cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DISAPPEARING DATA for over 2 yrs! HUGE PROBLEM!

Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

Re: DISAPPEARING DATA for over 2 yrs! HUGE PROBLEM!

Hughes has always had data caps.
Granted that legacy 7000 and 9000 systems with a daily allowance did have an unmetered free period from 2 am to 7am
Assistant Professor

I suggest you start a new post if you want help. This is a long and older thread, you'll get better help with your own new post instead of jumping on this one.

Hello everyone, just a quick update. I have been working with engineers on my internet problems, more testing and resetting done and speeds have been tested again several times, download speeds tonight on testmy.net ranged from 384 Kbps to 1.2 Mbps. Yes- LAN plugged directly into computer. I have also noticed between testmy.net and bandwidthplace.com that I had more consistent readings with bandwidth.com. I would occasionally get abnormal high reading on testmy.net and sometimes it would take up to 15 min to do one download test. Problems all explained and Engineer agrees even though receiver keeps testing fine that it should be replaced as a process of elimination(Only thing that hasn't been replaced along with the coax). And problems I have been having could be caused by receiver. Even the major random data loss. A tech is coming Fri again, Engineer is requesting receiver be replaced no matter what it tests. I pray this is going to end the over two yr internet problems, and I pray nobody has to go through what I have had to go through.
Assistant Professor

Hope things get fixed but gotta say that bandwidthplace.com test reports very low. Here is back-to-back result from there and AT&T test which I know is pretty accurate on Gen4 HT1100. Ran the bandwidthplace test several times to be sure. It reports consistently low and I have a throughput meter that shows the data is just not being pushed at the available speed.

Tonights bandwidth actually tested faster for me than the testmy.net tonight, still very slow speeds 0.64mbps-3.52mbps on download. I don't know why I would occasionally get a out of the blue abnorm high reading on the testmy.net or why sometimes it would take 15min to do download test or sometimes would just not do test, I think Engineer could feel my frustration with this testing because he would have to wait for the results also. LOL. And then to make things even worse I would loose him because of my phone reception.

My data allowance was renewed on the 26th, I haven't gotten to do anything for my classes because nothing will load, tried for 4 hr period to watch a 18min class video, the farthest I could get on it was 7 min. I finally just gave up. Still haven't been able to do classes since because nothing will load. My data disappeared though even though I didn't get to use it again. At least I was happy that Engineers have been trying to get it to work. And I was happy that not one of them tried telling me it was my router again, especially with it not being connected. LOL! Hopefully will be fixed Friday.  

Honorary Alumnus

My data disappeared though even though I didn't get to use it again.

That then begs the question: What does Glasswire show for the period ?

Click on pic for larger image.

Use the yellow highlighted areas as a guide to narrow the period to a specific time frame

Hi Gwalk, hope all is going well with you. I will post the Glasswire for you incase it helps with any learning of what could be going on with internet or a receiver but I am Hoping everything will just be fixed tomorrow. My emails haven't even been wanting to load lately. And every time I try to watch any class video it just keeps stopping within a couple of min. I had engineer on phone even when I would try to play video and everything he tried wouldn't help with it to play, that was with LAN plugged directly into computer. Everything he tried to do to make speeds faster wasn't helping.The speed I think is what causing nothing to play/load and was told that I will be loosing data from that happening. What's causing the slow speeds, ect... I'm really hoping everything will be fixed tomorrow. I will try to get to the router settings when I have more time, Thank you for the info and help on that. And I think I will have to add a different browser or something like you mentioned because I can't open some sites for example Livesuperfoods.com. I will wait till after tomorrow just incase that problem is cured also. LOL! have a good day! And another thing you might be interested in, I prefer to use my cellular data for my phone but I did turn wifi on my phone to test it, It would have full wifi signal, and I wouldn't be able to get phone to load by using wifi either. I would get message saying- safari could not open page because the server stopped responding. I don't know if that info is of any help or not but maybe could help with someone else's situation. Take care.

Honorary Alumnus

I will look over your glasswire picture and get back to you.
It really does pay to have at least two, if not more browsers available.

Today for example this Community website will not open at all. Using Firefox it opens right up.
I'll fix it but in the interest of connecting today it just was more expedient to use another browser.

Honorary Alumnus

Hi Erin,

Just took a cursory  peak at your Glasswire data ......:

First impression:
For the period 3/26 thru 3/31 (thus far) the lions share of your data was consumed by Win10's Edge browser .... and while we all have different browsing habits .... THAT IS A LOT OF DATA .... 9.1 GB to be exact.

I want you to compare that that to my Glasswire output for the same period:

While it is now secret around these parts that I'm not a fan of Win10 or (because I have Win10 on a test drive) or the Edge browser my suggestion is this:

Download and install Firefox. There is no need to make FF your default browser or any of those system changes ... Use Firefox for your daily routine, leaving Edge totally unused.

After a period of time, use Glasswire to look to see how much "browser data" you are using.