Hughesnet Community

DISAPPEARING DATA for over 2 yrs! HUGE PROBLEM!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erinnystrom

DISAPPEARING DATA for over 2 yrs! HUGE PROBLEM!

Had HughesNet hooked up11/26/12. The dish was placed on our new roof. We had the smallest pkg 10gb, 1 desk top,3 -4 smart phones. Internet worked great for first year, never even would use up all 10gb. Then as soon as the first yr went by our data started disappearing and problems with connecting and staying connected. Even when we had data still available we had slow connection speed and disconnecting problems off and on. When we would run out of data I would have problems getting my email to load and if could get connected to the internet on a site we couldn't go to another page or link. (beyond throttled). I also had drop box, and even though I would put things in drop box they wouldn't load. I would get up in morning and check downloads and they would say download interrupted, I would have to resume, restart, or just give up. We weren't doing anything different than before. Our phones were all set so no auto updating could happen and the background app refresh shut off. The computer was set to do any updating in middle of night. I called several times and explained we weren't doing anything different. We DO NOT do gaming, streaming movies, Pandora, and our tv isn't even hooked to internet. I have continuously had to up my data plan to the largest they have 50gb daytime, 50gb bonus between 2am-8am. Yes comes with a HUGE price tag. I kept getting told maybe it was my wifi router, I believe I'm on my 6th different router, now repeating brands because I was told a different recommendation of brand every time. I was also told maybe someone is stealing my data. Well not only is my wifi password protected, I live out in the boonies. My closest groc. store is 27 miles away. Then I was told it had to be my computer so they finally talked me into signing up with their partner Home Tech support for a year, however they said there is nothing wrong with the computer and they couldn't find any reason for data depletion. I've been on the phone with them prob. hundreds of times at this point, the average call is 20min. and I've literally been on the phone with them for over 2 hrs at a time several times doing every kind of testing they can do. The only problem that was ever admitted was that I had occasional slow speed. Last July 2015 a tech had told me the problem had to be the dish connecting with the satellite(no trees or anything blocking it). He explained it to me like this- the dish is having a hard time connecting to satellite so its using more data, like if a car was going down a smooth road you would have normal gas mileage, and if you go down rough terrain you're going to use more gas. Made sense to me, now I thought well if whatever is causing the rough terrain between the dish and satellite can be fixed that would end the problem, they finally sent a guy out and was supposed to replace the radio receiver on the dish. The guy said the original installers never bolted the dish down tight on the roof, so he tightened it down and realigned it. I was trying to think positive and hoped that it was fixed even though I would have felt better if the transmitter would have been replaced. Unfortunately it didn't change a darn thing. In Dec. I broke down and bought a new computer just incase Home Tech support was missing a problem with the other one. I write down the data remaining every time I go on the computer. I started taking online classes last summer, I am so afraid of using data that I try and stay up and do them during the middle of the night which is kind of defeating the purpose of the healing classes when I should be sleeping. I recently did a little data test with a 60mb audio download from my class, It used up 2gb to download. This month, only 10 days into new data refresh, I hadn't used my computer for a couple of days so I checked my data remaining and it had dropped 31.7gb. My kids have moved out and only come to visit and my husband has been working out of town and only home on weekends. Since I was the only one home, where did the data go? All of my data ended up disappearing. A few days ago I had a token applied and later I had checked my email and since I had data I was going to listen to a short audio that was linked from my email for a class, well even though I had data it wouldn't load, I shut everything down two times and it still wouldn't load. I called HughesNet and told him what was going on and while I had him on the phone it still wouldn't load. He finally said he would send out a tech. The tech came today, he did say the cable was a little loose on the radio receiver but everything tested fine so his boss said he couldn't replace receiver , although I would have been happier if he would have since he was here. So do you think after over 2 yrs with a connection problem that a loose cable will be the cause of hundreds of dollars spent needlessly, not including the frustration and stress and hours and hours on the phone and doing all of the testing. Did the tech that came in July miss the loose connection? I'm always told I have patience of a saint, but I can guarantee you the patience have ran out. I really pray it is fixed, but am so disgusted with what it has cost me. If It's not fixed this time I will be changing providers, I did hear that there is another option now available. If the loose connection is the cause I think HughesNet should give me over 2 yrs of free internet service.
189 REPLIES 189
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hi Erin,

Just took a cursory  peak at your Glasswire data ......:

First impression:
For the period 3/26 thru 3/31 (thus far) the lions share of your data was consumed by Win10's Edge browser .... and while we all have different browsing habits .... THAT IS A LOT OF DATA .... 9.1 GB to be exact.

I want you to compare that that to my Glasswire output for the same period:

While it is now secret around these parts that I'm not a fan of Win10 or (because I have Win10 on a test drive) or the Edge browser my suggestion is this:

Download and install Firefox. There is no need to make FF your default browser or any of those system changes ... Use Firefox for your daily routine, leaving Edge totally unused.

After a period of time, use Glasswire to look to see how much "browser data" you are using.