having?  And yes my main reason for not wanting to unplug my router at this time is because of family health issues and having horrible phone reception, I'm just afraid there will be no way for someone to contact me if need be. Maybe I should postpone testing for now? If it's a quick test I don't mind, but if it's for long periods like in the past then I think I prefer to wait.
my current newest router is:netgearN900, n900 wireless dual band gigabit router, model wndr4500v2, I do not think there is a need for you to post the manual, I have a 20 page manual printed off. There is a power button on the back of it below all of the ports, I see there is two buttons on the top of the front of it, In the manual I just found what those buttons are. The wps button is what you were referring to as far as disabling radio button? and the next button below that is wifi ON/off. So if I disable the wps radio will people still be able to contact me if need be?
And if this testing is done how will I know when it's going to be tested? I'm confused I guess, from what I was understanding Is that you are not a hughes employee.Would I have to keep an eye on this posting site to know when test is going to be done?
erinnystrom

Gwalk, thank you for explaining the router, some of it is way over my head as I'm sure you expected. I now know why that I should have router unhooked for speed test. My next question is, If I unplug the router and plug modem directly to computer, will whatever testing is done, explain all of the problems with X's in diagnostics, all of the other state codes that have been listed that I'm supposed to ignore, the you are not connected, ect.. I guess what I'm trying to ask can a bad router, cause all of these internet problems I have been having?  And yes my main reason for not wanting to unplug my router at this time is because of family health issues and having horrible phone reception, I'm just afraid there will be no way for someone to contact me if need be. Maybe I should postpone testing for now? If it's a quick test I don't mind, but if it's for long periods like in the past then I think I prefer to wait.
my current newest router is:netgearN900, n900 wireless dual band gigabit router, model wndr4500v2, I do not think there is a need for you to post the manual, I have a 20 page manual printed off. There is a power button on the back of it below all of the ports, I see there is two buttons on the top of the front of it, In the manual I just found what those buttons are. The wps button is what you were referring to as far as disabling radio button? and the next button below that is wifi ON/off. So if I disable the wps radio will people still be able to contact me if need be?
And if this testing is done how will I know when it's going to be tested? I'm confused I guess, from what I was understanding Is that you are not a hughes employee.Would I have to keep an eye on this posting site to know when test is going to be done?
erinnystrom

I don't know why I keep getting doubled posting.
erinnystrom

Ok, I had powered off/on the router. I moved the hughes modem over out of the way so I could get the router information. I just checked the syst control center and there are X's in the LAN  current hr diagnostic, and a new 13.1.1 state code listed. Are those there from turning power off/on on the router or does that mean I have a bad LAN port or cord from moving it? 
erinnystrom

Now there is an X in dns acceleration. I will power the router off/on again to see If that answers my own ? above. I just powered router off/on. went to system control center, page was FROZE. I exited out, tried to reload and I got "can't reach this page"message. Now I got page to load, there is another 13.1.1 transition added, but no new X's in LAN. I just doulble checked modem and router cords, they are connected tight, I moved modem back over, and still no new LAN X's in current hr.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hi Erin,

If you have a router connected to the modem and you power off the router then it will cause a 13.1.1 error condition because there is nothing "live" connected to the modem.

As to DNS errors ....

DNS stands for Domain Name Server   ....

When you enter an address into your browser you enter something like www.cnn.com

You computer really doesn't "understand" that addressing format, it has to be changed to a numerical IP address such as  157.166.226.25

To find that numerical address your data request is sent to a DNS database and the info is returned your request for data is then processed and the page content is loaded into your browser.

Hughes maintains its own DNS database and ,,,, it can get a little troublesome from time to time.

The good news is that you don't HAVE to use the Hughes DNS service ... there are many others ... I use Google's DNS service and seldom see any DNS errors.

You stated:

"I just powered router off/on. went to system control center, page was FROZE. I exited out, tried to reload and I got "can't reach this page"message. Now I got page to load, there is another 13.1.1 transition added, but no new X's in LAN."

You have to remember the "communication leases" that have to exist.

Computer >>>>>> Router >>>>>> Modem

If you have a router connected and wish to see the modems SSC internal pages your computer has to go "through" the router to get to the Modem SCC.

Understand this the Hughes Modem has internal "hardware" that "sees" the next piece of "hardware" connected to it ... in this case the Router then your computer has internal "hardware" that has communicate a "communication lease" between itself and the Router.

Modem "talks" to Router, Router "talks" to computer.

If you power off one of the devices .... it will "break" the "communication lease" between those devices.

The leases will be reestablished automatically but is can take time ... some routers and NIC cards are slow on the "uptake" so certain  modem/router/computer combinations MAY show more of these transient errors than other Modem/Router?Computer combinations.

As to red "x"'s , the duration of the event will may not make a red "X" but it will show the 13.1.1 code condition.

Nothing really to worry about.

Remember, if a communication lease is "broken" by a power-off or the lease just "expired" due to time, then there is going to be a "hiccup" while a new lease is put into effect all along the "network communication line" consisting of .......

Modem makes a communication lease with Router, Router makes ... communication leases with all connected devices.

genedougherty

Is this the same as a hand in every pocket? All I want is my old system without all this jumbo crap. Hughes used to be in my mind No. 1...no longer the case...goodbye Hughes!
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hughes has always had data caps.
Granted that legacy 7000 and 9000 systems with a daily allowance did have an unmetered free period from 2 am to 7am
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I suggest you start a new post if you want help. This is a long and older thread, you'll get better help with your own new post instead of jumping on this one.
erinnystrom

Hello everyone, just a quick update. I have been working with engineers on my internet problems, more testing and resetting done and speeds have been tested again several times, download speeds tonight on testmy.net ranged from 384 Kbps to 1.2 Mbps. Yes- LAN plugged directly into computer. I have also noticed between testmy.net and bandwidthplace.com that I had more consistent readings with bandwidth.com. I would occasionally get abnormal high reading on testmy.net and sometimes it would take up to 15 min to do one download test. Problems all explained and Engineer agrees even though receiver keeps testing fine that it should be replaced as a process of elimination(Only thing that hasn't been replaced along with the coax). And problems I have been having could be caused by receiver. Even the major random data loss. A tech is coming Fri again, Engineer is requesting receiver be replaced no matter what it tests. I pray this is going to end the over two yr internet problems, and I pray nobody has to go through what I have had to go through.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Hope things get fixed but gotta say that bandwidthplace.com test reports very low. Here is back-to-back result from there and AT&T test which I know is pretty accurate on Gen4 HT1100. Ran the bandwidthplace test several times to be sure. It reports consistently low and I have a throughput meter that shows the data is just not being pushed at the available speed.

erinnystrom

Tonights bandwidth actually tested faster for me than the testmy.net tonight, still very slow speeds 0.64mbps-3.52mbps on download. I don't know why I would occasionally get a out of the blue abnorm high reading on the testmy.net or why sometimes it would take 15min to do download test or sometimes would just not do test, I think Engineer could feel my frustration with this testing because he would have to wait for the results also. LOL. And then to make things even worse I would loose him because of my phone reception.
erinnystrom

My data allowance was renewed on the 26th, I haven't gotten to do anything for my classes because nothing will load, tried for 4 hr period to watch a 18min class video, the farthest I could get on it was 7 min. I finally just gave up. Still haven't been able to do classes since because nothing will load. My data disappeared though even though I didn't get to use it again. At least I was happy that Engineers have been trying to get it to work. And I was happy that not one of them tried telling me it was my router again, especially with it not being connected. LOL! Hopefully will be fixed Friday.  

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

My data disappeared though even though I didn't get to use it again.

That then begs the question: What does Glasswire show for the period ?

Click on pic for larger image.

Use the yellow highlighted areas as a guide to narrow the period to a specific time frame

erinnystrom

Hi Gwalk, hope all is going well with you. I will post the Glasswire for you incase it helps with any learning of what could be going on with internet or a receiver but I am Hoping everything will just be fixed tomorrow. My emails haven't even been wanting to load lately. And every time I try to watch any class video it just keeps stopping within a couple of min. I had engineer on phone even when I would try to play video and everything he tried wouldn't help with it to play, that was with LAN plugged directly into computer. Everything he tried to do to make speeds faster wasn't helping.The speed I think is what causing nothing to play/load and was told that I will be loosing data from that happening. What's causing the slow speeds, ect... I'm really hoping everything will be fixed tomorrow. I will try to get to the router settings when I have more time, Thank you for the info and help on that. And I think I will have to add a different browser or something like you mentioned because I can't open some sites for example Livesuperfoods.com. I will wait till after tomorrow just incase that problem is cured also. LOL! have a good day! And another thing you might be interested in, I prefer to use my cellular data for my phone but I did turn wifi on my phone to test it, It would have full wifi signal, and I wouldn't be able to get phone to load by using wifi either. I would get message saying- safari could not open page because the server stopped responding. I don't know if that info is of any help or not but maybe could help with someone else's situation. Take care.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I will look over your glasswire picture and get back to you.
It really does pay to have at least two, if not more browsers available.

Today for example this Community website will not open at all. Using Firefox it opens right up.
I'll fix it but in the interest of connecting today it just was more expedient to use another browser.